The butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker ….

I’m sure lots of prep went into your Thanksgiving feast, even before today and, whether it was bopping from store to store, or simply from aisle to aisle … food, glorious food, was and is top of mind today.

And, then there is pie.

Pumpkin pie rules on this day of food nirvana and what better way to top off a satisfying meal shared with loved ones than with a slice of pie?

Though I’m not usually one to share my special recipes in this forum, this year I just couldn’t resist.

But first … here’s the backstory about the making of those pies.

Although I really like picking out and sending Jacquie Lawson animated e-cards, (like you’ll find at the end of this post), my good friend Ann Marie and I have been exchanging traditional paper cards for all the holidays and our birthdays since we first met while walking along the perimeter path at Council Point Park many years ago.

Because Ann Marie follows my blog, she knows all about and shares my affinity for wildlife, especially squirrels. A few years ago, by coincidence, we both chose the exact same Thanksgiving card and it was received at our respective houses the same day. We e-mailed one another with that old line about how “great minds think alike” and how funny, that of all the Thanksgiving cards available, we both chose this Avanti card.

Who wouldn’t smile when seeing Chippies that donned their pilgrim hats and caps to gather around a pecan pie? This photo is from Avanti’s site.

Well, as I stared at that card on my corner cabinet shelf, I decided one day, some way, I would recreate that card with MY furry friends. In hindsight, I must admit, like some of my other ideas for holiday shoots, those thoughts perhaps were better left churning around in my head. But this year, I decided “why not go for it?” After all, squirrels love all treats and besides, I told myself “I’m just fulfilling the WHIMSY part of my blog title, right?”

As many of you know, I am no cook. The domestic genes passed me by in that regard (and maybe keeping a neat and tidy house as well). So, the idea of a no-bake, easy-peasy recipe for MY furry, pie-eating pals suited me just fine. What the heck … I’d even make myself a pie using a premade crust, dump some canned fruit into it and smear it with whipped cream topping – very doable, even for me. Martha Stewart may tsk-tsk, but pfft to her.

So, here were the fixin’s. I made one pie and when I was done I simply broke my pie apart, mixed it with yogurt and created yummy parfaits.

But I digress …

Back to the task at hand – making some tasty pie for the munchkins.

Now, mind you, it’s not like I could go a’Googlin’ for “squirrel pie” but that’s a whole nother story. After all, we had a Southern neighbor decades ago, who quickly downsized the street’s squirrel population using a BB gun because he loved squirrel pie. Believe me, I wished I could “unhear” his tale when he proudly boasted about the reason I no longer had squirrels hiding their acorns from our Oak trees in my flowerpots.

So here’s the recipe for pie for squirrels if you’re so inclined to make it. Note it is the same fruit fillers as MY pie fixin’s, i.e. pumpkin, cherry and apple.

First, take your spoon and stir up the Pecan Surprise suet cake, then load it into the pecan-flavored pie shell and smoosh it down.

Next, sprinkle Peanut Suet Nuggets liberally over that gooey mess, then press the nuggets into the suet.

Finally, add pecan halves to the top, this time tapping them down lightly with a spoon.

Admire, take a photo, then serve. Yep, those lucky munchkins.

But … did I have any takers?

After my pie-making chores were done, I tapped my foot impatiently while waiting for the heavy fog to clear. Finally, around noonish I headed to the Park and laid out their treats at the first stop, the pavilion. Well, I had created a feast fit for a King … pecan pie, peanuts and corn. Why corn you ask? Because we learned long ago that the pilgrims ate corn at the very first Thanksgiving, so yes, I tendered corn cobs to them for a first course. Here are some shots of the corn and pie.

Oops – we had a slight problem.

The delicious-looking, fresh-baked … um, make that fresh-“maked” pie scared the furry and feathered munchkins.

Even Parker was a tad perplexed, as was a Blue Jay – they both eyeballed that pie as you see below.

But, even though they were cautious, each grabbed a peanut, or even some of the loose dry niblets from the corncobs, but steered clear of the pie. No worries. I “get” it … the pie is bigger than you are. Next time I’ll make tarts. 🙂

I know I piqued their curiosity, or maybe it was the smell of nuts wafting through the still-humid air?

Picture-wise I didn’t fare much better at the Safe Haven Tree, as the yellow leaves hid most of their antics, but I’m happy to report all the treats were gone 24 hours later.

Some candid shots from the Thanksgiving feast are below, then a Thanksgiving card for you as I’m sure I’ve whet your appetite for pie and if not, this card will certainly do so.

Please click here for your Thanksgiving card.

This entry was posted in holiday, nature, Squirrels, Thanksgiving, Harvest time, and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to The butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker ….

1. What an amusing post! I enjoyed it

2. Happy Thanksgiving, Linda! Thank you very much for the delightful e-card. 🦃 🥧 The chipmunks gathered around the pecan pie are irresistible. 🙂 I’m glad someone enjoyed eating your offerings, even if you didn’t get to see most of the feasting.

Yes, my mom said that too Barbara. It sounds like it – the longer we enjoy these beautiful warm days, the more difficult it is to adjust to the reality of Winter.

Same to you Barbara! I am glad you liked the e-card and it was funny because I got an e-mail from Jacquie Lawson that they had a new Thanksgiving card and it was this one – perfect for my pies post. I had this post in mind for a while and did the photos about three weeks ago. Those Avanti cards are very cute and thy are based right here in Detroit. Avanti has two types of cards: animals or birds they use to creative holiday settings, or vintage photos, especially of Detroit, that they use for cards. These Chipmunks eyeing the pie is so clever. The problem was I went to the Park too late – the critters are out and about earlier in the day, but we had a very heavy fog, so I was much later. Same thing today, as I arrived much later due to finishing up yard work. Since I walked many laps, the squirrels and birds came out from their nest by the second or third time around. It was all gone the next morning. I think they dragged the corncobs to their nests.

You are amazing – the efforts you go through for your furry friends! I hope somebody enjoyed those pecans – they are not cheap! Happy Thanksgiving!

Thank you Ruth – it was a fun idea and I figured I could implement it. If I had gotten there earlier in the day, there might have been more action. It was that weekend that we had heavy fog that didn’t lift until mid-day. I usually buy the pecans on sale as I mix them into my yogurt or oatmeal or eat them as a snack. So I shared with the munchkins. I thought they’d go for the pecans first – they looked inviting and smelled wonderful.

Somehow the saying “no act of kindness goes unpunished” comes to mind. Silly squirrels, but tarts might be a better idea next time. Happy Thanksgiving, Linda

Thank you Ally. Yes, they are slow on the uptake sometimes and might have gone right to the pie if it had been earlier in the day and more squirrels were around. (I left later due to that bad fog we had ’til mid-day.) There is safety in numbers when you’re only a foot tall. 🙂 Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

5. Happy Thanksgiving to you and all the furry friends.

6. they’ll be waddling about after eating that and have a hard time climbing back up to their nests!

Yes, they would be in a nut coma like people are in a turkey coma today! I have some pictures of chubby squirrels and a squirrel tackling a corncob to share in upcoming weeks. The squirrels do waddle about as they get that extra fat layer and heavier fur. They look twice their size. 🙂

Happy Thanksgiving, Linda! I hope the critters eventually ate up your pie! You did indeed provide them with a feast fit for a king.

Your post reminded me of my dad. He grew up as one of 12 siblings on a very poor small farm in the midst of the Depression. Food was scarce. He and his 8 brothers would all hunt for critters to augment their family’s diet. He used to talk about his mom making “squirrel pot pie” and how delicious it was. I remain skeptical! 🙂

Happy Thanksgiving back at you Laurie! It was actually gone the next morning when I came back. Both days we had a heavy fog, so I didn’t get there until mid-day, so they are less likely to forage. In retrospect, I’m glad I didn’t wait to another weekend due to the fog as we had heavy winds and then snow.

Oh, I believe it with the squirrel pot pie being a tasty treat, as awful as it sounds. I knew some one in the office building where I worked who never bought any meat/fish, but hunted/fished for it himself. Each season, be it duck, deer and fish, from Spring to Fall. He never mentioned squirrels, but he did make rabbit stew. He butchered all he hunted and cooked it. His wife did not cooking; he did it all. He used to go down to Georgia mid-Winter to a locale where people hunted wild pigs. There are several places featuring pig hunts.

8. Zazzy says:

I think it’s a wonderful idea. It always seems to take forever for the critters to try something new – at least you have some taking an interest. Happy Thanksgiving!

Thank you Zazzy. I might have had more critter enthusiasm if I was at my usual morning time as the critters forage more in the morning, but the fog held me back. I have some cute photos of a squirrel who dragged a corncob into the middle of the Park to eat it by himself. I had too many photos in this post, so I left it out. Anything new, they are dubious … if there are more of them, they wait to see if others try it and like it. (Like the Life cereal commercial with Mikey.) Happy Thanksgiving back at you!

9. trumstravels says:

What a great time you must have had making and delivering that pie! I love the idea of pie for squirrels and that photo of the squirrels in Pilgrim hats is too cute. Happy Thanksgiving to you my American friend! Enjoy 🙂

10. Yum! And super-cool pics! I’m glad i’m a vegetarian. Happy Thanksgiving! 😁

11. rajkkhoja says:

“Happy Thanksgiving you, family and friends 🙏
    Delicious pie recipe . All photos are beautiful. Squirrel recipe is so delicious. Beautiful e card.
    Iam so happy, I enjoyed it, Linda
    Thanks!

12. Linda, you definitely put whimsy into your blog! I saw the nuts on the pie crust and thought Elliot would have the worst nut allergy attack…allergic to both walnuts and pecans. I’m sure Parker and his buddies enjoyed the kingly feast…those lucky squirrels.
    It’s funny because the other night Elliot said that if her were a squirrel he’d be the hungriest since he can’t eat nuts. I told him he’d be a vegan squirrel.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

Thank you Esther! Have to keep that “whimsy” going strong. I got to the Park too late due to the fog, so there weren’t as many squirrels out and about. I wanted to get those yellow leaves in the photos and we had heavy fog two weekend days in a row, so decided to go later. They gobbled it up and it was all gone the next day. One squirrel pulled his corncob away from the others and was chomping on it. I’ve got some pictures to use in another post. Back at you!!

13. Happy Thanksgiving, Linda! I never thought of making a pie as a treat for animals before — very clever!

14. bekitschig says:

Oh Linda, you just made my day! What a beautiful post 😉

15. peggy says:

Ah a feast for the critters on Thanksgiving. How nice. Looks like you enjoyed making pies and Thanksgiving for you was an enjoyavble time. Giving out your special recipes is great – looks delicious. Yum for sure. Great photos of the squirrels and I loved the chipmonks with their pie.

Glad you liked this post Peggy. I thought I’d do something a little whimsical for Thanksgiving, though I admit it was on the heels of the Halloween ghost cookies post. I have given the squirrels mini pumpkins or apples in the past by putting them along the perimeter path, but I hesitate to do that due to the hawks now. I shared some of my pecans with them. I am not a good cook at all, so this was fun to make and see if they liked it. Those Avanti cards are very cute – they have many featuring animals with food or in funny poses. That card was one of my favorites.

16. TD says:

I very much enjoyed reading your squirrel homemade pie recipe as well as those squirrel and bird contestants’ results! At the end of all the inspection and savoring through the 24 hour period, Linda scores a TEN ! Most of all I think you had a lot of fun with your Thanksgiving Day and that thought is sweet as pie.

Thank you TD! Glad to give you a smile reading about my pie-making adventure and serving it to my Park pals. I wish I’d thought of that expression “sweet as pie” for this post. Yes, 24 hours later, there was not a single crumb, nor a corn niblet left. I do have some cute pictures of a black squirrel chomping on a corn cob that was almost as big as it was. I pictured them sharing those corn cobs, but no … he/she dragged it away to enjoy it without the crowd. Their antics do make me smile. 🙂

17. Well what a surprising post this was Linda! Great job and I’m sure the critters enjoyed every bite!

18. Mackenzie says:

So fun to read!! & Such a fun idea. The squirrels didn’t know what they were missing!! Loved seeing my friend Parker 🙂

Hi Mackenzie – just trying to fulfill the “whimsy” part of my blog title. 🙂 Yes, the squirrels were a little slow on the uptake for this healthful pie. Parker is as mischievous as ever!

What a wonderful idea and post Linda! When you went back the next day was the pie all gone? I had no idea there was pecan or walnut pie crust. I’ve only ever bought the graham cracker pie shells. Those pictures at the end at the Safe Haven tree are lovely too with the sunlight filtering down through the tree.

Thanks Joni – glad you liked it! Yes, the pie was gone and I guess the pie pan flew away after they were done eating it. When I leave trays of suet in the Winter months, after they finish the suet, I find the square plastic dish has been picked up by the wind and carried across the grassy area. I really wanted to get those yellow leaves in under the Safe Haven tree as the sun was pretty with the yellow leaves and corn. The tree was all yellow leaves, but the shots of the squirrels under the tree were not clear, so I just used under the tree. I got some cute shots of a squirrel that dragged a corncob out in the middle of the Park and was chomping on it. That corncob was as big as that black squirrel.

Diamond brand sells the pecan and walnut pie shells you see in the picture and also a chocolate nut crust too. The Diamond nut crust is very good, like eating a nut cookie. The nut crusts are all prebaked. Keebler makes the graham cracker crust and chocolate crust. My mom used the chocolate crust for grasshopper pie with lime pudding/pie filler and whipped cream.

So I have one more crust left and will save it for the holidays and put a pie filling in it and mix it into yogurt for parfaits. I also have a pumpkin pie pudding/pie filling I can use.

• Joni says:

It was very inventive! Loved your post today too – what great shots! Caught up here for a change but I stayed up til 12 last night doing Reader. Hope I stay caught up…..

Glad you liked it Joni. I am behind too and was hoping to catch up a little tonight. Had to stay late at work first of all, then left work and it’s pretty windy out and either that or my internet was having issues and was wobbly. Couldn’t get into Comcast and only had one bar on my wireless, which is where it is now. We are having a lot of rain and high wind gusts all day tomorrow – are you the same forecast? I’m likely going to shut down in a few minutes as it I’m typing and am four or five words behind. It’s getting very hard to stay caught up anymore.

• Joni says:

I think we are having some wind and maybe a few flurries Wed. pm, but the forecast for the week still looks well above freezing. Hope you get some rest. I did get your gmail and will respond later.

Hi Joni – I don’t think it was as bad right here as other parts of the Tri-County area. Happy for that as I don’t need any missing shingles or trees toppling over after all the items that broke or were problematic this year. I hope you fared well too. Take your time as to the gmail.

• Joni says:

It was windy and cold but no snow just a few flakes. It’s suppose to die down overnight. Could be worse…..could be snow!

20. That was so funny! Maybe they were just watching their waistlines 🙂 I’m not a big pie-eater but, if I was, I think I’d be a little intimidated by one that’s bigger than me too 🙂

Thanks Janis! When making my little buddies treats, I always fail to take into consideration that they are only about a foot tall. 🙂 I think I need to switch to tarts next year – easier to pick up with your paws.