Thinking ahead, so squirrelling away …

08-12-15

I was ready to hit the ground running today for a pleasurable and well-deserved long walk.

The morning air had a real Fall-like feel to it and it was breezy as well. As usual, I “dressed wrong”, despite listening to two weather forecasts before I left. I must admit I was chilly as I walked along the water’s edge.

Just like this little squirrel at the Park, I, too, have been thinking ahead to the cold and nasty weather that is just a few short months away. You know it is coming – the sun is a slacker these days … later to rise and going to bed earlier, so, for the past few days I’ve been laying in pantry provisions for the Winter months. I trekked around Meijer for hours, then schlepped bags in from the car, one by one, to build up some walking steps, and, before I was done, I had slowly filled the pantry shelves, plus added multiple miles to my walking total.

So, you see my little furry friend is not the only one squirreling away food for the future; I just don’t run like heck and bury my stuff like he does.

I noted that the grocery store is slowly morphing from a Summer extravaganza to Autumn happenings. The BBQs and patio furniture are on sale for a song, and the fertilizer and bug repellent have been tucked away, only to be replaced by backpacks and lunch totes, not to mention the traditional back-to-school items like paper and pencils. Quite honestly, I didn’t think kids used those basic items anymore.

All too soon, the rows of rakes will uniformly line the aisles and yard waste bags will be piled sky high on end caps, all to be used to snag and capture all the brittle Fall leaves. I’m sure the store’s creative designer is tapping his or her foot, just waiting for the school supplies to be scooped up, so the Halloween items and Fall décor can be shuffled in quickly.

You’ll know Fall has arrived once you see the bales of hay, exquisite mums and gangly or misshapen-looking gourds gracing the entrance to the store, and, don’t forget the caramel apples once they show up in the produce department. I’ve had an unexpected treat all Summer since Meijer had decided to carry apple cider all year around now, so, no need to wait ‘til harvest time and hoodie weather to sip that tasty and aromatic drink.

My trip to the Park was rewarding as I took in the rich beauty of a sunny Summer Day and a nature alcove plunked in the middle of the city. I walked two complete loops before heading home, and truly hated to go inside as it was just a glorious day … I wished I could bottle it up to exchange it for one of those blustery, ugly snow-filled days we’ll have come January or February.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Thinking ahead, so squirrelling away …

1. Marge Aubin says:

I love your squirrel. That peanut is so sweet. It’seems this summer flew by and now you can feel fall slipping in. The air seems to make me feel, fall is soon to come. Heck I don’t want it. I love fall but I wish we could skip winter.

I love Fall too Marge – it has always been my favorite time of year – that kind of surprises me since it leads right into Winter and I hate Winter (as you know). And, the last two years Fall has come to an abrupt halt when we had snow by mid-November. I keep hearing good news that this El Nino weather will give us a mild Winter so I am keeping my fingers crossed for that to really happen. The first year that I walked (2011-2012) was that very mild Winter – I walked all Winter long … and not in boots. I liked this squirrel too – he was one of the few that would take a peanut … guess he wants peanut butter on a Ritz cracker instead like my mom and I used to make Sammy.

2. Cheryl Zelek says:

Oh, yes, kids still use paper and pencils. In fact, you can be a real school hero if you go out and purchase packs of paper and packages of pencils [or crayons, etc] and donate them to your neighborhood schools. So many kids do not have these items and the school’s budget do not account for the sheer volume needed. When Staples or Office Max or who ever has those awesome penny sales, think of kids who won’t be going back to school this year with a new backpack or lunch box or even supplies.

I wrote a long comment and it flew off the screen into cyberspace … hmmm. This is why pencil and paper is good sometimes for goodness sake. I thought that more and more schools were going to laptops, obviating the need for the traditional supplies that you/I grew up using. Here in Detroit they have people or groups who donate backpacks filled with school supplies that are given to needy schoolkids.

3. ann marie stevens says:

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr….don’t say those two words…………..January and February……………….where on earth did you come up with that word: “schlleped” yes I have heard it before but never saw it in writing till now…………..thanks
    annm

4. lindasschaub says:

I like that word too Ann Marie. Years ago I worked with a Jewish woman at a law firm. I always took the bus and she always drove in from Southfield. I would always have my bus bag with my umbrella, a lightweight fold-up raincoat (and even more extra stuff that I carried in the Winter weather since I got stranded downtown for hours and hours once), book, lunch and sometimes would keep my purse in it – that bag was pretty huge and my mom used to say I’d walk over to one side in later years as I always carried it on the right side. Debbie, even though she drove, hated to drive in rush-hour traffic, so she left her house at 6:30 a.m. to arrive at work at 7:00 a.m. to beat the rush hour. So her bag contained her “Free Press”, her breakfast, her lunch, and she belonged to a book club, so a hardcover book. Her favorite Yiddish expression was “oy vey … why am I also schlepping so much stuff around – I’m as bad as you and I drive.” I just like the sound of that word.