Miles for Meals; 2021 Happy Soles 5K.

I’m a tad behind writing about the Fish & Loaves Virtual 5K which I completed on May 29th. This is the fourth 5K I’ve done for this local food pantry; the prior 5K posts can be found here here and here.

The 2020 event was virtual as well, but this year, it took a radical twist.

First, all participants were issued a challenge to collectively surpass (in miles) the number of households that Fish & Loaves served in 2020, i.e. 12,118 families, so 12,118 miles (19,502 km).

Second, our personal 5K event could take place any date of our choosing, from May 1st through June 13th, BUT this was not just a one-day event, as participants were encouraged to count their miles throughout the entire six-week period. Also, we were not restricted to just running or walking, but bicycling, swimming, rowing, even walking around the house were additional alternative ways to garner miles throughout the six-week challenge period.

Third, there was an added incentive for all participants to submit a tagline to be used for event swag/tee-shirts. The winning entry also would have their registration fee waived for the 2022 Happy Soles 5K event.

So, how did I fare?

I did those challenges. I entered my tagline “Feed the hungry and feel the burn!” when I registered back in January. The winning entry was “Miles for Meals”. I did walk the 5K (3.2 miles) on May 29th and my total accumulated walking miles for the six-week period totaled 184.2 miles (296 km).

The final tally for the 99 participants unfortunately fell short of the hoped-for goal (12,118 miles); the last tally on June 13th yielded 7,888.8 miles (12,695.7 km). I met the event organizer, Ellen Pfafflin, when I went to the food pantry to pick up my swag on June 13th. Ellen and fellow race coordinator Deb are hopeful for an in-person event for 2022.

This picture-laden post will be fairly long as I’m also doing a recap of my personal 5K event.

My 5K on May 29th.

I returned to historical Heritage Park to complete my 5K, as that was the site I chose for the 2020 virtual 5K and it is also the same venue for the organization’s annual on-site events.

The weather conditions were kind of weird for the first day of the Memorial Day holiday, i.e. it was 44F (6C) with 18 mph (30 kph) winds, sometimes gusting to 23 mph (37 kph). Brr! My fingers were cold and belatedly I realized I should have worn gloves. Unbelievably the day before, the official high temp was only 50F (10C) and broke the previous May 28th record for lowest high temp set in 1930. Yikes! And, just a few days before that, I had the A/C on and it was so humid, I left on my a.m. walks in a sleeveless shirt!

Heritage Park was the second of three Park stops I made that day. I’d already bopped down to the Riverfront in search of Mute Swan cygnets with no luck. Heritage Park’s picturesque, man-made Coan Lake does not have swans, but it has plenty of Canada geese, Mallards, Ring-billed Gulls and occasionally you’ll see a Cormorant or a Great Blue Heron dropping by.

I was hopeful to see some ducklings and luckily I found three sets of Mamas with their ducklings in tow. There was one problem though – the gusty winds and grassy slope near the seawall did not bode well for sure footing. I didn’t feel like ending up in the drink due to a sudden gust of wind. The camera’s shutter clicks spooked two Mallard families and both Mamas took off in a heartbeat, eager to evade the tall “menacing” stranger.

In addition to my duckling quest, I wandered around the historical village looking for photos to memorialize this 5K event. I’m sure you’ll recognize some of these buildings from prior posts, but for newer followers of this blog, I’ll include a few of them.

The sideways spray and wayward droplets from the Coan Lake fountains give you an indication of the wind velocity.

At the gazebo, everything was in order for an event and my second time around the historical village, I saw a pair of photographers were setting up for a wedding. Woe was them as the incessant gusts of wind kept knocking over the chairs and unraveling the décor, even threatening to topple some of their camera equipment which already was wobbling on unsteady tripod legs.

Near the gazebo I met two friendly walkers, Nanette and Nancy and, like with most fellow walkers, the subject of the weather was an immediate topic, rather than a more-traditional greeting of “good morning” as you might guess. The ladies huddled under their hoodies, hands thrust into their pockets, while I bemoaned not having toted a pair of gloves.

I passed the cute Little Red Schoolhouse …

… then stopped at the old log cabin, a fully restored structure which dates back to the 1850s and is still used for civic functions and school class groups.

The historical village’s Town Hall flag was flapping briskly in the wind. The flag was at half-mast in remembrance of the nine victims of the mass killing on May 26th in San Jose, California.

I meandered along and stopped by the water-powered mill.

Tucked away behind the seawall, near an iron fence by the path to the entrance and also paddling around in Coan Lake is where I discovered ducklings galore!

Shh! A dozing Mama Mallard with her equally sleepy ducklings did not see me looming large nearby.

I stood behind the fence to avoid startling her as I knew she and her offspring would awaken, then instantly plop into the water. She had eyes at the back of her head (like my mom) and was instantly alert and watching over all her babies.

Just a few feet over, three ducklings played in the water, all the time emitting squeaky quacks of joy as they practiced climbing up on the rocks, then plunging back into the water. I watched the “Three Musketeers” with their bravado, but they soon tired and one by one toddled off to be with Mama and their siblings.

Suffice it to say I was in my glory – you will see more of these darling ducklings in my next Wordless Wednesday post which I’ll entitle “Mallard Munchkins”.

I didn’t stop at the Botanical Gardens as they had a “Plantapalooza” event with volunteers planting flowers and also selling plants.

It was a breezy, but blissful walk and before the car pulled into my driveway, I made a pit stop at Council Point Park to walk a quick, one-mile loop and feed my furry and feathered pals, which added more steps and gave me over six miles to add to my total. Thank you if you hung in to the end of this very long post, but I wanted to touch on not only the highlights, but some background on the 5K as well.

This entry was posted in 5K events, nature, walk, walking and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Miles for Meals; 2021 Happy Soles 5K.

First, I love the ducklings, I did not get to see any this year. They are always so adorable and I love this park. So many things to see. Good job on all the walking you do, the nice parks really help as well to enjoy a days walk.

They sure are sweet Sandra. I went back to Heritage Park a few weeks later and saw some ducklings that were older, maybe even these as there were many of them sleeping on the grass in a big pile. 🙂 It was a gray morning and they had lost their little butterball look of fuzzy yellow and brown and really looked like their Mama. Thank you – I’m pushing myself on the good weather days and I hope I can meet my goal with all this ugly weather we are having. I do understand next Monday it is supposed to improve – by then it will be three weeks of rain/heat/humidity, with maybe three nice “normal” days.

This is a quacking-ly good post. So many little cute ducks. I never thought of wind gusts being a problem at an outdoor wedding, but obviously it can happen. Getting married in a gazebo would be charming, wouldn’t it?

Those ducks made my day Ally. I came home with way too many pictures of them. I saw the gazebo when I first got there and took the first photo and by the time I passed it a second time, the folding chairs propped up on one side were falling over, ribbon streamers were blowing about and four of those chairs with the material covering had tipped over. The photographers’ tall tripods were swaying. I think it would be charming to get married here with the historical buildings and covered bridge in the background. Lots of prom and homecoming photos are taken with the couples posing in the gazebo. There is a historical church in the historical village area. They had weddings there but it was being renovated and during that renovation, a spark caused a massive fire last year. There was significant water and fire damage and it is painstakingly being repaired. I’ve not included it in my photos as it is all boarded up right now.

3. Congratulations on your Happy Soles 5K!!! Well done, in spite of the windy and chilly weather conditions. I LOVE the pictures of the old log cabin and the super-adorable and ducklings. You got some fantastic pictures of the little ones. Looking forward to seeing more mallard munchkins on Wednesday. (My husband used to call our kids his munchkins…) I wonder if that wedding was held outside after all or if they gave up and took it inside.

Thanks Barbara – it is a worthy cause, that is for sure. It was not a nice day in the least and it is all out in the open which made it worse. That log cabin really is unique – I have looked inside it and they do host events inside the log cabin and also in the Little Red Schoolhouse. Glad you liked the ducklings who were so sweet and you know I came home with a ton of photos to go through. The Wednesday photos will be more close-ups. Munchkins is such a cute word isn’t it? They would have had to hold the wedding right at the gazebo as the Sheridan Pavilion area is covered, but you have to reserve it and that’s just for large groups. They have an historical church in the village, but it was being renovated last year and a spark caught fire and it is being restored from the massive water and fire damage – it is an extensive project.

4. Now I want to be a duckling again…or a child. Carefree, fun days. Hopefully this will be in person next year!

I know what you mean Kate – they were having a great time playing and paddling around in the water and me too just watching them. I hope it is in person next year. The route goes through a neighborhood, then to the other side of the park where there is a oval track, then through a wooded area, ending up in the historical village to make up the 3.2 miles distance.

Congratulations on another successful (virtual) 5K. I hope you can do an in-person event next year. Thanks for taking us along with you. It’s hard to imagine a day where you would be pining for gloves in the recent past. I almost melted during my run this morning. I need to get going earlier, but I am still on Oregon time. It’s tough to get up early these days!

Thank you Laurie … I hope I can do an in-person event next year too. That day was so chilly and windy and the week leading up to Memorial Day was very hot and humid, so of course people wanted to use their pools or head up North and it was really too cold to be in the water. Yes, it will take you a while to get used to that time difference as you were there so long. Looks like you left just in time before this latest heat wave in Eastern Oregon.

We could use a bit of that cooler weather now with the hot and humid forecast in store. Cute pics of all the babies! That gazebo looks nice even if it was windy, a picturesque setting for a wedding any season.

We sure could Joni. It’s been nice not having the A/C on the last few days. I found it odd that both of our long holiday weekends so far have been chilly with abnormal temps. Those ducklings were so sweet. I wished I could get even closer, but the grassy slope is such an incline that with the wind it wasn’t safe. Like you, I can’t swim and I didn’t want to end up in Coan Lake anyway. They have a small church in the village area but it was undergoing restorations last year and caught on fire. It had extensive fire and water damage. It is being repaired, but will take a while longer. They often had weddings there – this was a first for me, but many couples pose in the gazebo on prom and homecoming nights since it is a picturesque background.

I never tire of watching baby ducks. They are so entertaining. I really admire your dedication to walking and running and enjoy the sites you document along the way. Nice set of photos!

Thanks Rebecca. I’m hoping to reach my goal of 1,256 miles and am trying my hardest, despite all this rain and extreme heat and humidity that has been here most of the Spring and Summer. This is one of my favorite places to walk, not only for the historical area, but I always manage to get a few fun duck or goose shots at Coan Lake. Those ducklings were so sweet and having such a good time playing and paddling around just like kids would.

Miss Linda………………………………your Miles for Meals blog was very interesting and busy……………………………I love the pics of the baby ducklings up-close……………………………I like Heritage Park also

Thanks Ann Marie – glad you enjoyed it and I wanted to put the backstory in because the event was so unique this year … the one good thing about these virtual 5Ks is that you can pick the day to do it and not be at the mercy of Mother Nature. But that said, who knew it would be so cold on Memorial Day weekend? The ducklings were so sweet and I’ll have more for you to see on Wednesday, also close-ups and some of them look like they are laughing! I know you like Heritage Park – it was a favorite outing for you to take your class when you were still teaching.

9. I didn’t want to miss your post, so I read it despite having had a cataract removed this morning. I’m determined blurred vision is not going to make me miss my favorite people. You know how hard it is to catch up if you get behind. I enjoyed the photos of the ducklings, well all the pictures, really. Great job.

Well Anne I’m honored that you came over to read this very long post despite your cataract surgery this morning. I still am trying to catch up and consider myself successful when I’m one or two days behind in Reader these days. Your blurred vision didn’t bother you in your response – it’s perfect. My friend Ann Marie had a cataract removed last year and I was amazed to see she was online and e-mailing me that evening that it went well. Hope everything works out for you as well. The ducklings were so sweet and you’ll see more of these three on Wednesday. This post was already groaning with pictures and text so I saved some for Wordless Wednesday.

10. J P says:

I love all of the buildings at this park. And I would absolutely do a 5k if I could have, say, 6 months. 🙂

This is one of my favorite places to walk JP – it’s not nature oriented like the Metroparks, but I love the historical aspect of it. You would do better than you think in a 5K! This September marks my 10-year anniversary for my walking regimen. I will be writing about it and will mention that I was pretty excited to do an entire City block when I began. I increased a City block every day and soon my daily journey was two and one-half miles and I was excited about that daily total. 🙂

11. Linda, what a fun post! The ducklings are adorable! You sure have some nice places to walk near your house. Heritage Park looks like a treasure with all those old buildings.

Thanks Sabine – glad you liked it. And sitting here I remembered this was the fourth 5K I’ve done for Happy Soles; my first one was in 2018. Those ducklings were so sweet and having such a good time playing and paddling around. In my Wednesday post, I have two ducklings look like they are smiling the way their beaks are open – I guess I caught them in “mid-quack”. We are blessed here in Michigan to have so many nice parks and this one is very large. I only focused on the historical area as I spent all my time there for this 5K, but there is a walking track that is 1 1/2 miles and you can veer off into a small forested area as well. The loop goes around the baseball fields where the Junior League World Series is held every August. Junior League baseball teams from all over the world come to compete.

• I didn’t know that about the Junior League World Series being held at your park. We used to watch a little of the Junior World Series that was held in Pennsylvania, but I don’t think they played there the last couple of years. As to the ducklings, I look forward to seeing that post. 🙂

It is a big deal for Heritage Park and they were disappointed it canceled due to COVID last year. They are on for this year though. I don’t think the ducklings will disappoint – they are very sweet!

12. babsje says:

Hi Linda. A mutual friend sent me your link. Glad to meet you virtually. I’m not a runner, I’m a walker (Boston Marathon 2x) but what a delightful post about these 5ks. Plural. Quite an accomplishment. I like the wide-ranging scope of your post – from ducklings to gazebo to little red schoolhouse to log cabin to water wheel. Your photos are all wonderful and your warm tone made a new follower feel welcome. We may have been neighbors years ago – I lived in the suburbs and worked on West Grand down from the Fisher Building. So just stopping in to say congrats on your 5k accomplishments. Plural! Best, Babsje

Nice to meet you Babsje and thank you for your kind words. Each year I set a walking goal and this year it is 1,256 miles, which is the equivalent of the current year in kilometers. It’s been a rough year to gain miles as we had a lot of ice and streets were not cleared well and we have been plaqued with these multiple heatwaves and lots of rain since Spring. This particular day was so chilly and windy. The Boston Marathon is quite an accomplishment and twice – congratulations! You sure can be proud of that accomplishment. Indeed we likely were neighbors. I used to take the bus downtown for decades, beginning in 1976 (two buses to get to school), then from 1978 on I worked in downtown Detroit. I have worked from home now for 10 years. I see pictures of downtown Detroit and don’t recognize it anymore; I’m not sure if the New Center area has also been revitalized and whether you would recognize it. Thanks again for your comments Babsje!

• babsje says:

Hi Linda. I meant to comment yesterday how much I liked your observation about mama duck with eyes in the back of her head. Your mileage goal for this year is admirable. I know how frustrating it can be when a goal hinges on the weather playing nicely. Hopefully those heat waves are done. (What am I thinking?? It’s not even August yet.)  Thanks for your kind thoughts about the marathon. Those times are in the rearview mirror. I broke my heel and fibula 8 months ago and spent 7 months in an orthopedic boot, nearly 5 months with no weight bearing allowed. So my goals are humble now – walking 25 laps around the living room, working up to ambling outside around the block, ditching the cane. I’m an optimist and it will all fall in place pretty quickly. I bet you’re right that I wouldn’t recognize the New Center area now – I left in 93 and looked at a map of the suburbs a couple years ago and saw that all of the open fields had been developed. I had loved living close to nature. I liked how your post about your 5ks includes so  much nature and local history. Not every runner stops to smell the roses like you did! Best, Babsje

Hi Babsje – When I began this blog in 2011, it was only about walking and for two years I just walked in the neighborhood until I discovered Council Point Park, just one mile away from my house and that is where I now walk daily. It runs along a creek, so there are often ducks, geese, herons and even Mute Swans that come here. I like the bigger parks for weekends, but this Summer I changed the routine because of all the rain which floods the shoreline parks – we had many soggy days and weekends and it’s hard to hike with rubber boots on, so if there was no rain I went to bigger parks before I started work in the morning, especially during the cool spells which have been few and far between. That Mama duck had her radar up. I think she was just resting her eyes as I made no sounds and instantly she looked onto the water and beside her to do a head count of her ducklings. It made me smile. We get lots of goslings at Council Point Park and interacting with them and their parents is fun but dicey sometimes. I keep my distance. I’m sorry to hear about your misfortune with your heel and fibula – that will be tough to get back into a walking or even running regimen down the road. Baby steps is the way to go though and you have a good attitude about it. I bulk up my miles now if I can before the days get shorter and also to account for wintry precip which has been arriving earlier every Fall. Then we have a warm spell in December which makes no sense. I’ve not been downtown in ages. My boss and I moved from the law firm out on our own and that was to Stroh Place (the old Parke Davis Building) just one mile from downtown proper. I see pictures of downtown and it is coming back, but I remember the heyday from back in the 70s and 80s as well. It’s a phoenix rising from the ashes of how it looked for a while. Take care. – Linda

• babsje says:

Thanks Linda. My best friend”s mantra is “baby steps, ” so your use of that expression makes you an instant friend. Hi friend. You’re fortunate to get to your park in the am before work, that’s a great routine to have. And yes, long recovery for the broken heel – they say about a year. But so far so good – I managed to avoid surgery to the surprise of the doctors. Stay healthy so you can stay out there with the critters! Best, Babsje

Well friend, I just dispensed that wisdom of “baby steps” to a good friend of mine a few weeks ago, when she returned home after 55 days in the hospital after suffering a severe stroke. She is the same age as me (65) and had the stroke on April 15th after a blood clot in her brain.
        Right now she is still in a wheelchair and undergoing extensive physical therapy daily. She knows she has a long way to go and is strong willed and her husband is her caregiver as she recuperates. “Baby steps” is what I told her after she posted this quote on Facebook: “Focus on the step in front of you, not the whole staircase” (Unknown). That’s a good mantra to live by when faced with any debilitating injury. You are lucky you avoided surgery. My boss likes to ride his bike from the office to Belle Isle which is three miles each way. Five years ago today he was riding his bike at Belle Isle and reached for his water bottle and missed a curb. He went over the handlebars and landed on the cement. Someone called 911 and at the hospital, he was given a sling and told he would need surgery ASAP as he dislocated his shoulder (third-degree separation). He has been a swimmer since high school and had a swimming scholarship for undergrad school. Before COVID, he was swimming at least a mile six days a week. He was worried he’d not be able to swim, so went to a shoulder specialist (who knew there was a sub-specialty for shoulders only?) That surgeon told him to use resistance bands as much as he could stand it and that his chest, shoulder and neck muscles were powerful from swimming and he could heal on his own. I was amazed the doctor didn’t want to operate on him, but said “give it a go” and he is fine now. No pain and is still as active as ever at age 74. If you’ve gotten this far in your recuperation without benefit of surgery, you’ll ace this Babsje! I hope to continue walking for a long time – there are so many benefits to it.

• babsje says:

Thanks Linda. So sorry to hear about your friend’s stroke and that quote about not focusing on the whole staircase is a keeper. And your boss with the shoulder injury did the right thing. I had my shoulder surgically reconstructed years ago and am the proud wearer of a surgical pin. Recovery was long and arduous and a big reason why I just said NO to heel surgery. Wishing only good things for your friend’s stroke recovery. Best, Babsje

You’re welcome Babsje. Yes, she does have a long way to go and she was a very active person. She and her husband were worldwide travelers before COVID. She retired in 2019 from being the head of the ultrasound department at a big hospital, but was volunteering at a couple of small pregnancy clinics since then. No wonder you decided to tough it out and forego heel surgery after such a long ordeal with your shoulder. My boss was very glad he opted for a natural healing process and just has a small knob where the separation occurred, but it is not painful, nor will it cause issues down the road. Heal up soon Babsje … I know that is easier said than done.

• babsje says:

You’re a good egg, Linda, the way you care about your friend and boss. They are lucky to know you. Last night I realized that you and I are writing a lot of long comments. What do you say about taking those to email and spare the blog bandwidth? Best, Babsje

Well thank you for saying that Babsje. I am fortunate to have enjoyed good health through the years. That is a good idea and I have noted your contact info; we’ll do that going forward for chatting.

13. Ellen Sue Pfafflin says:

Awesome review. Thank you for your continued support of Fish and Loaves Community Food Pantry. See you next year.

Thank you Ellen – glad you liked it. I look forward to next year’s in-person event. Belatedly, I remembered this is the fourth Happy Soles 5K I have participated in. I forgot that my first one was in 2018, so I just amended my post.

14. WTG on another 5K! How do you pop in for a 1 mile walk….that’s about all I could do! lol I want to live in the red school house. The view out your front door would be amazing wouldn’t it? This place is like being on vacation for the adorable little ducklings.

I love that little red school house – so cute. I always go up to it when I”m at Heritage Park because they have windows all around and they have some life-sized dolls that they put in the windows sometimes. One time it was a little boy, dressed in old-time clothing, had a sailboat in his hand. Those ducklings were so sweet … all the little squeaky quacks coming from them. When I go on a long jaunt to a bigger park, I try and stop by there before going home. I was feeding them in two spots all Fall/Winter/early Spring. But they have not weed whipped at the log area and I won’t go in there – weeds up to my knees and concerned about ticks. It is a quick mile … I say that, but when I started walking, my goal was to increase my walk by a City block daily and the first year I walked 2 1/2 miles daily. I started increasing steps when I discovered Council Point Park.

15. WOW – impressive, Linda. Thanks for sharing the history, the photos, your perseverance paid off, and I LOVE the CUTE duckling photos!! Man, it was windy………………!

Looking a the pictures I would never have thought it was that cold. The blue sky was deceiving. It was a very enjoyable walk from this vantage point. Your 6 week total was impressive. Too bad the total for all walkers fell short of the goal.

Yes, it is hard to believe it was that cold Ruth. I appreciated the rest of the weekend being cold as I worked outside the balance of the holiday. But on that day, it was downright brisk. The water was choppy too. Yes, it is too bad the goal fell short by the 99 walkers. Hopefully next year it is back to normal.