Patience is a virtue.


It was breezy and almost balmy as I set out on this third day of the long holiday weekend, which sadly is zipping by all too quickly.

Is there still mayhem at the malls, or, perhaps people are patronizing their local shops for “Small Business Saturday” … or, maybe folks are content to hunker down at home, munch on a turkey and stuffing sandwich and just relax a bit.

I passed on the early morning mayhem this holiday weekend and painted instead.  I wish I could tell you I was creating a masterpiece that could hang on my wall and be admired by many, but, it is not that exciting.

I had an early morning paint session in the basement these last three days, and, most likely tomorrow morning as well.  You long-time followers of this blog will recall the June plumbing disaster where a jackhammer was used to open the drain in the laundry room, resulting in a concave cement mess surrounding the drain, in an area about three by four feet.  I painted that area over the 4th of July weekend and threw the paint out, knowing there would be no more basement drains opened up again (hopefully in my lifetime anyway).  But, little did I know, that in late October, water would be seeping from the drain under the laundry tub, necessitating a sledgehammer to open that drain to clear it.  The plumbers scraped up the original paint job during the second plumbing debacle, so, here I was, barely getting past the suggested waiting period of thirty days after the cement cured, to return to the same task that consumed four mornings in July.  The paint color this time is Valspar’s “Shiitake” and yes, it is the color of a mushroom.

I’ll tell you that all the walking I do may be good for my cardiovascular health, but it doesn’t keep me limber.  I can confirm that fact at the beginning of every gardening season when I feel like I have been run over by a Mack truck after a day doing yard cleanup.  Climbing down, squatting or kneeling to get to the back of the laundry tub near the wall was simply not doable for me because, if a centipede ran out from a hidey hole, I’d have had a heart attack as I couldn’t scramble to my feet on time.  So, I gerry-rigged a long handle to a paintbrush and painted those faraway places that way and called it done.  But, I still had to bend and reach other places that were more visible, and, a few unused muscles reminded me the morning after the first date with a paint brush, that I should factor some stretching into my exercise regimen.  I really didn’t feel like a slacker, but I guess I am.

Once the paint can was tapped shut and the vinyl gloves discarded, I hurried upstairs to see if that forecasted drizzle had arrived yet.  Sprinkles or drizzle were in the forecast for the early morn, but, being a weekend, I figured I could hold off a little longer before leaving.  After all, I had miles to walk, goals to be accomplished, not to mention a slew of hungry squirrels waiting for me down at Council Point Park.

So,  I waited an hour and good things come to those who wait.  Suddenly there was a sliver of sun and blue sky filtering through the clouds that were quickly disappearing.  So, off I went on a morn that felt balmy and breezy like the first Spring day when you leave the hat at home, unbutton your coat and carry your gloves … well, almost. A girl can dream anyway.  But, the weather sure was better than those bitter cold and blustery days of late.

So … rain, what rain?  Nothing rained on my parade.  Patience was a virtue because I added another six miles to my total miles walked in 2017.

[Image by StockSnap from Creative Commons and Pixabay]

About Linda Schaub

This is my first blog and I enjoy writing each and every post immensely. I started a walking regimen in 2011 and decided to create a blog as a means of memorializing the people, places and things I see on my daily walks. I have always enjoyed people watching, and so my blog is peppered with folks I meet, or reflections of characters I have known through the years. Often something piques my interest, or evokes a pleasant memory from my memory bank, so this becomes a “slice o’ life” blog post that day. I respect and appreciate nature and my interaction with Mother Nature’s gifts is also a common theme. Sometimes the most-ordinary items become fodder for points to ponder over and touch upon. My career has been in the legal field and I have been a legal secretary for four decades, primarily working in downtown Detroit, and now working from my home. I graduated from Wayne State University with a degree in print journalism in 1978, though I’ve never worked in that field. I like to think this blog is the writer in me finally emerging!! Walking and writing have met and shaken hands and the creative juices are flowing once again in Walkin’, Writin’, Wit & Whimsy – hope you think so too. - Linda Schaub
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Patience is a virtue.

  1. Ann Marie stevens says:

    Dear Miss “Patience is a virtue”………………………..I like the idea of taping a paint brush on a long pole………………………that is pretty smart………………………..yes it was calm and balmy this morning for a walk………………………no need for gloves and a scarf………………………..and I’m glad no Mr. Centipede scooted across the floor near you……………………..or I would have heard you yelling way over here……………………….


    • lindasschaub says:

      Ann Marie – I knew that to sit or kneel on the floor and/or sit on my haunches was not happening either – I just cannot scramble to my feet like the olden days … I can’t even put stuff in the backs of the cupboards in the kitchen as I can’t readily access them anymore. I thought it was pretty smart too … I bought some wooden rulers at Meijer as I only got two paint stir sticks from Lowes and thought I may need a fresh one for each day I painted … I like to clean up every day and not have stuff hanging around, especially now since the furnace is on in the laundry room. It was different when I painted in the Summer and the A/C was on. So I bought extra wooden rulers. Took two, taped them together so it was about 18 inches long (didn’t want it flimsy so had to compromise six inches), then taped a fresh paintbrush on there every time I pained – only painted in the back twice … it worked well. No one sees back there, but I didn’t want to leave it unpainted. I’ve not seen any centipedes yet thankfully and yes, you would have heard me yelling at your place.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s