High winds and hatpins.


Well, the weather folks had been predicting all along that we’d have a windy Wednesday, and, sure enough … they were right. In fact, as I write this blog post, the wicked winds are still raging, with the occasional gust up to 38 mph.

But, the weather folks also mentioned that the high wind advisory would not begin until 10:00 a.m.; they were a tad off on that prediction.

I figured I had the perfect window of opportunity to go for a stroll and return before Mother Nature turned on the industrial-sized fans.

I was happy to escape for a walk, having been held hostage by sprinkles and spritzes which wreaked havoc with my morning walk two days in a row. That rainy weather got me thinking that we had flipped the calendar from the month of March and were having April showers.  But, March eventually resurfaced, complete with its infamous high winds.

When I left the house, the winds were already humming along at about 20 mph. As I shut the door, it caught in the wind momentarily, so I  jiggled the screen door handle to ensure it shut properly, simultaneously patting my hat in place, firmly down over my ears, just in case the wind sent it airborne.  You might recall that a few years ago, while walking at Council Point Park, a gust of wind sent my beret airborne, just like a Frisbee, and, it flew over the Ecorse Creek, hooking onto an old branch.

Just like today, it was a hold-onto-your-hat kind of day.

I headed over to Emmons Boulevard, as the Park would have been way too windy with all its open spaces. As I crossed the footbridge, there were about twenty Canada Geese milling about, some in the water, and a few had climbed up onto the homeowner’s lawn that is adjacent to the Creek.  They were strutting around, not giving one whit if it was crazy windy out there or not.

I got a few blocks past the footbridge and a terrific gust of wind pummeled me and I had to stop and actually stand in place to keep my balance. Yikes!  Time to turn around and head home.  The wind siege apparently had begun already, and, all the way home, those occasional gusts were so strong, they threatened to knock me right off my feet.  I was happy to get to my street, and hurried up the driveway and into the house.

The extraordinarily high winds got me thinking about an incident with a black felt fedora many years ago, and that hat is pictured above.

I had a below-the-knee, gray dress coat, with a fox-trimmed collar and lapels. Since it was a dressy coat, I got a pair of black leather boots, black scarf and black kid gloves to accessorize it.  But, that ensemble needed a hat, and not just a beret, or wool cap like I usually wore in the Winter elements – no, that coat needed something with a little pizzazz and flair.  So, I bought this black fedora with the bright feather in the band.  It had sash straps as well, which enabled you to convert the hat to tie it under your chin.

To wear this hat stylishly, one had to adjust it on their head just so. For me, that was a little hard since I had long hair, and, tucking all that hair, plus the sash straps inside the hat and out of sight, made it difficult to keep the hat sitting right on my head and not rocking back and forth.  In fact, I soon discovered, I couldn’t talk much, or even chew gum, or the hat would slowly start rising off the top of my head.  Not a good look.

It sure wasn’t practical for taking the bus, so I only wore the coat and its accessories on special occasions.

And, yup – when I wore it, I thought I was “all that”, like when my grandmother and I went to Midnight Mass one year. It was a cold and frosty December 24th, and, there we were, walking arm-in-arm, alongside all the neighbors from St. Clarens Avenue, as we headed en masse up that steep climb to Dundas Street and St. Helen’s Church.  My grandmother never missed Sunday mass, and everyone on the street attended St. Helen’s, so there would be visiting, catching up and gossiping about the past week as we ascended the hill.

Just before we were ready to leave, we put on our heavy coats, then our hats. My grandmother was wearing a black pillbox hat.  She wagged a finger at me and warned that my exposed ears were going to freeze since my long hair was all tucked up out of sight, and handed me a big woolen scarf to wear instead.  But vain me, of course, would not hear of it.  Instead, I plopped the fedora on my head defiantly, to which Nanny said “not only will you freeze your ears off, that silly hat is going to fly off your head when we walk up the street.”  She marched over to her bureau, opened a drawer and pulled out a worn burgundy velveteen box and slowly pulled out a long pin with an ornate rhinestone rosette on the pinhead.  “Here” she said.  “This hatpin will do the trick and keep your hat on your head where it belongs, so you can concentrate on the service, and, besides, it will be handy if anyone gets smart with you!”

She carefully wove that hatpin through the hat, and my hair, as I tried not to grimace when she jabbed my scalp more than once.

Then we set off to join the procession up the street to Midnight Mass.

Well, no one got smart with me, and my hat stayed intact, even though I lost that hatpin somewhere on the way home. I retraced our steps on Christmas Day when it was light, and, it was nowhere to be found.

I have never worn that black felt fedora since that night. It has languished on the top of the cedar closet, sealed in a clear plastic bag, some thirty odd years, until I took it down to take this picture.

P.S. – Since writing this 2017 post, I have digitized all my photo albums and updated this post to include a photo of the aforementioned hat and coat. The coat is long gone, but the hat remains sitting on a shelf in the cedar closet in a plastic bag.

About Linda Schaub

This is my first blog and I enjoy writing each and every post immensely. I started a walking regimen in 2011 and decided to create a blog as a means of memorializing the people, places and things I see on my daily walks. I have always enjoyed people watching, and so my blog is peppered with folks I meet, or reflections of characters I have known through the years. Often something piques my interest, or evokes a pleasant memory from my memory bank, so this becomes a “slice o’ life” blog post that day. I respect and appreciate nature and my interaction with Mother Nature’s gifts is also a common theme. Sometimes the most-ordinary items become fodder for points to ponder over and touch upon. My career has been in the legal field and I have been a legal secretary for four decades, primarily working in downtown Detroit, and now working from my home. I graduated from Wayne State University with a degree in print journalism in 1978, though I’ve never worked in that field. I like to think this blog is the writer in me finally emerging!! Walking and writing have met and shaken hands and the creative juices are flowing once again in Walkin’, Writin’, Wit & Whimsy – hope you think so too. - Linda Schaub
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to High winds and hatpins.

  1. Majorie Aubin says:

    Aw! Memories. .. Grandmothers always knew what would work best. Do you still have the coat. I bet you looked stylish.


    • lindasschaub says:

      Yes, nice memories of that night Marge. I don’t have the coat anymore as it got too tight. It was fitted and flared at the bottom. You really couldn’t wear anything heavy under that coat because of the way it was made. I do have a picture of me wearing it in a photo album, or I used to. I will send it to you when I scan in all the other pictures … I only scanned in some of them. Have a lot of albums and they are all in the bottom of the closet in the den, or I’d have used that picture for sure.


  2. Pingback: The Locket. | WALKIN', WRITIN', WIT & WHIMSY

  3. Joni says:

    Oh I loved this post and I loved the picture Linda! What year is it? You look so stylish. My mom had a beige fedora, which we still have, the same year I bought my beige Lady Diana hat with the long feather in it, which I also still have. I wore it to midnight mass with my camel coat with the fox fur collar and thought I was the cat’s meow!

    Liked by 1 person

    • Linda Schaub says:

      Thank you Joni! I was like you and thought I was the cat’s meow in that outfit … all dressed up and nowhere to go as I didn’t wear it to work. Mom took my picture in the kitchen. The black high leather boots were not practical for Winter for climbing onto the bus. I still have the boots, scarf, long kid gloves and I think the purse too (I have a box with purses and I stopped taking a purse and just used a tote bag on the bus) – no coat though. I would say from the early 80s … my grandmother passed away in January 1986 and I wore it for midnight mass with her a few years before. I think it was a princess-style flared coat and would not accommodate more than a dress underneath it … no suit or heavy cardigan and also not practical to wear to/from work. Funny we both had the same type of coat, hat with a feather and wore it to midnight mass. Felt hats were all the style and they sure didn’t keep your head warm – neither did the fine wool scarf instead of a knit wool scarf and the kid gloves instead of warm wool gloves or mittens. We did not care about staying warm. 🙂

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s