Morning has broken …

Sunup arrived.

Soon thereafter, the first rays of the day began peeking through the blinds, beckoning me to come out and play, er … walk. I grabbed my gear and rolled out the door just as soon as I could.

In the wee hours of the morn some fog had rolled in, so when I passed Ford Park I couldn’t help but notice the mystical-looking haze hovering above the baseball field. The saplings even looked a little eerie … dark forms in the grassy expanse. Occasionally, a very brilliant drop of sun pierced the fog, scattering some of those sunbeams, including bouncing them off my glasses.

Wow!

I slipped my hand into the camera pouch thinking what a wonderful photo I’d get to accompany today’s blog post, but through the lens, that sun made the scene blurry and undistinguishable.

Sadly that mist opportunity became a missed opportunity.

I put the camera away and just kept walking, but my head kept swiveling over to the field of fog.

I began thinking about the song “Morning has Broken” as I walked along. Back in the day I loved Cat Stevens’ music and must’ve memorized the whole album “Teaser and the Firecat” because I played it incessantly. Suddenly I pictured that high school girl sitting cross-legged on the bedroom floor, almost in a trance while listening to Cat Stevens’ soothing and smooth voice, perhaps even mouthing the words to those moving lyrics. Yes, I was that girl.

I bypassed Council Point Park due to the fog and decided to make the Rivers Edge Marina my destination instead. As I walked down Emmons Boulevard toward the Detroit River, I noticed the boats were barely discernible as they glided along the water on this misty morn. At the marina, however, there was some activity as people readied their pleasure boats to slip out of the slip for an early a.m. escape … a breather from the drudgeries of their day.

I stood on the footbridge and took it all in, then decided to hightail it back before the 8:20-ish train rolled through. Whenever I dare to cross the tracks and head toward the River on a work day, I always get waylaid by a train that seems to be at least a mile long … that’s Murphy’s Law I guess.

Once back home, a second cup of coffee downed, cleaned up and sitting at my computer, I hopped onto YouTube for my own Throwback Thursday. I typed in “Morning has Broken” … after enduring a commercial, those sweet strains took me back some forty plus years. I remembered all the words and sang them out, while my canary Buddy whistled and chirped as he struggled to keep up with me.

So, why don’t you take a trip back yourself and spend three minutes, give or take a few seconds, to put yourself in a peaceful place too? But, if you’re too young to remember the song, make sure to give it a listen anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0TInLOJuUM

Each day provides its own gifts ~ Marcus Aurelius

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Morning has broken …

1. czelek says:

Robed Choir sang that song for our Spring Concert our senior year.

2. ann marie stevens says:

Wow…….Miss Linda…………………..you outdid yourself……………I liked……”…..mist opportunity became a missed opportunity………”…….I do see the fields of fog whenever I’ve been walking this past week early in the morning………………so where did the saying : Murphy’s Law come from?………………….and thank you for Cat Stevens song I enjoyed it immensely and will try to save it so I can replay it ……………….and I copied Marcus Aurelius’ quote down to remind myself not to miss any opportunities
    annmarie

3. lindasschaub says:

Wow, Ann Marie – those are really powerful and positive comments to this blog. I really like writing that blog. I’m glad you liked it. Whenever I worked at Council Point Park on a foggy day, sometimes there would be geese walking around in the baseball field and you would only see their bodies, the fog was rising and enveloping their feet and legs. It looked very spooky. I really used to like Cat Stevens. He was popular and successful back in the early 70s, but then he converted to Islam, and changed his name. He no longer sang, gave concerts, or made records – got rid of his guitars. He only recently, after nearly thirty years, resumed his musical career again. I liked a lot of his music, but that was a personal favorite. The quote is a favorite too. It says it all doesn’t it?

Linda, I have to say, this writing today is like the opening story to a book. I really have not read such good writing in a long time. Your post are like chapters and it makes one not want to put the book down, but we have to wait until the next chapter written. What a wonderful talent you have. 🙂

Sandra – that was such a nice compliment and I appreciate it immensely. I have to tell you that the longer that I am blogging, the more I enjoy it. The whole experience and while it was writing a lot back then, five years ago, now it has become more about the photos. I think walking was the best thing I ever did for myself and not only for that enjoyment and for good health reasons, but also since it led to blogging.

This particular route I took is what I do now on the days I don’t go down to the Park for a one or two minute visit (for now). It is a nice route and on weekends I go to this small marina at the very end of the block which ends at the Detroit River. I can’t do it during the workweek as the train goes through around 8:20 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and it is very long. I am not keen on crossing the railroad tracks on foot to begin with (two sets of tracks, four tracks altogether) let along having to wait for a long train which might be 100 or more railroad cars. So it is a weekend walk. I am going to do a post about this walk I’ve been taking, recreating my old routes, probably when Council Point Park opens up again (hopefully soon). Tomorrow’s Wordless Wednesday will be all the rocks that I saw under a tree on this street (Emmons Boulevard). The rocks were created by some kids. The mailman was delivering mail and I said they were inspirational and he said they were there for people to take one if they wanted. I didn’t take any rocks but the mailman said the homeowner’s grandchildren were painting the rocks. I did a few posts on the painted rocks back in 2017 at the height of the painted rock craze.

Thank you again for your nice comment Sandra.

• Sandra J says:

You are so welcome, I remember the painted rock phase. Do you remember the pet rock. Someone made money off of that one. Funny how things like that become popular.

I remember the pet rock – I don’t think I ever had one. I also remember a hockey puck in a little wooden crate and the hockey puck sat in a bed of straw. I remember that because the law firm I worked at then had the hockey player Gordie Howe as a client. His business manager was his wife Colleen. After the pet rock craze, she thought it would be fun to have a pet puck and have Gordie sign it … I don’t recall if it was for charity or for their own business. But they were in the office to set up the idea and get it copyrighted and the attorneys that worked on this venture all had pet pucks in their office. Look how much money was made off mood rings. That I did have.

• Sandra J says:

I had not heard of the pet puck, How funny, And I had forgotten about the mood ring, that made me smile. I had one also. I can only shake my head at the thought of buying it.

Not to mention believing it! We would put our hand over it to warm it up so it “read” what we wanted it to. 🙂

• Sandra J says:

I remember that, how funny.