Grumpy Goose #Wordless Wednesday #Gander got his dander up

Wordless Wednesday – allow your photo(s) to tell the story.

This entry was posted in nature, walk, walking and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Grumpy Goose #Wordless Wednesday #Gander got his dander up

Grumpy or just plain mean? Now there’s the question in my mind.

Grumpy was probably politer than what the goose actually was.

First he strutted around the shoreline as if he owned the place, Then he was paddling around honking and hissing to no one in particular. Next he started picking on the other goose. I was glad the other goose eventually hissed back. Then a minute later they left together – best buds. They are ornery for no reason sometimes. I always give them wide berth in the Park, especially when the gander is watching over his goslings. He will watch your every move until you have passed by. That is kind of a tender moment – they protect their young with fierce devotion.

The rest of the time … well you’re left shaking your head at the histrionics.

2. What a wordless story! Beautifully displayed!

Awesome photos Linda, they do speak for themselves. The geese have arrived and seem to be arguing with each other this time of year. I walked down to the lagoon yesterday, and that seems to be all they are doing right now. Claiming territories and squawking away. Spring is here 🙂

Thanks Sandra – glad you liked them. Yes, I wanted to show how cantankerous that goose was. He had an attitude on the shoreline and no one (as in waterfowl) seemed to pay attention to his noise and hissing, so he went into the water and picked on the other goose. During the course of the day Saturday I must have seen 50-60 geese and they were all honking (none of them hissing like this fellow though). Yes, territorial and I think they will mate soon – our goslings usually show up just before Mother’s Day. Last year we had several families and they had the goslings in stages, so we had them in different stages of growth … the cute-and-fuzzy to the long bodies, all feet that were “teenagers”.

• Sandra J says:

It doesn’t take them long to make their nest. That will be coming very soon. I finally went and bought some bird seed yesterday and set up my little table right outside the back window. I saw the Male Cardinal flying into the tree they always make a nest in. So I had to put some food out again. I saw mittens yesterday. So it is like the old gang has returned. So much fun to watch them.

I liked that photo of Mittens – he was a cutie pie for sure and you picked a perfect name for him. I love watching the cardinals too. Their nest is in my barberry bush and they’ve built there for years. Another pair build in a pyracantha bush – it has orange berries and big thorns, but I never go near it – it’s on the opposite side of the house. They are sharp thorns – I don’t know how they are not harmed, just like the barberry – I know I wear heavy gloves when trimming those bushes and still get scratched. Now I am concerned since I saw a Cooper’s Hawk when I came home from walking – perhaps he was just flying low between the houses, but it is a narrow area and Cooper’s Hawks fly low to check out potential prey and then up high, then descend when they figure the animal/bird thinks they have left the area. When I first saw these hawks at the Park I read up on them … I don’t count them as hawks for the bucket list, as they are around the Park and neighborhoods these days, at least the last two or three years, but I mostly get a fleeting glance of them. It used to be Peregrine Falcons and I saw nab a medium-sized bird in mid-air … I should say I heard it – I saw it pursuing the smaller bird and the bird was shrieking … I did not look up again and wish I had not seen that; the noise stopped – I assume he got the smaller bird. As to the Cooper’s Hawk, there were no squirrels begging when I got home – they usually come back for “seconds” and I’ll oblige them a few peanuts (I give them more when I leave on my walk) … I think the hawk may have been trolling that area and they went to their nests for safety. They always come to beg unless it is many hours later, like on a weekend. Going to get ready to go out – darkish still as it is misty and due to the time change. I wish they had kept the time as it was – you too as you like morning walks when all is quiet and serene.

• Sandra J says:

Yes, I don’t know why they have to change the times. I see hawks fly by now and then. It just doesn’t’ seem right that a bird should eat another bird. I have seen fragments of animals in the back yard now and then so I will assume it was a hawk or owl maybe dropping some of the food. I saw about a dozen hawks that were hit by cars along the highways as we traveled. They perch so close to the roads. It is probably the semi’s that hit them. Taller vehicles. But despite those there were still dozens of them everywhere on the roads.

I know they are pushing to get Daylight Saving Time eliminated but I think they’ve been trying for years – I hope they are successful one day. It was terrible hearing that bird screeching in fear of its life. I saw clumps of feathers and some tail feathers at the Park a month or so ago – it had been a mourning dove. We have had coyotes there so don’t know if it was a Cooper’s Hawk or a coyote. It was not a nice sight to see though. I know the predator birds are beautiful to see, but I don’t think they should eat their kin either … I do get they have to eat but the circle of life is sad sometimes.

• Sandra J says:

That would be nice if they would not mess with time. I don’t like it either. I walked down to the lagoon yesterday, it is a small city pond and they have an island out in the middle of it. Every year the guess and ducks use that small island for nesting and just sitting in the sun away from people. Yesterday I noticed there was a wire fence around it and they put two fake coyotes on the land and a bunch of small plastic windmills around the edge. I am guessing to keep the geese off. When I first got there the geese were all circling the island looking at it. But by the time I left quite a few geese were on the island anyway. I tried to look up why they are doing that. Could not find anything. I don’t get it, just let them have the island. You can’t stop the wildlife from using what they need. It was fun to watch them. They new the coyotes were fake.

That is interesting what they did to the geese and ducks – I have no words just like you Sandra. They have to make provisions for them – especially in a natural setting … let them live on that little island … people aren’t inhabiting it! It is like Mud Island – very small, uninhabited and people go to see the eagles in the Winter, but other than the eagles, no one pays attention to it as it is too small to build homes, etc., too many trees, so they let the wildlife live there. I understand deer swim over there and there are snakes … never have I seen deer from where I stand at the pavilion area on the riverfront, so maybe it is urban legend? They want to build and build and take away all these wildlife’s areas where they live. It was unthinkable that we would have coyotes in our City … it is not rural at all, and most people have cyclone fencing in their yard for pets and children or just because most houses in subdivisions are similarly built, etc. – now we have coyotes roaming the streets, big mean dogs sailing over four-foot high fences and pit bulls climbing fences. The neighborhood is a scary place … and then there is the crime. Sigh. The last two years, lots of coyote sightings and at one time a pair and their pup were living at Council Point Park. I saw one in the neighborhood before all the coyotes were showing up and I did a double take. People out driving at night past Council Point Park took photos of them around the bushes. I am glad the geese were savvy enough to figure it out … the laugh is not on the geese, but the humans who spent $$ on fake coyotes. People say “bird brain” … birds are smarter than we give them credit for. I had pet birds most of my life and they are more in tune with what’s going on than you might think.

• Sandra J says:

I know, I feel for the animals, like coyotes. Their habitats are shrinking, yet I don’t want to see people or kids get hurt by them. But I also feel for them. I don’t know what the answer is. Around here they are taking thousands of acres for sport pavilions for kids, I think that is to much. And then they build giant housing communities with houses that are so big, I don’t understand who would even want to live in such a place. Seems like such a waste of land. I know there are still millions of acres of forest and national parks where people can not touch it. I do like that. I am heading out to see if I can catch the sunrise this morning. It looks clear and no wind. I will catch up with you later. Have a good day.

I am heading out soon too Sandra, though our winds are quite blustery – that doesn’t matter to me, but gusts are 25-30 … maybe a Park walk won’t happen, just in the neighborhood I think as it is quite mild. I feel for the animals who have no say in things. They asked (in a survey by the City) if we wanted a waterpark or dog park in our City – I asked that they not do this to Council Point Park … the other pars are more suited for that but keep the nature aspect here … it already has a playscape/playground equipment and a soccer field, baseball diamonds and inline skating rink (not used at all … I’ve never seen anyone use it) … that detracts a little from the nature aspect … I hope they don’t do this as it will infringe on the nature aspect. Have a good walk and enjoyable day Sandra.

• Sandra J says:

Well, I made it back and my fingers froze out there, but the sunrise was beautiful. The wind was pretty crisp. I know what you mean about the sports parks and not seeing anyone on them. Even the playgrounds are so big and fancy and no kids there. I am just guessing, but it seems kids are more interested in looking at the internet then going outside to play. So all these fancy parks are empty. I see this with my own nieces and nephews. They don’t need anymore water parks. People can drive to the ones that are out there. That is like having 2 or 3 gas stations all on the same corner. It is always about money and convenience. My fingers are still cold, I keep hitting the wrong buttons. 🙂

It takes a long time for your fingers to unfreeze – on Valentine’s weekend, my fingers were so frozen and that’s why I never went back to Dingell Park to look at eagles – they likely were on the ice floes that day. Should have gone there first I guess. There is a limit to enjoyment if your fingers or toes are frozen. The Big Wave is a pool at Lake Erie Metropark – they charge $35.00/year for entry into the Park (if you order before the new year, otherwise $40.00) and it does NOT include admittance to the big wave pool ($8.00/adults and $6.00 for kids). I think more kids are playing with their devices too and not interested in the rest of that park’s nature finds.

• Sandra J says:

Yes, the temperature seemed like it would be warmer, but there was some wind there and I got chilled straight to the bone after awhile. But, I drove all the way there so I just did not want to leave to soon. It was so peaceful. It looks like some light snow coming today.

They said we might have light snow too, but they thought more so in Ohio. I just stayed in my park today and walked six miles and thought of you as I walked because you mentioned hearing all the geese flying overhead and I wanted to agree with your comment, because I always look up when they are overhead too. So there were many pair of geese flying today – no flocks, just pairs. I found that intereting. And a large Cooper’s Hawk was in the Park, surveying his kingdom. I had to hide the squirrels’ peanuts under a bush and ensure they saw me so they are not “sitting ducks” out there for the big hawk by eating them at the side of the walking path.

• Sandra J says:

I know the squirrels probably appreciated that, putting the peanuts closer for them. Here to there are more pairs of geese getting
        ready for their nesting sites. I found a video I took of the goslings last spring, I might put that on soon. I had forgotten about that one. I was sitting on a park bench and they were all right in front of me. Not afraid at all, they are so cute to watch.

I have never seen geese near a nest but the leaves on bushes have appeared by then so I guess it is secluded. One of the walkers found a swan nest last year, it was just a messy bundle of sticks in a marshy area of the Park … he pointed it out to me and the next day we looked and it was gone. We never went down near the water and looked at it as we did not want the swan to know we saw it … so that was too bad. I like those goslings too. Little darlings.

• Sandra J says:

Here down at the lagoon, their nest are pretty camouflage most of the time. There isn’t alot of cover for them down there, and earlier this year the city went by trimming lots of trees, and cut 3 perfectly good trees down along the bike path out front. The one tree was so beautiful when it snowed. It was the perfect pare shape. They cut it right off a couple months ago. I am not sure who makes these decisions. But they obviously have no clue as to how long a tree takes to grow.

Yesterday at Elizabeth Park they had continued doing the same thing – I saw it there the last time and took pictures, then decided people would wonder why I took pictures of stumps in the foresty-type area. But, yes – they took down more trees and it looked bad. They had cleared brush, well that’s okay, but it had not been bundled up or burned and it was all over the place. I don’t get it sometimes … it’s a beautiful park, but the flooding has started. Took some photos of water from the canal flooding the cement sidewalks. I had to go out into the neighborhood to connect again to park again and get to the vehicle bridge and get back to my car. It was bad last Spring for most of the big parks where I go. If we have torrential rain like last year, they have already said there will be massive flooding. That goes along with the rest of the 2020 events I guess.

• Sandra J says:

Yes, so I am getting my walks in now by the rivers, before the flooding begins again. I am heading down there this morning to see if the Pelicans have arrived. They were not here a few days ago yet.

It will be something to look forward to Sandra … we are lucky as we have nature to keep us steady in this big health crisis.

• Sandra J says:

So true Linda, being in nature is where I am most comfortable. The birds and the animals do not stress over things and watching them relaxes me. We went for a long drive yesterday just to get out of the city. Went to a couple places that I know of that are quiet, slew type areas off the Mississippi river. No people there, just peace and quiet and lots of birds. We were driving by an area that had a lot of water and I noticed lots of gulls in the distance. And then all of a sudden to Swans came around the corner. We found a place to park and got the cameras out. They were pretty far away, but they sure looked like Trumpeter Swans. That was very exciting for me.

Oh that would be exciting to see the swans – maybe migrating? I was pretty excited to see the group of Mute Swans last weekend – I think I mentioned I was speaking to the photographer and then turned back toward them and they had paddled to the pavilion in just about 15 minutes – they were near one of the little islands down there. I like how swans have a calming effect when you see a group of waterfowl – they are calm and collect where the geese could be hissing and flapping their wings.

• Sandra J says:

I know, there was just the two of them. I could tell they must be just huge amazing birds even from that far away. They kept swimming farther away, so we eventually left. But it was a treat for sure.

I saw one come in for a landing one time – very large swan but very graceful, and not honking and snorting like a goose does. 🙂

4. Eliza says:

They definitely tell a story!!

5. Prior... says:

The photos flowed so well! Ha –

I like the one of them facing off, and then best buds! Priceless!

Glad you liked them Joni – the gander had an attitude from the get-go and no one was paying attention to him/attitude, so he just kept honking and hissing louder. Then why not pick on a fellow goose?? I had some pics of him stabbing it with his beak too and the other goose just looked at him like “what is your problem?” Five minutes later, best buds.

Miss linda…………………………..so do you think that Mr.Meany stopped over to your park area???

I think so Ann Marie – if it is not Mr. Meany, it sure is Mr. Meany’s kin!! I know you’ve not been walking, so you have not seen if Mr. Meany has returned and begun his Spring antics yet. I think this was an older goose from the white forehead feathers. I looked online at other Canada Geese heads, and compared his forehead to others at the River – wonder if he is King Goose at the River by virtue of his elder status?

Nice captures! There is no hiding the goose’s displeasure!

Thanks Rebecca – it was fun watching his antics and this goose had an attitude when he was still at the shoreline, stomping around and hissing and the more that no one paid attention to him, the bigger the attitude he got. He was honking and hissing and the picture of him hissing toward the sky – very loud and drowning out the rest of the geese and waterfowl as they made their own noises while paddling around the cove area. The other goose took it for so long, then just hissed back, giving him a taste of his own medicine. 🙂

9. They have a huge tongue!!! I have seen a lot of geese before but never their tongue….lol

They do have a huge tongue Diane – they also will flap their wings to scare you off. You no doubt saw them get riled up at the park where you took your clients – if they saw humans, especially if walkers don’t yield to them or they have their goslings, then they get really mean. I always just go around them, when they are congregating on the path.

You know Mike that I wrote about a few weeks ago – he liked nature but did not yield to geese and would walk right through a throng of them rather defiantly. He said “I’m not going to get my feet wet or poop on them to cater to the geese.” I always give them wide berth because their wings are powerful and can knock you down. A few years ago, a couple of golfers on the golf course, happened to come close to a goose nest. I don’t recall if there were eggs in the nest, or newly hatched goslings, but the gander went ballistic and flew up, then descended on the golfer and knocked him down and kind of stomped on him. The golfer was more embarrassed than hurt and the other golfer whipped out his camera and took a video which circulated around the local news stations. The golfer said he was doing nothing, and was not mindful of any nest nearby. I don’t necessarily trust geese – once I had a bag of old bread and I took it to feed them … they were happy, but then other geese wanted what they were enjoying and flew over and also flew down to get some … too bad the bread was gone and I waved the empty bag to show them … nope, they didn’t like that at all and came after me for more. I had to run into a small crowd of women walkers and merge with them to lose the geese. That was the last time I took bread for the geese. Bread isn’t good for them anyway – back then i didn’t know, but now I know it causes them to have “angel wing” or deformed flight feathers.

10. clarejk2014 says:

Looks like someone was in a bad mood that day! Still it was nice they seem to have become friends again after their quarrel! 🙂

Clare – it reminded me of a couple of little kids. The one was just a bully and the other one was just dealing with it for so long, then responded in kind. Two minutes later, they were buddies again. Kids in the bird world!

11. Maybe even geese practice social distancing. I think I’d be happy staying well away from that grumpy goose… yikes!

It looks like they practice social distancing doesn’t it? The one goose took the hissing for so long, then decided to hiss back. When the geese are on land, sometimes near the walking path, sometimes for no reason, they start hissing and flapping their wings … they do it a lot when they have the goslings beside them. A lot of drama with the Canada Geese!

12. Oh my! When I lived in Virginia, I used to see/hear the Canada Geese as they were migrating south for the winter. They would always stop at a nearby lake and stay for quite awhile. The people in the houses around the lake were not too happy about that, because the geese were honking loud and had no problem voicing their opinions! And all the goose poop looked like half smoked cigars littered on the ground. 🙂 If a person or animal got to close to them, the geese would hiss, snap, and chase them away. Back in 2013, I took a few photos of the geese and wrote a short poem. (Unfortunately, I didn’t get any photos of them with their ‘mouths’ open). https://storieswithnobooks.com/2013/01/07/honking-attitude/

Mary – I enjoyed that post and this comment – you are spot on with the goose poop! Once the goslings arrive you must do a lot of high-steppin’. The people who live near the water and have sprawling properties hate the geese and in fact, the park where I walk most days sprays a grape-based product on the grass after the goslings are old enough and the geese will leave until Fall when they don’t apply the product anymore. I read a few of your posts. Your blog reminds me a little of mine – a fun look at nature around us – I think we even have the same 2010 blog theme. I need to have more smiles, so I’ve followed you, even though I told myself I can’t keep up as it is. The life of a blogger!

• Thanks for following me, and don’t worry about having a hard time keeping up with my blog—I don’t write that much. 🙂
        And yes! We do have the same 2010 blog. The template is simple, straight forward, easy to read, and I like it it–so I have never changed. I’m comfortable with old ‘familiar’ things.

That’s good you don’t write that much … for me anyway. 🙂 I am a little more behind than usual this week. I have not even posted much and try to do just two posts per week. I’ve been doing a Wordless Wednesday as I had a lot of photos. We had a mild Winter here in SE Michigan so I got to my favorite park more often. I’m going to stop taking photos for a while as I don’t want my hands up around my face … maybe I can take them at the house or neighborhood, but not at the Park.

I thought the template looked the same – I’ve not changed anything either as I hate change and like “familiar” things too. I hope they never get rid of it. At work I am still on Windows 7 and we are going to Windows 10 soon and since I work from home my boss ordered a Windows 10 laptop for me – I have not used it except to do updates, but don’t like how the blog looks there- the home page seems more compact on Windows 7 platform but it may be a compatibility issue and need to adjust the screen.