How does your garden grow?

I have already written two posts (on July 17th and 20th) in conjunction with this particular morning spent getting in my steps and checking out the usual haunts at lovely Heritage Park.

I have stopped to check out the Community Gardens at Heritage Park twice this year. The first was when I participated in the 5K walk back on May 9th. Due to the pandemic, the gates were locked and signs advised that a directive was forthcoming when gardening would begin again.

The Community Gardens are located on the Heritage Park grounds, halfway between the historical village and the Conservatory and Botanical Gardens. The Community Gardens consist of personal plots of land where folks can garden ’til their heart’s content for an annual fee. Also found in this area is the Good Will Garden.

The purpose of the Good Will Garden is two-fold. In 2002, through a program developed by Judge Geno Salomone of the 23rd District Court in Taylor, Michigan, community service workers have tended large garden plots and all produce is donated to the Downriver Fish & Loaves Community Pantry. Planting begins in May and the last harvest is in October. The community service workers maintain the gardens throughout the growing season. It is a win-win venture to give back to the local community.

The Community Gardens got off to a slow start

I am sure many wondered if and when plants and/or seeds could be planted – what would happen to everyone’s crops in 2020? Well, when I bopped by to check out the personal plots and community service plots over Fourth of July weekend, was I in for a surprise! After the lifting of various restrictions imposed by the Governor during the pandemic, the growing season had begun in earnest. Between bouts of torrential rain, the sunniest June on record and a horribly hot start to July, the veggie gardens were already producing. Here have a look.

These are the work force detail gardens.

These are the personal plot gardens.

I love the ambiance here – for example, this quaint wooden chair with the flowers planted where the seat would be and a cheery-looking birdbath.

There are garden doodads and other homey touches in most of the personal gardens, an extension of the owners’ personalities it seems. The nature lovers often put out bird feeders, houses and baths to cater to their feathered friends. Others have brought along Adirondack chairs to take a load off their feet. You may recall last year I chatted it up with Mike who was watering a double plot on an equally hot and humid Sunday morning. You can read about my visit with Mike and see some of the garden photos if you click here. Mike told me one of their plots was dedicated to flowers and tended to by his wife. Mike was in charge of the veggie plot. He enlightened me on the whole process, as I had no clue that regular folks could own these plots. I thought the produce was grown strictly for donation to the food pantry. Mike explained that 20-by-17-foot plots cost $50.00 apiece to lease from May through October each year.

As I walked along the fence, I decided the gardeners must have slept in, likely the result of neighborhood fireworks going off in and around the Downriver area until all hours of the night. I was the only one walking around the garden area and boy were the mosquitoes making a meal of me due to the heat and humidity. I wondered if the gardeners here don’t mind tending to their gardens in the heat of the day?

Of course a few lucky gardeners have raised beds for their gardens, so no stooping or bending is required to tend to their crops or flowers. This is the way to go and easy on the knees too!

I did concede, as I ambled along, that someone had been by to water the raised gardens before I arrived, as all the greens had a fresh and dewy look. Here’s a close-up of those raised gardens nearest the fence – it’s like stepping up to the salad bar.

Was the corn knee-high by the Fourth of July as that expression goes? From my vantage point, I eyeballed those rows of corn, while trying to figure the height on the morning of the 5th of July. What do you think? I know fellow blogger and Michigander Ruth, or Diane with her huge garden in Ohio will know the answer.

It’s not all about the veggies – one plot had nearly ripe berries peeking over the fence.

And this one lone Coneflower had grown mightily in the few short weeks since the garden had commenced. Perhaps this gardener has a perpetual plot filled with perennials?

There are farm implements that were used long ago and now serve to enhance the garden area. I’m pretty sure these gardens will never need the likes of large implements like these. The bales of straw are spread over the soil by the community workers to keep the soil moist between waterings.

I wrapped up my long morning by heading back to the parking lot and sitting in the air-conditioned car a good ten minutes before taking off – whew! I’m no fan of the intense heat and humidity, but it is sure to help your garden to grow. I’ll leave you with this quote: “Garden as though you will live forever.” ~ Thomas Moore

This entry was posted in nature, walk, walking and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to How does your garden grow?

1. Eliza says:

That flower is so pretty in its lonesomeness. And awesome that it grows there.

With all the heat I am surprised it did not wither away Ellie. Yes, very few flowers in that area, so it was an oddity – I even though it was a flower that might become a vegetable eventually, but not sure.

Wonderful gardens, I love the old farm implements. We have an old small plow surrounded by flowers also. I love the touch of history with those. The best looking plant in my garden is the Milk weeds. They are done flowering now.

I’ve been watching the Milkweed at the Park – it hasn’t bloomed yet – I think you’re ahead of us weatherwise, even with the wildflowers. You had photos of them before I saw a single one.

• Sandra J says:

That is good then, the milk weed by you hasn’t bloomed, that means you might get to see more monarchs. Look forward to those photos if you get any.

I think I’ll make a regular trip over to Memorial Park once a week to see if I see them Sandra. I could not find the plants though. That is the strangest thing. When I read in the online newspaper they were planting Milkweed and other perennials, I went over to see where they planted it as I figured I would see the fresh plants or new dirt, etc. and know where to look … I have found yellow Daisies, Coneflowers, Irises and that Lantana but no Milkweed. But it does grow at Council Point Park so will have to just keep watching it to get more Monarch or Swallowtail pics,

• Sandra J says:

It took 2 years for mine to have flowers on them also. I just picked a pod in the fall when they were about to open. They were out in the country side. I planted the seeds and they grew. I did not think they would. I found out this type spreads out from the root. So every year I have another plant that starts right next to the first one.

I see – my friend in New York sent me some seeds but they did not grow. But she had them growing around her mailbox in abundance so figured they’d do well here.

• Sandra J says:

I took some up to the cabin, and they did not grow there either.

I never ever got a sprout out of them for some reason.

I love that some people use their space for flowers. It’s hard to tell how high the corn is from a picture and of course it depends on whose knees you are measuring against but the corn looks like it is doing well.
    The plant behind the yellow beans sign actually looks a lot like basil.
    Also it is straw not hay that is commonly used as mulch in the gardens. Many people confuse the two. Hay is dries grasses and legumes. It is commonly used for animal feed and because it contains a lot of seeds is not good to use in the garden. Straw is dried stalks from grains such as wheat or oats. Since the seeds have been removed it is low in nutrition so not used for feed but good for animal bedding and used in the garden.
    Thanks for the lovely pictures.

I couldn’t tell either Ruth. In fact it looked kind of skinny to me, but I’ve never grown corn. Yes, it would depend on the knees … I never thought of that in conjunction with that expression. 🙂

I knew you could identify these veggies – we grew tomatoes one year, the first year we were here, and the squirrels and jays got all of them. Teeth and beak marks in all of them, so that was the first and last time for growing tomatoes!

You know, I should have known better and I’ll go and correct the post now. Hay is for animal feed and I’ve seen that in pictures of barns.

A fellow blogger, Diane (in Diane’s Kitchen) writes a daily post about cooking. Last week she featured her raised bed gardens that she and her husband tend to in their backyard.

She mentioned the straw in the garden between rows, so I should have remembered. She mentioned there being sprouts growing in the straw and I said my neighbor had bales of straw at harvest time and we had a warm Fall and it had green sprouts all over the place sprouting in the straw, which she later used in a creche. Glad you enjoyed the pictures Ruth – I’ll be going back in August for pics of all the gardens.

• ruthsoaper says:

The corn does look skinny but that could be due to the variety of corn it is or it could benefit from some nitrogen fertilizer.

One of the most confusing things about hay and straw is when we talk about a hay ride. Straw is actually what is used for hay rides. We do find that straw often has some of the seed still attached and when used as mulch will often sprout up. It is easier to pull however that clover or other weeds that may come from hay and as Diane mentioned if it is aged or rotted some it is less of a problem.
        We’ve never had a problem with squirrels or birds eating tomatoes – probably because they have so many other things to eat. LOL!

I did go back and correct my post – thank you for bringing my attention to it Ruth and I had first called it straw, then called it hay and didn’t notice. Guess I was thinking of the expression “make hay while the sun shines.” Not only did all the tomatoes get trashed by the squirrels and birds, but the tulip bulbs my father planted the first Fall we lived here were all dug up and thrown around the yard – he found them in Spring yard clean-up. After that and the tomato debacle, my parents decided no more tulips or tomatoes.

4. Looks like everything is growing nicely!

Love the quote. I like the idea of a community garden, but am wary of how weary I’d be tending one. Your photos show a lovely space, though.

Yes, it would probably wear on you after a while, especially in all this extreme heat we’ve had throughout July. It’s much easier to just go out in your backyard and work there, rather than driving to do your garden chores. I like the quote too Ally. I had heard it before, so had to Google to find it.

What a fun way to give back to the community! The gardens look like they’re flourishing. I, too, enjoy seeing the personal touches that some gardeners include which give character to their area.

7. I enjoyed seeing the garden plots and plants

Thanks for sharing those garden photos, Linda. I don’t keep a vegetable garden anymore. I got tired of battling the groundhogs who were eating all my plants off right at ground level. All 3 of my boys have gardens. My Colorado son told me that many of his plants were killed by a July frost. Ugh!

It all looks good, especially the salad bar! I lost most of my lettuce this year due to a nest of baby bunnies….it was bitter anyway, but the thought of them nibbling on it made me pull it all out!

The first year we were here my father planted tomatoes in the backyard – my mother was anticipating lots of tomatoes and the squirrels and birds got into them … they would take one bite or peck them and toss them aside and they’d rot in the sun. That was the end of a veggie garden. I remember you harvested lots of lettuce when I first followed your blog – it must be two years now.

• Joni says:

I did – and I loved it, it was so fresh. But I never got around to going to the nurseries this spring due to Covid so I just bought a few pots at the grocery store – the bitter one I don’t even know what kind it was as it had no tag. I did have one that was a mixed salad type, and one Bibb plants, so I ate two salads from it. I do have one tomatoe plant, beefsteak, which has big ones on it, but last year they looked like they were full of wormholes. I just plant that one for mom, as I don’t really care for tomatoes. I intend to gmail you, either tonight or tomorrow, as I am saying home – as I wanted to reply to some of what you had written earlier.

I have a high school pal who lives in North Carolina. She planted dozens of cherry tomato plants and the squirrels and birds plucked them off and threw them on the ground. So she read somewhere to paint Tabasco sauce on them, so can you imagine how painstaking that was? She did that and if it rained or they got wet from the sprinkler, they had to be redone. She finally left them there for the squirrels and birds and bought them at the store – that put an end to the garden. Really, it is not necessary as most of what I said was FYI stuff.

Miss Linda……………………………………I enjoyed your blog about Heritage park this evening…………………………………I learn a lot through you……………………..your close up pictures of those berries made me want to eat some……………………………so many people pass up Heritage Park because they’re in a hurry to go to work and then in a hurry to run errands………………..and then in a hurry to get home to just relax…………………..lets not complain about our hot weather…………………………………………I heard its like this all the time in Florida……………………..

Hi Ann Marie – It is funny you say that about Heritage Park, because the very first time I went there was just about three years ago – in fact, I just searched as I remembered the title of the post and it was August 26, 2017.
      I did just as you said – I went by there every time I went to Southland Mall as I drove up Northline and turned left on Pardee Road – and, if I went up Northline to Telegraph, I’d pass the petting farm and the Botanical Gardens. I always said “one day I have to go there” but never did. Until 2017 anyway. I am glad I went as it is always a joy to visit there. I am always happy to share tidbits of info … the part about the eclipse phase for the Mallards I learned from one of the interpretive cruises at Lake Erie Metropark – I know you took a few of them as well. That cruise was in early August. You know how I feel about the Winter – I’m no fan of snow or ice, I don’t mind the cold, but I don’t like driving in the bad weather. At least, we can go out daily now with no snow or ice issues … we will be at Winter quickly enough I’m sorry to say. Just five more months … too soon Ann Marie.

11. Amorina Rose says:

so envious. I have a little garden on my very small balcony but the tropical heat isn’t always kind. Love your pictures.

Yes, that tropical heat not only zaps humans’ energy, but flowers too – we have had a very hot and humid Summer here and feeling more like a tropical climate than Michigan. Thank you for stopping by again Amorina Rose.

12. The vegetables growing in the personal plots look so fresh and healthy!! I like how people show their personality through the decorations. This reminds me that my dad used to be part of a community garden. I was young and not interested. lol.
    Now I have more appreciation for all things nature, as you know from my blog.
    I hope you have a nice weekend!

Yes, especially those raised beds with the lettuce – it was so dewy and fresh looking.
      I like how people add doo dads and garden art to their spacetoo. I love garden art. Every Summer I go to a butterfly garden walk in a homeowner’s backyard. She asks for a small donation for local pet shelters to gain admittance. Her donation item may be dog or cat food, paper towels, paper plates … even toys. I don’t think she is doing it this year due to COVID-19 which is a shame – it is endless flowers in her backyard.

• I love that lady’s idea of collecting donation money or resources for the pet shelter! It empowers those involved. This COVID has wreaked havoc on plans this year. Hoping it makes a turn for the good soon.
        A San Jose guy plants thousands of tulips in his backyard for people to visit. I’m sure he was bummed out that the quarantine started just when he opens up his backyard for the public. I wrote a post about him…He’s known as the Bulb Guy and he drives the funniest green car.
        I like the word you used: “dewy” to describe the lettuce bed.

The butterfly garden is an annual event and in 2019 she decided to have two events, one dedicated to Monarchs only as they pass through enroute to their Mexico destination. It is a a very good idea. I have written about it twice. The first time she had a shih tzu who had been abused and it was there as a special guest, with its legs bandaged up as she recovered from her horrible ordeal. She was being fostered at the time of the event.

I think someone had watered the lettuce, maybe while I was at the Conservatory – it looked so fresh, like when the misters come on and spritz the produce at the grocery store .

• Interesting events! I hope to see Monarchs this winter in Santa Cruz. Kid’s science teacher told us that monarchs hang around there because of all the milkweed. We will go crazy seeing them!
        I’m sure the shih tuh got a lot of love and attention that day! I don’t understand how people can abuse animals…if you don’t like them, give them away or so something more responsible than abuse them.

I’ve seen photos on the internet of Monarchs arriving in Mexico and all congregating at one tree and so many Monarchs, you could not see the tree trunk, but the caption identified that there was a tree behind them. Very beautiful. I don’t understand people either … just no respect for living things.

• It’ll be a sight to see the Monarchs. Unbelievable that they migrate to certain areas for the winter.
        I’m learning all these things too with my kids. I’m surprised at how little I inquired about these things before kids. As I mentioned earlier, we’re planning on going to a beach in NorCal where they feed on the Milkweed trees.
        Ditto your last sentiment. There’s so much potential for goodness. Lots of anger, feelings of powerlessness, fear; these kinds of emotions turn into ugly behavior.

Hi Esther – I got a little behind here and left some posts unread and went back to find them and they were gone … it said “The End” … I was a little mortified – so I just went through the Comments section and found two separate comments and will go later to your site, last few posts. That doesn’t usually happen. We are having intense rain which will morph into a storm shortly … crazy weather. Then I’ll be back later. There is so much that is fascinating about Nature and it helps me focus on good stuff in the world, not the bad stuff of which there is too much.

I am on Twitter and follow some weather sites and the photographer who likes birds and goes to one of the Metroparks daily to feed them from her palm. This is Jocelyn’s site: https://twitter.com/JocAPhotography
        I also enjoy “The Dodo”: https://twitter.com/dodo
        Also this nature site which has feel-good stories: https://twitter.com/AnimalsWorId
        Your kids could view these videos too – some are heartwarming stories and I always learn new things.

• Hey Linda, isn’t it easy to get behind on all the WP stuff?! When I scroll through my feed, I want to read all the posts and leave comments. But it just gets to be too much.
        Whenever you write back is fine! I know you have lots to do.
        I’ve seem some Dodo stuff before. The others are new to me; will check them out.
        And the Michigan weather…how is it so fickle?! Hope you were in the comfort of your home when it rained that much. Nothing like being out in the middle of heavy rain. When I first moved to NYC, I had no idea that rain would just come and go. So when it started to rain, I’d get drenched trying to get home via public transportation rather than waiting it out in a shop or something. I soon learned but the rain would pour sideways.

Well, I don’t know where they disappeared to … I guess WP only keeps them in the notifications queue a few days (even in the “All” category). I had tried to get to bed early on Friday night as I wanted to get to those two parks and one was brand new for me … then the weather alarm made me re-think that idea. Yes, one night away from Reader and it seems impossible to catch up sometimes. Plus, I did four posts in five days which was not smart on my part, but I usually give a walking miles total and was way behind. I went through my photos over the weekend – I have a lot of photos and I like the “Wordless Wednesday” feature so will keep doing it – I am sure some of the photos are evergreen so I can use them in Winter, so will put them aside.

A fellow blogger was living in Qatar – I think she/husband moved there around 2010. He is a gastroenterologist. She had a medical degree but wanted to further the degree and was recommended to take advanced courses abroad in the U.S. She applied and was accepted to Harvard and arrived there in September 2019. I had told her to buy some Winter-type clothing/footwear as she had never experienced Winter and New England was snowy, cold, etc. She was excited to start school, visit the U.S. and also anticipated Winter. On my advice, she bought some Winter items and also bought a space heater when she got her dorm room. They had snow only one time there and she went back to Qatar at Thanksgiving/Christmas break and then returned to school in mid-January. They had semester break and she went back to Qatar in early March and the school closed down and she went home and finished school online. They packed up her personal items and mailed them. The COVID-19 virus is rampant there and she/husband returned to India where they are originally from. It was a little funny that she anticipated seeing snow and walking in it and it turned out to be raining many of the days that she was living there and/or taking the shuttle bus from school to the dorm.

• Your blogger friend got prepared for the cold winter in the east coast. I’m sure your suggestions were helpful. My main concern was the shoes.
        What a roller coaster experience for her. Ahhhh, it would’ve been such a great experience to finish her studies with full immersion in the dorm and classes. I feel bad for students who missed out and are about to miss out on the campus living experience. She only got one snow experience and all rain?! I hope she finished her program well and learned a lot from her studies. So interesting!
        Linda, you make lots of blogging friends online! That’s what makes you personable, but it’s probably time consuming for you to keep up with everyone. Hope you know I appreciate it!!

Yes, I felt badly for this blogging friend. She was excited to be a foreign exchange student and be immersed here in the U.S. for this one year of school. She asked if I would go to Massachusetts to visit her? I have always wanted to go to the East Coast in the Fall to see the Fall colors, but I did not go. But one of the other bloggers and her husband are retired and have family in New York (they now live in North Carolina) so they went to visit her and they each did a blog post about the experience. Thank you for the compliment Esther – I am chatty so it is difficult keeping up; I’ll agree with you about that. I appreciate knowing you too Esther – we always have something to chat about!

• Yes, what bad timing to be an exchange student. But this is not normal times. We will each have interesting stories to share!
        That is nice she wanted you to visit her. It could’ve been really nice to meet and to experience the East Coast fall foliage. How nice that your other blogging friends went to visit her though. The blog posts they each did sounds wonderful and heartwarming that blogging is not impersonal but you’re building friendships.
        We are a chatty bunch aren’t we?!

Yes we are a chatty bunch aren’t we? 🙂
        They got together at the end of the day after Susie’s classes, they had dinner and spent the evening together. Anne, the blogger, has met two other bloggers since I started following her two years ago. This was really special as she may not be returning the U.S. again. Her and her husband have now returned to India. This meeting was just about three weeks before our world changed forever with COVID-19 – this was Anne’s post: https://amehrling.com/2020/02/23/bloggers-delightful-day-installment-two/
        This was Susie’s post:

• That’s a wonderful and heartwarming story! I will check out their posts. Thanks for sharing these stories and links to other bloggers.
        When I first started blogging, I wasn’t aware it was a community. But you realize there are people and their stories on the other side of the computer. I used to follow this blog Moneysavingmom.com and in one post she wrote about the time she met other bloggers at a conference. That was before I considered blogging. But Crystal Paine’s homeschooling her 3 kids, that blogger, normalized that experience for me before I even considered it. You should check out here website. Her business has grown considerably over the years and she gives back to the community!
        Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy the first weekend of this month! HUgs…

I was not aware it was a community either Esther and when I was in the Patch.com group where we had a Facebook group for all us bloggers, I enjoyed that – then four years after beginning the blog, a blogger followed me from within WP and things took off after that.

13. Thank you for venturing out in the heat and for fighting off of mosquitos while you’re at it. Our deer flies and gnats are just as ferocious as the mosquitos. The gardens look very healthy. Makes me wonder if our local garden like that is growing that well too? We haven’t been to the park since the shutdown. I hope this fall you’ll capture harvest time at the gardens to share with us.

14. Such a wonderful way to spend $50.00 Linda. I wish our raised beds were that high. Great post!

15. Pam Lazos says:

I wish I had enough sun to plant my own garden, Linda, but alas, it was not meant to be.

I have the sun Pam, but the critters are a deterrent. Many years ago, the squirrels and birds took every tomato and bit and pecked them respectively. The squirrels got the tulip bulbs – dug them up and we found them in the Spring during yard clean up. The bunnies ate the Bleeding Heart plants. So the critters are quite the mischief makers.

16. I love community gardens. We are lucky to have room for a garden in our yard but not everyone has that luxury. I love the chair and “side table” bird bath… so clever.

I like that chair too Janis – I wonder if they made it themselves. Very charming and homey. I think the community gardens are a good idea. Lots of people live in apartments or don’t have the space for a garden, so they can sift the dirt through their hands and enjoy themselves while being productive.

17. Michael says:

How wonderful… what a great place to spend time

Yes, so beautiful Michael and on Wednesday evenings they have live music at the Conservatory which is a big draw. I hope to get back a few more times as not everything had bloomed yet.