Thinkin’ that the proverbial frost on the pumpkin is on its way.


Well, it sure was brrrrrrrrrrrrisk this morning and that’s putting it mildly. I’m reluctant to concede that today’s weather is a harbinger of what lies ahead. Because Robb was out of the office most of the day, I piddled along taking my time waiting on some sunshine to materialize, but that never happened, so I finally left the house. It was a bruised and angry-looking sky and I wondered while I walked if I should have toted my umbrella, but I didn’t go back. It seemed to me alot of people must’ve gone pickin’ pumpkins at the pumpkin patch or the farm market because I saw a plethora of those huge gourds sitting pretty atop hay bales or adorning porch steps. Those big pumpkins will surely not spoil now with all this coolish weather. I walked down to Council Point Park and still there was not a single ray of sunshine so it seems the only beaming done this morning was by the happy Tigers fans. I did my two-mile loop around the Park’s perimeter, and there was only one other person on the trail, and he was so engrossed in his music that he tuned me out for sure, so it was as close to solitude as you could find. No train whistling or clacking along the tracks; nary a quacking duck, honking goose or burping frog. There was, however, an abundance of beautiful birdsong which was magic to my ears and once again I heard that mystery bird singing his heart out. I tried to whistle back but my lips were too cold to purse them and make my own music – I must find out who belongs to that voice. After leaving the Park, I took the long way home, looking to bank up more miles to compensate for my poor performance earlier this week, and I was about one mile from home when it started to sprinkle. Oops. Well, that put some speed into me to try to get home before getting sopping wet. I walked about four blocks and suddenly that overhead spigot was shut off thankfully, sparing me any further rain misery and soaking-wet clothes. I wasn’t going to tempt fate and take any more detours so I did not pass “go” and just went directly home, with a four-mile walk under my belt. The warm house was welcome and I was eager to come in and remove my soggy sweats and set a spell with my hands clasped around a warm cup of coffee. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

About lindasschaub

This is my first blog and I enjoy writing each and every post immensely. I started a walking regimen in 2011 and decided to create a blog as a means of memorializing the people, places and things I see on my daily walks. I have always enjoyed people watching, and so my blog is peppered with folks I meet, or reflections of characters I have known through the years. Often something piques my interest, or evokes a pleasant memory from my memory bank, and this becomes a “slice o’ life” blog post that day. I respect and appreciate nature and my interaction with Mother Nature’s gifts is also a common theme. Sometimes the most-ordinary items become fodder for points to ponder over and touch upon. My career has been in the legal field and I have been a legal secretary for over three decades, primarily working in downtown Detroit, and now working from my home. I graduated from Wayne State University with a degree in print journalism in 1978, although I’ve never worked in that field. I like to think this blog is the writer in me finally emerging!! Walking and writing have met and shaken hands and the creative juices are flowing once again in Walkin’, Writin’, Wit & Whimsy – hope you think so too.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s