Wordless Wednesday – allow your photo(s) to tell the story.

This entry was posted in #WildlifeWednesday, #Wordless Wednesday, nature and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Roly-Poly Pal. #Wordless Wednesday #Prizewinner in Quarantine 15 category! #Wildlife Wednesday

He is huge, is the quarantine weight he put on. 🙂

2. Linda Schaub says:

He sure is grounded Anne – I looked at the burrow he was standing next to and was wishing if he tried to escape from me and I’d get a photo of him half in and half out. Yhe burrow looked too small for him to fit in. But he never moved. That made me think he was rabid or sick or something. A guy came by pushing a little girl in a stroller – so I pointed at the groundhog and said “don’t get too close – this groundhog has not moved and I’ve been standing here five or ten minutes.” He laughed and said “thanks, but no worries – everyone feeds this groundhog and he is just looking for a handout.” I said “no wonder, he is so fat.” This was right along the boardwalk, so lots of people traffic. A little mirth at the girth of the groundhog. 🙂 Finally lightening up so I can go … we have dark skies from the wildfires too.

3. Wow! What a butterball! 🙂

What a cutie! I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of these in person.

He sure was roly poly and I thought he was sick as he stood there so long without moving (well, just moving his head). This was right along a busy boardwalk along the Detroit River on a Saturday morning Then someone told me he lived there and people gave him treats all the time and he was waiting there patiently while looking for a handout. 🙂

5. Prior... says:

Omg – is he getting “nutter butters” from someone else?

I think that everyone who passes him on the boardwalk must be slipping him treats! This was a busy boardwalk along the Detroit River on a Saturday morning. The one guy pushing a stroller told me that he just stays there and people feed him. He told me that because I when I saw this guy approaching with the stroller and the groundhog had not moved, I warned him maybe it was sick as it was sick and to be careful. That’s when he gave me the scoop on his M.O. 🙂

6. Sartenada says:

Awesome looking. Not found in my country!

He was looking for treats and that is why he was so cooperative – I had no idea and worried he was sick or rabid and that’s why he was sitting there and posing so nicely. Apparently everyone feeds him treats as they stroll the boardwalk. 🙂

7. It came out to see If Trump was still around? It looks scared so I think there is another 2 months of Trump!

Ha ha – yes, it looked frozen in place and that’s why I thought it was sick, or worse – maybe rabid. I mean it planted its four feet and really only moved its head a little. Who knew it was there to collect treats from passersby on the boardwalk? Critters are smart.

• that explains why it allowed you to get so close………..It’s a mooching Hog!

Yes!! I was afraid it was sick and that is why I warned the guy pushing the young child in the baby stroller … I thought the kid might reach out and try to pet it … it was not far from the boardwalk and usually they run as soon as they see a human. Thought maybe it was sick/rabid … here I am warning the guy and he says “no, he is here all the time and everyone feeds him.” I stroll that boardwalk many times on a Saturday/Sunday and never have seen him, but admittedly I am usually there earlier – I had spent about three hours at Lake Erie Metropark first and so didn’t get there til noon, evidently prime-time for treats. 🙂

He is doing a good job of packing on the pounds before winter! We used to have groundhogs living in the woodlot behind our house. My oldest son would whistle out the upstairs bathroom window when he saw one and it would always stand up on its hind legs. I don’t know if they all do that or just the one he “trained”.

He sure is Laurie. I’m thinking he’s so heavy he would waddle. I’ve never seen one that heavy. Well that is funny about your son’s interaction with that groundhog – I’ll be your son did train it to do that. I see them at the Park all the time and only on four legs and running quickly toward their burrow and disappearing into it in a flash.

Miss Linda………………………………..Up close ……………..cool……………..I love ground hogs………….how did you ever get that picture??

Ann Marie- Have you ever seen a groundhog that does not bolt as soon as it sees a human?
      Not me! I was walking along the boardwalk at Elizabeth Park near the marina area and he was right there, just a few feet from me. I worried he was sick as he did not move at all. I spoke to a young man pushing a child in a stroller and said “watch out for the groundhog – I’ve been here a while and it hasn’t moved.” He laughed and said “he’s the resident groundhog who hangs out hoping to get treats! “I usually get to Elizabeth Park much earlier but this time I had spent about three hours walking and taking pictures at Lake Erie Metropark so arrived at Elizabeth Park later than usual. Noon must be prime time for this groundhog to receive treats,

10. You need to put a leash on him and take him walking! Lol

11. bekitschig says:

My goodness; he’s so big he looks like a wombat!

I’ve never seen such a huge groundhog. I see them at Council Point Park all the time – they are a little pudgy, but nothing like this guy. Then I found out that he positions himself there as people come by and give him treats. I’ve walked that boardwalk along the Detroit River at Elizabeth Park many times and never seen him. I bet he can no longer fit in his burrow you see in pic #3. : )

I’m not sure what it is Linda, but could she be pregnant???