Bye bye birdies … (and Fall too it seems).

I’m glad I took this little jaunt to Heritage Park to view the Fall foliage the weekend before last. I knew waiting until “peak color week” in early November wasn’t going to fly because of the predictions for incessant rain and windy days on the horizon. Even mediocre Fall foliage is not a spoiler at this venue, because there are always a few feathered friends’ images to capture at Coan Lake, which is in the middle of the historic village.

You all know about my affinity for seagulls and I wondered if this was my seagull friend, Jonathan, from Belanger Park, as he posed nicely and made sure to show me all his best sides – he was a bit of a ham. While it could be Jonathan, I tried not to read too much into our photo session. 🙂

I had to have a goose fix because the Canada Geese made their return to Council Point Park in late September, then promptly disappeared again. So, I was lucky enough to see my feathered friends goose-stepping around Coan Lake …

… as well as giving me the side-eye and shooting me a look of disdain for daring to take a photo without asking first.

Although the geese featured in the header image took flight shortly after I arrived, they weren’t necessarily migrating to warmer climes. Here in Southeast Michigan, our Canada Geese hang out in the Mitten State throughout the Winter. You may see great Vs in the sky which are likely geese from colder parts of Michigan who are just passin’ through, or “local” geese taking a notion to fly to another park.

The ducks were their usual spunky selves, strutting around the grounds, or giving me coy looks, as well as even paddling and diving in the icy-cold water, while I watched, a cold shiver traveling through my body.

This Mama Mallard was on the move …

… I know how she feels walking on the wet leaves this time of year.

She eventually caught up with her friend/mate as you see below. Or perhaps he caught up with her?

As mentioned above, the reason I hustled up to Heritage Park was to see some colorful trees and this venue never disappoints, even though it had just rained a few hours before and the sun was a pale imitation of itself. Here are some of my favorite Fall foliage shots, albeit not at peak color:

We’re quite frosty these days, with a little wintry precip to boot. All too soon, I’ll be posting photos of an iced-over Coan Lake with a contingent of ducks huddled together to keep warm and seagulls and geese riding companionably together on mini ice floes. Can we please skip right to April or May?

This entry was posted in nature, walk and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Bye bye birdies … (and Fall too it seems).

We barely had any Canadian Geese around here this fall, too. I like your photo of the birds flying in formation. Coolness.

I wonder why that is Ally? They quit spraying the grape concentrate at Council Point Park by Labor Day. I’ve not heard of any diseases that would reduce their ranks any. Perhaps they anticipate a cold Winter and have gone South. The squirrels were burying peanuts in August already, second year in a row. They have an innate sense that Winters are not like we’ve had in the past. Glad you liked the geese flying in formation – I am always amazed by them, especially large Vs and perfect synchronization.

2. Especially loved the duck photos. We have Canadian Geese year round here. There are a lot of corn fields and other agricultural areas where they can find food.

Thanks Kate – that female Mallard was on the move. She was waddling all over the place before plopping into the cold water. We’ve not had many Canada Geese at my regular Park, so I don’t know if they migrated South or went to a bigger park – we had that algae bloom for a while that may have kept them away permanently.

Yes! April or May works for me. 🙂 Love the picture of the caboose.

4. Eliza says:

I hope winter treats you well and that you get stocked up… including with peanuts!!!!

I hope so too Ellie, however Winter is already intruding bigtime – we are below average temps and had an inch (2.54 cms) of snow this morning. First real snowfall of the season, not much and we had some Halloween, but it blew the snow away. Next week we’ll be in the deep freeze – as much as 30-40 degrees below normal temps and more snow!

I enjoyed seeing your photos of the seagull, even if it isn’t Jonathan. Why do seagulls always have a “disgusted” look? 🙂 So sorry to read about your wintry precipitation. It is raining here today, but they are forecasting a cold snap beginning tomorrow and lasting most of next week. It does seem like we went right from summer to winter in about 2 weeks!

Thanks Laurie – I think I like seagulls as they stay put in one place so I can actually take my time to get their photo taken. They do have a perpetual scowl! The wintry precip was here and gone in about 15 minutes, leaving an inch of snow and lots of accidents this morning, one fatal. The State Police came on the radio to protest, saying: “people slow down – did you forget how to drive and remember that your SUV slides just like a small car, so please don’t be fearless when driving it!” It’s all melted now, but we are getting that cold snap too – they are calling it a Polar Vortex, the first of several we’ll have before Spring arrives. You’re right – it was a poor showing for Fall except for one gorgeous week.

6. Your lovely photos were a treat, especially since you’ve already had snow.

Thanks Anne – they were much more vibrant last year – you really liked the red maple leaves especially. If I waited til last weekend, very few leaves. I took pics of this morning’s snow which has melted by now. It was very pretty actually – snowed like crazy for 15 minutes and that was it (my kind of snow … even that is too much).

• I like the NC kind of snow — rather slow and quick to go.

NC would suit me just fine Anne! When our family friends first moved to Inman, South Carolina after living in Michigan many years, they marveled how the snow arrived in the morning and kind of faded away in a matter of hours … I told my mom we needed to move there as it was my kind of snow. Now all the southern states often get snowfalls that close schools and have people hunkered down at home. Our temp now is 23 degrees, with a real feel of 18 – it will take me 15-20 minutes to get dressed to go out, but thankfully there is no snow/ice. What is coming Sunday night into the following week is not nice at all, 2-4 inches of snow and a mini Polar Vortex … way too soon for that.

• I wonder if the weather in the South is any worse than it used to be, or if it is more widely reported.

You’ve got a point Anne. It could be more widely reported, especially after the first year of measurable snow when they thought it was an anomaly, but now they realize it is more or less the new norm. I first noticed the erratic weather here about four years ago. I likely would not have noticed if not for peering at the weather sites all the time to see if will mess up walking. But those friends in Cary, NC and Evelyn in Richmond, VA are also posting pictures – sometimes it is worse than Michigan!

• If we get any snow worse than yours, I’ll be sure to let you know. You’re going to wait a long time.

I know that’s right!

Miss Linda……………………………….did you walk this morning before or during the “big snow”??…………………..and maybe that picture of the goose is our “Mr. Meany”.?……..from our pond

Hi Ann Marie – I walked after the snow. I wanted to take pictures of those snow-covered pumpkins I put in today’s post and some of the snow-covered leaves and within a half-hour’s time, first the flakes were coming down like crazy, then stopped, I took pictures, ran the car and went on a walk. I did not go to Council Point Park as it was later – didn’t stop snowing I think til 9:00-9:15, so I just stayed in the neighborhood. Did you walk – I know you walked even if it was snowing as you have a routine. The weather is crazy and I think you’ll be doing the treadmill in the exercise room by early next week. That was a huge goose that is in these pictures – it very well could be Mr. Meany. He was by himself. The geese in the air came down in the lake rather ungracefully. They tried to take flight a few times and kept bumping into each other – I don’t understand why and a woman and I were discussing it. I took some pictures as they made two or three attempts to leave the water and go into the air before they finally ended up grazing nearby. I looked at the pictures, but it looked like a jumble of feathers so I didn’t include the photos. They have removed the old barn at Heritage Park … I kind of liked it for pictures, especially where the big lilac tree and the white fences were in the foreground and the old barn in the background. Oh well.

8. Wow the birds all cooperated for you! The pictures are gorgeous and beautiful colors! Now they will be turning white…ugh!

Ugh indeed! We had some snow yesterday and I took pics for today’s post and it melted or blew away by noon when the sun came out. It is 23 degrees with a real feel of 18 this morning – likely you are the same. We have 2-4 inches of snow next week and an Arctic Blast coming they say. Already not liking this Winter-like season. Thanks Diane – glad you liked the pictures … the seagull is a ham. He stands there while I click away … probably figures I brought seagull treats!

9. Great photos, Linda! Your fine feathered friends sure cooperated! I love the Canada geese in flight!

10. Shelley says:

I love the pops of red you captured. The expressions you captured on the birds are wonderful! We have the geese that stick around too. I wonder if they could talk would they be cursing the weather forecasters too!? Glad you were able to get another walk in before winter takes official hold of the area.

Thanks Shelley – I loved those red leaves – liked the red leaves with the snow even more as they were wet and seemed more vibrant looking. I like coming home from taking pictures and finding out I have some animal or bird faces where they are looking at me with disdain or pleading eyes. I got some fun squirrel photos at the Park this weekend … I got a lot of miles walked this weekend due to the snow that will mess me up for getting steps done.