Child’s play.

06-20-15

Well thankfully, the early morning was rain-free, and I had just completed my five-mile round trip when it started to drizzle.

This morning’s journey took me down to the River.  While that particular trek is not so much of a nature walk, it is a good five-mile trip and a chance to walk through three cities in one fell swoop:  Lincoln Park, Wyandotte and Ecorse.  The trip through Wyandotte is probably the longest leg of the trip, because once I’m down at Biddle Avenue, it is just a hop, step and a jump to the Ecorse city limits and the Water’s Edge Marina.

Just like the last time I was there, the rowing club members were congregating around their rig, and some were sipping hot beverages as I could see the steam rising from the cup.  It was a little nippy at the marina and there was even a chill in the air.  There was a man in an extra-wide paddleboat skimming silently over the still water.  I paused at the bridge over the most-scenic part of the marina, but there were no events that I had not already captured on my last visit, so I kept the camera tucked inside its case.  I stayed a short time, then headed off on my 2 ½ mile trek home.

Both coming and going, I checked to see if anyone was outside the home with the big tree house, but all was quiet.  I tilted my head up to the sky to see if I could see any more progress since my last visit, but it was status quo, probably due to all the rain we’ve had so Dad couldn’t work on it much in his spare time.

You might recall that I stopped and chatted with the homeowners a few weeks ago and they told me all that remained to finish up the tree house was putting in electricity.  I marveled at that statement, but, in retrospect, I shouldn’t have been surprised since that tree house is a work of art.  If you look at my blog post, “Woodn’t it be nice?” from August 10th last year, https://lindaschaubblog.net/2014/08/10/woodnt-it-be-nice  you’ll see just what a masterpiece the tree house has become.  Check out the front porch.

06-20-15a

This year, Dad has added a real spiffy back entrance and a sign that says “Welcome to our Tree House” … there will be no shimmying up the tree or using the largest branches as a foothold for those who wish to escape and get away from it all.  Nope, they’ll simply tell their parents “see ya later” and walk up the stairs using the railing for good measure.  And, those youngsters will not be tucked away from the rest of the world and not know what’s happenin’ on the street, because there are windows to look out of.  I must ask the homeowners if Wi-Fi and a big-screen TV will be included as well.

Several years ago I wrote a post about this Dad after he hung up a rope swing with a cherry-red wooden seat from the big tree out front.  I would have given anything to have a rope swing to while away the hours when I was a kid, but … first, we didn’t have a tree, and second, my skid marks on the grass would not have gone over well with my father who prided himself on his perfect lawn.

So, kudos to this dad for catering to his kids and making this house a home away from home, er “Tree House, Sweet Tree House”.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Child’s play.

1. Marge Aubin says:

Linda does he really have kids or is this his ‘dog house’. I tell everyone I see about that TREE HOUSE a very nice man and wife put love in it

Yes, there is a lot of love and effort put into this tree house … I have never seen a kid or kids around the house, but when I walk by during the week they would be in school and on the weekends, maybe sleeping in probably. They are lucky to have a father who dedicates so much time into making them happy.

2. ann marie stevens says:

thanks for the nice picture of that tree house…………..when we were young a long time ago we climbed trees for fun…but never had a tree house………………..we played “Jungle”………………………

When I was young (also a long time ago) there were no trees as I lived in a new subdivision and I am a fraidy cat so I probably would never have climbed a tree – I’m not the most coordinated person in the world and probably would have fallen and broken something. This tree house is really something … the second house off Ferris on Emmons heading toward the river (right-hand side). They always decorate very nice – it has a real homey feel to it and a big flag “Life is Good” out front.

3. Uncle Tree says:

Oh, yes! 🙂 Love it, Linda! I could dig a man cave like that.

I wonder if the Dad (or the Mom) will take it over when the kids outgrow it. They are a nice couple and decorate with a country flair around their house and I have stopped to compliment them on their decor in the past – I will ask them if they will keep it for themselves.

4. several people have built these tree houses in Vancouver and after finishing a nieghbour complained! Bringing out the Bylaw enforcement and issuing them a fine If they do not tear it down!
    So many people do not care about other people!

I am shaking my head over that Wayne. This homeowner must have more agreeable neighbors. I think the kids are grown now – in fact a girl’s photo in a graduation 2020 message was on a sign in the front yard. I think there were two or three kids using it.
      The photos don’t do this tree house justice. You can see in the earlier link how he built it over the course of the Summer.

• I like the fact that he did that but think he missed the boat on that one………..he could of made it even more important to his kids If they all built it together! He could of been like conductor in organizer separate tasks for each one! Building together will bring them together. Sharing is the glue that binds.

You do have a point there Wayne … unless they were too young, but even if too young, like you said, they could hand him tools, or he could show them step-by-step. My father never showed me how to do anything in the house and after he was gone, we had a kindly neighbor who treated me like his daughter. He would help me do things and he would have me stand there and watch what he did and do it myself. One time when I had my Pacer, it had these strange molded panels inside the driver and passenger doors. In those days, it was full-serve gas stations and I had a locking gas cap. I handed the gas station attendant my key for the gas tank lock. It was on a very small keychain and I kept it in the car’s ashtray. He handed it back and somehow dropped it in the window well. So Jim (neighbor) said it was a simple fix … “we’ll take off the door molding and go in from the bottom” … so we used an Allen wrench, took off the door panel, retrieved the key … easy as pie, but I’d have never attempted it. Whenever I have had to put something together using an Allen wrench since then, I always remember that afternoon with Jim.

• you admit to driving a Pacer? Brave soul!
        Yes,as long as the children feel like they have helped build it,it’ll be worth it alone!

I agree – there is always room to learn new things. Yes, I got rid of the 1973 VW Super Beetle as it was a lemon and got the Pacer in 1977. It was a bigger lemon. Replaced two gas tanks as it dragged low on the ground and made minute cracks and like the VW bug, it had stalling issues. The silly car fishtailed like crazy in the smallest amount of snow and I don’t like driving in snow to begin with. It was pretty handy to haul home all the bags of dirt, bark and 2′ X 4′ landscaping ties when I redid the backyard though. Messed up the spring and had to have them replaced. That was a job for younger legs, that’s for sure!

• as you and any good CDN in standing kmows…..when your car fishtails that means your rear end is too light. We always kept several hundred pounds of sand bags over the rear axle. Not only did it stop fish tailing but could be used to put under a tire for traction. If you don’t have sand use your car mats! They act pretty good for tire grip!

I am trying to remember what I used … I think it was large bags of cat litter if I remember correctly. Yes, it was really a lightweight car and in the Summer, it was like being in a fishbowl and I think it had no A/C – you thought you’d melt away. That’s good to know about the car mats – the worst was driving home from my grandmother’s funeral … we left the church, got our bags and started home in a few snowflakes … we had a horrible snowstorm driving home and should have pulled off and gotten a hotel, but we went on, driving in a snowplow’s tire tracks for a while. Took us twice as long (8 hours instead of 4 hours) and I thought we’d never get home.

• No,litter material isn’t heavy. It won’t work. If you had sand bags and litter,yes! Generally people who take precautions drive with safety in mind.
        The people who get stuck are the ones who drive reckless and unprepared. You can’t do anything about stupid.

This year I bought two large containers of kitty litter for the porch and stairs. When we have ice, the Prestone Heat crystals do not always melt the ice and I never wanted to put them out anyway when I fed the squirrels on the porch. So I’ve read to spread kitty litter, so I got some … not that I want ice to try it out. We have this ugly Winter storm coming Monday/Tuesday. I’m hoping it fizzles out but does not sound promising.

• kitty litter is perfect for the steps! I still prefer sand for the car. Remember whatever is on the ground just out front of your house will be tracked in!

Yes, I put ant stuff out to get rid of the carpenter ants and little ants around the perimeter after I took Hope’s feeder in for the season. It is everywhere and I put it neatly, but the first major rain, caused it to drift. I didn’t want to waste it, though it got a good 10 days before it rained, but now this sawdust-like stuff is everywhere. I rarely take my car out in Winter and less this Winter due to COVID. I am like a little old lady with the car.

• I always drove slow when I drove my car. I’m sure I pissed off a lot of heavy footers!

I have always driven slow, even in good weather. We have one expressway here – I-696. Drivers go very fast on it. Went once, never again. Some of the bigger metroparks are only accessible via 696. So I won’t be going there anytime soon. When we visited my grandmother in Toronto, there were three or more expressway changes to make after getting off the 401 … I was a nervous wreck by the time we arrived at her house.

• ya,that kind of stuff does stress ones mind! If you do it all the time you get use to it.

Yes, I took driver’s training in the Winter to get used to it. But we had a fairly good Winter during that time and I never drove in snow. My father had a stick shift and didn’t want me driving his “baby” (his 1972 Impala he kept in the garage and used as a Sunday car). The first year I drove to college, I had the VW Beetle, hit a patch of ice and the car spun around several times – scary as the campus was near an undeveloped area of land, which they broke ground the following year for a big enclosed mall. So there were ditches on either side. Thankfully I didn’t end up in one and I was probably distracted as I had finals that morning and my first Winter driving. After that, I do not like driving in Winter at all.

5. Wow — that’s an amazing tree house!