Tuesday Musings.

tuesday-musings.jpg

This morning it was just 47 degrees when I stepped out the door.  For at least an hour beforehand, I heard the foghorns making their low, long and mournful call down at the Detroit River, but I guess they were only practicing, since it was sunny and clear.

I hurried out, eager to get my five miles walked.  I’ve been averaging five miles per day and need to step up my game a little on the weekends and get those steps done, then meander here and there with the camera.  Sometimes that is better said, than done though.

After the delightful day at the Park on Sunday, yesterday and today have been a little blah.  Only a handful of squirrels were on the pathway, Mom and Pop Goose and their wee ones weren’t out and about, nor were they taking their offspring for swimming lessons.  Surely there must be more than one pair of geese with goslings?

What I did see, but didn’t much care for, was a red-winged blackbird that suddenly swooped down from a high tree and attempted to knock the robin off the nest she was plopped on.  After this attack, the mother robin fought back, the two tangled, and after some angry-sounding chatter, both birds flew off.   That red-winged blackbird was very aggressive, at least twice the size of the robin, and his unprovoked attack in her vulnerable state, i.e. protecting her brood (eggs or babies) made me feel a little sad.  Another walker and I witnessed that attack and she said it likely wanted to steal the eggs, or babies.  Even though the nest rests on a low branch,  I still can’t see inside it, so I’m guessing she is still incubating those pretty blue eggs.  I worried she might be hurt from the confrontation, but the next time around, she was back on the nest.

Sometimes nature is awesome … sometimes not so much.

I saw on Twitter that today is “World Walking Day and decided since I’ve taken a few walks in faraway countries, that today, and for each subsequent “World Walking Day”, I’ll create a post reflecting back on a different trip.

world walking day.JPG

So, to stray off the beaten path via the way-back machine, I’ll include some photos from a three-week Scandinavian and Russia trip taken in 1983.  It was a land tour of Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark and included a daytime Norwegian fjord cruise, an overnight Baltic Sea cruise to cross from Sweden to Finland, and two plane trips, one from St. Petersburg to Moscow and the other from Moscow to Copenhagen.  The trip was taken June 4th to June 25th.

I’m going to choose a photo or two of me, representative of each country.

The first leg of our trip was Norway, and we landed in Bergen and went to Market Square to the Merchant’s Quay.

The Quay

We next traveled to the mountain railway station at Myrdal Valley which is 3,000 feet above sea level.

Train Station.jpg

After several days in Norway, our next country to visit was Sweden.   Most of my photos in this country were scenery or architecture only, but, we spent the day at Stockholm’s Open-Air Museum, then went to our hotel where we dined on reindeer patties and lingonberries over ice cream and enjoyed an evening of folk dancing at the Skansen Entertainment Center.  The woman in this picture was a fellow traveler  in our group.

Marybelle and I Skansen

We left Sweden via an overnight cruise ship to Finland.

Boat good.jpg

In this photo I am standing in front of the Sibelius Monument which is dedicated to Finnish composer Jean Sibelius.  The Park is in Helsinki, Finland.

Sibelius Monument

From Helsinki we traveled via rail to Leningrad.  Our tour group stopped for lunch before our departure and one of the waiters tucked a red carnation from the vase on the table into my hair and wished me “safe travels” before we boarded the train.

Train to Leningrad.jpg

We spent a week in the U.S.S.R. altogether.

First we went to St. Petersburg for three days and I have many pictures of the architecture and landscape but no pictures of me there.  Later in the week we boarded an Aeroflot Airlines puddle jumper for a short flight to Moscow.

This is a photo of my tour guide, Don Gilliland and me at the Moskva River.  The Cathedral of the Annunciation and the Kremlin are in the background.

Don and Me

In this shot you see the Cathedral of the Annunciation and the ornate St. Basil’s Cathedral in the background.

Linda in front of cathedrals

Our last leg of the journey was in Denmark, and we flew from Moscow to Copenhagen and spent four days there.

While in Copenhagen, we took in the usual sights like the Little Mermaid statue and Langelinie Fountain and Pavilion.

Fountain.jpg

Rosenborg Castle was a big hit with tourists as well.

Rosenborg Castle

It was planned that our last night of the tour would coincide with Midsummer Eve, so we spent the evening at Tivoli Gardens where there was celebration and fireworks that extended to the wee hours of the morning.  Our hotel was across the street from Tivoli Gardens so I had many photos of the fireworks after we left.

Hope you enjoyed these photos on this “World Walking Day” … next year it will be one country only.  Up next will be more signs of Spring from my favorite, go-to local venue, a/k/a Council Point Park, as I continue to walk my socks off!

33 Responses to Tuesday Musings.

1. GroundedHito says:

What a lovely photos!! 😍

Thank you! I am glad you liked them. I recently digitized my albums but they are still kind of raw and untweaked. Almost each image has some work to be done on it – mars from adhesive, and the scanner did not always take one picture at a time. A fellow blogger posted some pictures of traveling when he was younger, (though his blog is not necessarily travel-related). I commented I’d like to include some photos from travel as well, and today’s “World Walking Day” gave me a good opportunity to do so. It was fun and I’ll try doing that again next year. 🙂

2. Great photos! I ususually don’t suggest any “shoulds” but you should post a real photo of yourself for your profile pic! 🙂

Yes, Redwings are extremely territorial and they don’t like intruders. Male Redwings (especially) battle often in early spring.

Thanks Tom, I’m glad you liked the photos. It is not my usual type of post because I generally write more about nature while walking, although when it is not good walking weather, or the holidays, I do use photos from my albums for some posts. I don’t have any recent photos of me … probably the most-recent one is about 18 years ago, taken at work, and I don’t have a smart-phone to take a selfie. That’s why I used the image I found in a stock photo site for a profile picture. I don’t use my own photo on Facebook for a profile pic either.

I did this post because I was commenting with a fellow blogger when he did a post about a trip he took awhile ago. I said I wrote mostly about walking and some family events/holidays, and so didn’t stray into other subjects too much and he suggested using some old travel photos some time. Today’s “World Walking Day” gave me the perfect chance to do this. I will do it again next year. I used to travel quite a lot and was interested in photography back then, so have quite a few photos to share.

You just mentioned the other day about red-winged blackbirds and this one really showed his colors (pardon the pun) … he just bullied the robin right off the nest. Wonder if he is the same bird as I sent you the link for the other day who terrorized the geese?

• Redwinged males fighting each other is something else. No harmony of nature there!
        Photos of the distant past are oftentimes very interesting. 🙂

I’ve not seen any redwinged males fighting … in fact, when I see them they are usually alone. I really didn’t like this altercation with the robin … I’m sure she’ll not move off that nest without her mate close by to thwart any more intrusions or bullying.

I digitized all my photo albums last Thanksgiving, intending to put the albums in order over the Winter. But, between all the snow and the blogging traffic picked up so dramatically, the images are still raw and in Shutterfly folders where I uploaded all of them (plus a flash drive for safekeeping in the interim). Some of the album pages had to scanned several times to get all the images … the flat bed scanner did not accommodate the extra-large pages. Some albums from when I was a baby or young child were very small and the photos are maybe 2″ by 3″ tops, so will have to be tweaked, and maybe it will be a task for retirement. 🙂 In the interim, I can fish out shots to use. I will use a few of my mom and me from back in the day this weekend. This is what I did last year for Mother’s Day:
        P.S.. I meant to say yesterday that I also chose this profile picture because it matched the header photo for the blog.

3. Ann Marie stevens says:

Miss linda………………….thank you for sharing that today was World Walking Day and that I did go for a walk………………….that makes me feel good………………………….about your pictures …………I don’t know how to “see” them

I’m glad you got to walk Ann Marie and one more day of walking then a rainy morning – have to be like the farmers and “make hay while the sun shines” when it comes to getting walking done these days. Next year, I’ll just do one country. Decided to do one entire trip this year.

4. I loved your world walking day narrative and photos. It was marvelous to see you in exotic places.

5. John says:

You must have a wonderful time on that trip.😊 It’s so interesting with new places, and these countries are a big contrast to the US

It was a really enjoyable trip John. The tour was well organized and the itinerary was not only scenic, but there were some fun entertainment venues as well … we went to out-of-the-way local places to get a flavor for each country as well, not just touristy places. I was hoping I had a few pictures from Sweden to put in this post, but it was mostly architecture and photos of the harbor where we boarded the boat to go to Finland. Those countries sure were a contrast to over here … very clean, and always very friendly people in each country. We had the same tour guide throughout the entire 3-week trip, but a different guide for the week in the USSR due to the language barrier. I’ll revisit old trips again next year, but meanwhile … back to nature and walking here in the U.S. It’s the last nice day weather-wise, as we have four days of off-and-on rain and thunderstorms, beginning this afternoon, which will wreak havoc with my walking regimen once again. Enjoy your day!

6. Uncle Tree says:

WoWzer! Nice to meet you, Linda! 😉 Finally…he he.
    I knew you weren’t a cartoon. Me, neither.
    HaPPy WalKinG! Cheerz, UT

Uncle Tree … we’ve been incognito all these years. 🙂

I will attempt walking this morning if not too puddly at the Park. We had at least two, if not three, torrential downpours after I shut down my computer. I’d love to donate some rain to Nebraska and an Illinois blogger who says they are clamoring for rain as well because we have four more days of rain.

7. What an amazing trip and beautiful pictures!

Thanks Diane – I used to travel a lot when I was younger and thought it might be fun to spotlight this trip for “World Walking Day” … it gave followers a break from viewing squirrel pictures all the time, although the day before I had some fun putting together “baby” pictures of goslings and robins. The tour was through Maupintour and well organized. I had a very friendly group which was nice for me as I traveled alone. Met another woman traveling alone in our group so kind of had a “buddy” throughout the three-week trip, even though other tour members were glad to let us sit with them.

• I enjoy all of your posts squirrels too!

Thanks for saying that Diane – I can’t resist taking pictures of them sometimes. They at least pose nicely so I can take a decent picture without doing it on the fly. I have a favorite squirrel at the Park and his name is Parker. He always comes running over or climbs on my shoe or runs along behind me. I confess that I spoil him a little more than the others. 🙂

8. Lovely photos! It’s nice that you could travel alone yet feel like a member of a nice group. Btw, you really have beautiful hair!

Thank you! And also for the compliment on my hair. It still looks the same, a little shorter and layered now and have highlights in it, but same color. I have to say I was always lucky when traveling with a group that I did not feel like the “odd man out” … I took a two-week tour to Greece, which included a one-week cruise to various ports of calls, and it was all couples but a girl from Ohio and me and we were around the same age, so that was perfect. But people were always very friendly and, even if I was the only single one on a trip, they’d always invite you to site with them at meals, or on a train, etc. And, same for taking pictures. I always carried a pocket camera so I didn’t have to hand over the 35mm and have people have to fiddle with it – we’d get to scenic places and they’d ask “would you like us to take a picture?”

9. SindrElf says:

Weird to see Bergen from this long ago.
    But it looks a lot like today, even the flower-sellers are often in that spot.

Glad you got my reply – I thought it went to SPAM. That was a real touristy area at that open marketplace as I recall. I know what you mean, because I am originally from Toronto (I think I told you I’m still a Canadian citizen) and the Toronto I remember, even when we still went back to Toronto to visit through the 80s before my grandmother died, is not at all like today. Back then it was considered a cosmopolitan city, but now, the pictures I see are so modern – I would not recognize it at all.

• SindrElf says:

That area on those pictures are a lot like now, probably due to it being a touristy place.
        I bet the commercial areas are much more different.

In Toronto, they used to have a lot of factories in downtown – whole areas of town for factories for the garment industry, chocolate making, not necessarily factories like you think of for vehicle assembly – now all are office buildings … very different. They used to have a boardwalk along Lake Ontario which was very picturesque – now gone and streamlined, catering more to offices. They are trying to do that in Detroit as well to make it a tourist destination … that may not happen due to Detroit’s bad reputation for crime/murders and parts of Detroit are still torn up and burnt as a result of the Detroit Riots in 1967.

10. Ellie P. says:

Linda! What a pretty lady you are! 🙂 I just have a question for you – how long does it take you to do your 5-mile daily walk? I’m so in awe of you, that you walk that far. I’ve figured out where that would take me around where I live, and my mind goes “Oh nooo! Too farrrr!” Also, I have MS and although I have it VERY mild, my thighs do get numb if I walk far or too fast. Ay yi.

Hi Ellie – thank you for saying that … now my head will be too big to go through the door!

As for my walking, it takes me one hour and 15 minutes to walk five miles, but I do not go at a fast pace. There are a couple of women at the Park who race walk. Occasionally I have walked with them, and am breathless if I talk and walk at the same time. I don’t walk that fast.

I drive there two days a week to give the car a spin. On the days I don’t drive, I walk to/from the Park, and that is one mile each way, then I go three miles at the Park. It goes faster on the trail as you don’t have to watch for cars, nor the uneven pavement (some of our sidewalks are really bad). But, I started out slowly in the beginning and worked my way up to that amount … in the beginning, I started out just one big block, and increased a little every day. The first year I walked, (it was before I discovered the Park), and I had a 2 1/4-mile route that I did daily and thought that was pretty great.

Don’t overdo it as you will get shin splints and you will then have to stop walking until you can handle walking again. I have done that twice, on beautiful days when I walked and walked, enjoying the day, and overdid it, then paid the price for my overindulging. I’ve also gotten shin splints going up/down the stairs too many times without walking shoes on – strains the front of your legs. Get a good pair of walking shoes and get a pedometer, so you can track your mileage and keep track of it in a log and you will be amazed at your progress. If you wear the pedometer in your apartment, you may be surprised how many steps you log in one day. 10,000 steps is five miles.

Let me know how you do on your walking regimen.

Our weather has been so lousy, that I’ve lost four days of walking, so I won’t overdo it tomorrow, just 3 1/2 miles probably.

• Ellie P. says:

Must be a HUGE park if u walk 3 miles there!
        The most I ever walked in one outing was 8000 steps. Thought I’d die!!! 😬😁 Next most was 6000 steps. Almost dead too!! Both times I was with my daughter so we were yakking and I wasn’t noticing the distance, y’know? Anyway like you say, one has to work up to it.
        What are shin splints?

The Park is 22 acres and it is made like a figure 8. The first loop is more woody and .90 miles and the second loop is exactly 1 mile. I walk the entire Park and then the first loop again. The parking lot is huge and that accounts for at least .20 or more miles to cross it to get to the start of the perimeter path that goes around the entire Park.

Shin splints are in the front of your lower legs and result from too much stress on your legs from walking or going down stairs – it is more common with runners as they pound the pavement each time their foot strikes the pavement, but overdoing it while walking can happen as well. That is a lot of walking for you on each occasion. My longest walk was 6.4 miles which would be like a 10K but I wouldn’t want to do that too often. There was a woman who did pole walking – she had these poles that looked just like ski poles, and she propelled herself forward with them. She claimed she got a better workout (like when you see those machines that simulate skiing – Nordic Track I think they are called) because she had to pull herself forward, and she was able to walk six or seven miles a day and was about my age. I haven’t seen her in awhile as she some having some issues with vertigo and was afraid to drive to the Park.

• Ellie P. says:

Thanks soooo much for all this info, Linda! Let’s in future – if we write at length like this – use Twitter DM or email. I forgot to switch us over! 😀

Yes, good idea – I have a ton of posts on my “About” page from conversations with new followers. Yes, let me know if you try the poles.