Bearing down on 350 miles …


Today was a long day – in fact an extra-long day.

It began at 3:00 a.m. when an explosion in the neighboring city of Melvindale rocked my house.

That big bang was unlike anything I’ve ever heard, or felt, before and thereafter there was a long rumble in the still of the dark night.

I sprang up out of the bed with a start and hit the ground running to see what happened, holding my breath the entire time that it was not nearby and an evacuation would be in order.

With legs that felt like lead, and sleep still in my eyes, I hustled to the front door. Enroute, of course I imagined the worse … a power plant explosion?  Or a flare-up at the Marathon refinery which is only about four miles away?   Perhaps it was a stray firecracker landed near gasoline in someone’s garage?  I’ve been on pins and needles from all the fireworks that have been going off since before Memorial Day, especially of late, given our drought-like conditions.

I switched on the light and opened the front door to see a horizon featuring a bright-orange sky and great plumes of white smoke billowing high into the dark night.

“Oh my God, oh my God” was all I could say.

I stayed at the door about two or three minutes, while watching the lit-up sky and smoke as I kept waiting for the wail of sirens, but didn’t hear any. Why was everything going in slow motion?  Thinking I should contact the police or fire department, I raced back to the kitchen, and tried to do so, but my hands were trembling so much that I could not punch in the numbers, long committed to memory.  I think I finally got the fire department’s number, but it was busy. I don’t know why  I never thought to dial “911”.

Finally, I put on the radio and WWJ’s weather report was on – all was right with the world at 3:09 a.m. or so … that is, the world beyond Downriver.

I hurried back to the front door – a vivid sky and more smoke, but finally there were sirens that were sounding so shrill in the early morn. Finally at 3:18 a.m., WWJ’s traffic reporter and the news anchor said they were both inundated with tipster calls about an explosion, smoke and sirens, then slowly the story began to unfold.  At that time, speculation was that the event was an explosion at the nearby Marathon refinery.  Soon emotional eyewitness accounts of evacuation and close calls with the burning inferno encompassed the entire newscast.

I finally shut the front door, and made a cup of strong coffee, nursing it as I listened to the details as more first responders appeared on the scene.

It was gripping.

It was horrible.

And, it sure was scary.

I discovered the kaboom was a natural gas explosion after a car ran into the line.

I made and ate breakfast and kept the radio on, as a reporter headed to the scene, giving us more details to help fill in the blanks and bring empathy for those who left the sanctity of their home clutching children and cellphones … and each other. People fretted for their pets which were left behind as they beat a hasty retreat.

Later, when I left for my walk, it was coolish – cardigan weather again. The sky was a mottled gray.  I don’t think I heard a single weather forecast, uncharacteristic for me – did they have the meteorologist on during the time I listened to the newscast … or was I just not tuned in to him or her?  Was it going to rain, or was it just dark from all the smoke earlier today?

As I headed out, it was a sleepy Saturday morning in the neighborhood. Either everyone had left for the North country for the long holiday weekend, or had rolled over for a second snooze after their sleep was interrupted by the explosion.  I stopped to chat with a man hand-watering his flowers in front of his house.  We talked about the explosion … and the fear of the aftermath.

I needed that walk to clear my head. I was hoping to walk five miles today, but I guess I didn’t have it in me.  However, I am “bearing down” on 350 miles walked thus far in 2016, so I am happy about that because that was my goal for the 4th of July.

The events of the morning made me feel old – I’m sure I lost another five years off my life, and snagged a few more gray hairs. Though I’m not a salt-and-pepper hair color like “Baxter”, the bear from my collection that is featured above, a few more Saturday starts like this one might just make me resemble that ol’ bear.

About Linda Schaub

This is my first blog and I enjoy writing each and every post immensely. I started a walking regimen in 2011 and decided to create a blog as a means of memorializing the people, places and things I see on my daily walks. I have always enjoyed people watching, and so my blog is peppered with folks I meet, or reflections of characters I have known through the years. Often something piques my interest, or evokes a pleasant memory from my memory bank, so this becomes a “slice o’ life” blog post that day. I respect and appreciate nature and my interaction with Mother Nature’s gifts is also a common theme. Sometimes the most-ordinary items become fodder for points to ponder over and touch upon. My career has been in the legal field and I have been a legal secretary for four decades, primarily working in downtown Detroit, and now working from my home. I graduated from Wayne State University with a degree in print journalism in 1978, though I’ve never worked in that field. I like to think this blog is the writer in me finally emerging!! Walking and writing have met and shaken hands and the creative juices are flowing once again in Walkin’, Writin’, Wit & Whimsy – hope you think so too. - Linda Schaub
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Bearing down on 350 miles …

  1. Marge Aubin says:

    My family and I missed the hoopla. Even my dog didn’t seem to flinch. I hope the gentleman that caused this up roar will be alright. I love your patriotic bear.


    • lindasschaub says:

      You must have been in a sound sleep … that blast rocked the house and continued to rumble for a few minutes later – I jumped out of bed and tore down the hall. My mom bought me that bear at a flower shop we visited in Dearborn one time – cute little place called “Busy Bee” I think it was. She got the patriotic sweater at Michaels. I tried sitting him by himself but the background wasn’t right, so left him with his “peeps”.


  2. Ann Marie stevens says:

    Miss Linda……………………………I’m sorry that you had to hear that explosion and witness the smoke and all of the worry………………………………..I’m going to have to read all about it tomorrow in the newspapers……………………so at 60 you don’t have any grey hairs yet?………………….I went for a walk too this morning and had to turn back for a long sleeve shirt


    • lindasschaub says:

      Hi Ann Marie – Most of my hair is still a dirty blonde, but I’ve got a few more strands than I’d care to have in my hair – mostly at the temples. I used to highlight my hair, but after I stopped working on site, I just let it grow out as it was subtle anyway and just looked like the sun did the highlights. That explosion really scared me – that ball of fire and the orange sky and the rumbling noise – didn’t know what it was, or how close. A million things going through my mind – was it loud at your apartment?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s