Father’s Day 2022.

Time to fête the fathers in our life for their special day.

My Mother’s Day post was all about Mama Goose – first, her nest brimming with eggs and then her five sweet goslings. How could I top that?

And more importantly, could I find a few critter pics (besides geese or squirrels) to use for Father’s Day? Voila! While on a recent outing to Heritage Park for a virtual 5K and on an intense search for Mallard munchkins, I spotted a few turtles sunning themselves on some rocks. Fortunately they didn’t slide off the rock and plop into Coan Lake like they usually do, so I happily clicked away with the camera. Driving home, the ideas were percolating about how these turtles would become my Father’s Day post. I put my thinking cap on to come up with some fun captions.

Happy Father’s Day! There’s a special message at the very end of this post.

This is Dad.
Dad was content to bask in the sun on his special day.
But then the kids showed up.
Dad thought “maybe if I close my eyes, they’ll leave me alone.”
The eldest cried out “Hi Pop, it’s your day so I brought a treat.”
Dad said “Son, I hope you didn’t bring turtle soup like last year!”
Oops – it looks like Dad pushed one of the kids into the water.
This kid decides to schmooze a little, putting his head on Dad’s shoulder/shell.
When his sibling similarly clamors for Dad’s attention,
the firstborn tries to kick him off the rock.
Yep, with one swift kick, he cast aside his brother –
yay, now he’s got Dad’s ear.
“We saw what you did there – we’re back! Did someone say they brought turtle pie?
Um – please define turtle pie as I ain’t eatin’ no kin!”
A grumpy Dad channeled Clint Eastwood and told his kids to get off his rock.
“Okay Dad – next time we’ll just visit Mom, but wait … Mom looks grumpy too!”

[Please click here for a special greeting.]

This entry was posted in holiday, nature, walk, walking and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

86 Responses to Father’s Day 2022.

1. Prior... says:

Hello Linda
    This was a clever post and your thinking hat paid off!
    Wonderful profession through the photos and laughing with your fun play on terms – like not eating kin with the turtle pie – lol
    🍰🐢

2. Anne says:

Fun to see 🙂

3. Marvelous post, and what a surprise at the end!!

4. peggy says:

Very clever way to make this post. Loved your photos.

5. I’ve never seen turtles congregate like that! Maybe a family reuniont!

You’ve got that right Kate – a meeting of the turtle clan! At Council Point Park the turtles gather on a fallen log in a neat line and if they see a human, they plop into the water right away. Same thing at the bigger parks as there is always fallen trees for them to sunbathe on. This is the only park where I see them sunbathing on rocks or the little metal ramp they put for them to sit on.

You know I loved the bird-themed card for Fathers’ Day!

Glad you liked it Laurie … I had a lot of fun with my Mother’s Day card after discovering the goose eggs, so I knew I had to give equal time to Father’s Day. The gull, like Jonathan Livingston Seagull, cruising the skies.

7. Fab father’s Day photos of the turtle family, Linda! Happy Father’s Day to the men in your family!

Very cute pictures and loved the video at the end! I would love to just see a turtle once – although I saw one crossing the road once, someone’s pet on the loose, it was too far away to really see.

Thanks Joni! I was hoping to find a turtle Father’s Day card but no such luck and I like gulls, so I went that route. Usually the turtles I see at parks are sitting lined up in a neat row on fallen logs and they plop into the water if humans get too close, but here they cluster on big rocks in Coan Lake. Heritage Park even made them a metal mesh ramp to go in/out of the water.

• Joni says:

I’m envious. I’m also mad. I wanted to watch Hotel Portofino the new PBS series Episode one on tonight at 8 and the tv station was all cut up with pixels, with a sign on it saying Cogeco was experiencing technical difficulties etc. Same message when I called Cogeco. I remember you saying you watched ACG&S online. Do you have to create an account or could you just watch it? Does the account require just signing up or do you have to pay for the service? As I missed episode one then I won’t know the characters. It’s set in 1920’s in a hotel on the Italian Riveria, a British couple runs a hotel etc. Kind of like Downton Abbey but six episodes. Of course at 9pm when it was over the station cleared up!!!!

I would be mad too. No, I didn’t have to sign up for an account or pay for it. But, if I recall, I could only watch it live and if I missed it you had to be a member. I will give you the link in a separate comment because maybe they run the episode again later today without having to pay for it. I will put it in a separate comment in case it goes to SPAM. And yes, that is always the way. I can remember us taping movies a few times – Sunday night at the movies, while watching something else, then later to find out the CBS Sunday night football game ran over and it didn’t pre-empt Sixty Minutes, so it cut off the movie’s ending. We didn’t always watch the taped movies until Summer, when other series were on hiatus … annoying!! Going to send the link now.

• Joni says:

Thanks Linda….I checked the cogeco tv listings and it’s on again Monday night but not on channels we get.

Here is the link – I saved it so I didn’t have to look for it each Sunday:

• Joni says:

Thanks – it looks like the page where you sign up for an account. I’ll check it out tomorrow – maybe someone will post it on youtube if I can’t access it on pbs online. I find so little to watch on tv or netflix that I’m disappointed I couldn’t watch it. 11pm going to bed.

I am ready for bed too (actually a while ago but hoped to get thru comments, then one day of Reader). I am pooped from all the time outside this weekend. I read your other comment that’s it’s repeated but not your stations you get. Annoying. I am pretty sure you can only watch it “live” because I had to make sure I was sitting here with the link up a few minutes before in case a lot of people were. Good luck with it Joni and I hope someone posts it on YouTube then.

Hope you had some luck Joni for a rebroadcast on PBS. I looked to see if I could find a rebroadcast somewhere – found many re-caps of Episode 1. A lot of websites I’d never heard of but “Us Magazine” I had and they gave a recap of characters. Hope this helps.

• Joni says:

Thanks Linda….I can probably pick up the storyline with episode two. Portofino is where they filmed Enchanted April, another period piece which I loved. I checked on youtube and episode one was posted by several people but you had to subscribe to their channels. I don’t know how people get away with that when they don’t own the copyright? I hope your day goes better.

I fished the link to the recap out of trash and put it back but it was an earlier comment, so will send it again. I actually subscribe to several YouTube channels of fellow bloggers, and an art how to, but truthfully I don’t go to any of them, as I just have run out of time.

You can unsubscribe after you watch it – it doesn’t show up in your e-mail. I was subscribing to “Jared the Camera Guy” to try to learn manually how to use the DSLR – you just go to one corner of YouTube and watch it there. You don’t get notices or anything.

• Joni says:

I think I’ll wait a few days and see how many posts there are on youtube. I have until next Sunday.

Yes, the entire show may end up being there before Sunday, so don’t read the recaps yet!

Here is the link to the show – directly to the show … I am watching it to ensure it is your show and it is:

I just sent you the link to the show – you can stream it from that link. I am listening to it right now so it works.

• Joni says:

Thanks Linda. It asked me to create an account which I did, but after I selected my station, Detroit Public Television, it did not allow me to watch the video without signing up for Detroit Public Television Passport, which is a minimum donation of $60. That gives you access to past shows. And it says livestreaming which is what you do is not available in Canada, as they do not have the rights to livestream in Canada. Oh well, I can wait and hopefully obtain the DVD at some point from the library. I’ll watch episode two next week and see if I can pick up the storyline if it’s worthwhile – it’s only six episodes anyway. Thanks again for your effort!

Joni – You’re welcome and I’ll send this quick note before I start work … first I had a link for a a recap on U.S. magazine – it told who was who, then I discovered the live stream, so deleted the recap. I’ll find it again and send it to you tonight … you’ll at least get the gist of the plot and know the characters. It didn’t dawn on me that Canada would not be allowed to stream … I know European bloggers could not view videos that American bloggers post.

• Joni says:

Thanks Linda….if you can find it easily but if you can’t then I can probably google a synopsis.

• Joni says:

Ps. When I first clicked on the player it said video unavailable and then I went through the rest. I’ve often thought of making a donation when they are soliciting online – there was a set of oldies but goodies CD’s once that I wanted, but when I went online it had sold out. I guess I want something for my donation!

I saw them advertise a lot when I was watching ACG&S. We used to watch the PBS channel sometimes and I remember them soliciting on the TV as well.

9. trumstravels says:

haha turtle soup! Great story and photos Linda 🙂

10. Love the young turtle that finally got his Dad’s ear! 🤣

11. J P says:

I wonder if there are such things as turtle neckties, turtle after shave, or turtle bar b q supplies? 🙂

12. Pam Lazos says:

Haha — good one, Linda!

13. Ari says:

lol that was adorable!!

14. Eilene Lyon says:

How perfect that you found one large turtle being mobbed by several smaller ones. Made a great Father’s Day theme.

Glad you liked this post Eilene. It was fun to compile. Yes, the youngsters mobbed that large turtle who always suns on that big rock. I think he considers himself “King of the Hill” and he really wanted no part of the youngsters. 🙂

Great turtle pics Linda! We see the occasional turtle in our pond but never see them out sunning.

Glad you liked them Ruth. These turtles really like sunning themselves on the big rocks once it warms up outside. Most of them have their eyes closed, enjoying the sun’s rays, just like a human.

16. Great guests for your father’s day post! Very creative with the plot.
    Thank you for sharing the pretty digital card.

17. LOL – very creative, Linda!! I love this line: A grumpy Dad channeled Clint Eastwood and told his kids to get off his rock. Thanks for sharing the nice card too. You’re so kind!

You’ve a great sense of humor. Love the photo with the caption: “A grumpy Dad channeled Clint Eastwood and told his kids to get off his rock.” What a hoot, so perfect.

Thanks Ally. I saw this scenario and decided it was perfect to weave in a little Father’s Day tale. That was the grumpiest-looking turtle. The smaller turtles were clamoring to sunbathe with him – he wasn’t interested.

He looks like “the king of the hill”. It’s always fun to see a bunch together, soaking in the sun.

20. Zazzy says:

I love turtles! Thanks for the photos. One of my gamer groups was known as Turtle Up.

Me too Zazzy. I had a pet turtle when I was about ten years old. His name was “Murtle” (or would that be “Myrtle”??? He lived in a plastic dish with a palm tree on the elevated platform. That was a clever name for your group. These turtles love sunning on the rocks. The turtles at the Park where I walk every day line up on logs for their sunbathing.

• Zazzy says:

I had a stuffed turtle named Myrtle as a kid! I also had a turtle in one of those plastic dishes with the plastic palm and elevated platform. I think my father decided he needed to live free, after he had died. I was a little kid at that point.

Say high to your turtle friends for me. They look like they are really enjoying the sunshine.

I almost put in my last comment that I thought all kids had a turtle in a plastic dish, elevated platform and plastic palm tree. 🙂 I never had a stuffed turtle. Funny they both had the same name too.

Will do – they like lounging there in the sunshine by the covered bridge. There is another group of rocks by the water mill, but they’re smaller and they slide off and go into the water if anyone comes near.

21. bekitschig says:

“turtle soup”? Ha ha, nice one!

Glad you liked it! I decided on Turtle Pie and was going to show a picture of it, but it looked funny in between the turtle pics, so I left it out. Do you have turtle pie in Germany? It is sweet and gooey pie, with chocolate, and caramel with pecans in it to resemble “Turtle” chocolates.