Fields of fuzz and a fur baby.

FINAL HEADER

It was just a couple of weeks ago that thousands of dandelions infiltrated the grassy areas at Council Point Park.  At a glance, it resembled a golden carpet.

And now those dandelions have gone to seed, much to the chagrin of the Canada geese that enjoyed those sunny-looking weeds as a breakfast treat.  They had perfected the art of eating those dandelions, first wrangling the heads off with their beak, then slurping down the shiny stems like a kid eats spaghetti.  It was comical to watch them.

Most of the dandelions these days are clumps of gangly, rubber-like stems with delicate puffballs on top.  Once a week the mowing crew comes to cut the grass at the Park.  They are way overdue, likely because of this never-ending rain, so these delicate-looking dandelions are everywhere.

PAVILION.jpg

PATHWAY

The Canada geese are a little finicky because they prefer the golden dandelions, but these not so much.  They’ll walk through the fields, but they don’t munch on the spent dandelions.

GANDER IN DANDELIONS.jpg

I saw two families of geese with their goslings and they were grazing in lush grass, in a rare area that was dandelion-free.

The bunnies have been scarce at the Park this Spring and this is only the second time I’ve seen one since the snow disappeared.  From afar I saw him, blissfully nestled in this field, dining on dew-topped dandelions.

HUNNY BAR FROM AFAR

Since he didn’t even bolt as I neared him to take a picture, I inched even closer.  He gave me a sideways glance and just kept right on chewing away, as I clicked away for this close-up of him enjoying a dandelion head.

HUNNY BUNNY CLOSE UP

The bunny looked warm in his fur coat and I would have liked to grab him to warm my hands.  This Spring is such a disappointment.  When I left the house this morning, it was a mere 50 degrees and a chilly breeze was blowing.  I had on a sweat suit and a sweatshirt jacket, and, as the breeze blew through the Park, I shivered just a bit.  I sure hope this is not the new normal for Spring, as this season surely has fallen short of our expectations, especially coming off that cold and snowy Winter.  It’s hard to believe one month from today will be the first day of Summer.  Hopefully, the weather has perked up some by the 21st of June.

As I write this post, it is teeming raining once again and will continue all night and through mid-morning Tuesday.  Our Memorial Day weekend will likewise be spoiled by rain and rumbles of thunder.  The lawn and weeds are loving the rain, and I just may need to snag that bunny under my arm and bring him home to dine on the lovely weeds that are already popping up in my garden.

31 Responses to Fields of fuzz and a fur baby.

1. Cute critters, Linda! 🙂

There are pieces of Cretaceous Amber with Dandelion Puff Balls in them. They’ve been around a long time. Our yard has a good number of Dandy Lions. Mankind’s hatred of Dandelions is part of cultural ignorance. They are good for bees and many species of insects. 🙂

I didn’t know that dandelions have been around for that long Tom – wow! All this time I thought they were just hardy in my front and back yards. When it was warm a week or so ago, I saw some Cabbage Whites flitting around the dandelions. I told them I’d leave those dandelions there for them – no use yanking them out since they’ll grow back again, and again … 🙂 Glad you liked the pictures. That was a big bunny – he’s been feasting away on dandelions.

2. Ann Marie stevens says:

Miss Linda……………………..that’s the first time I’ve known rabbits to eat dandelions…………………but of course if they like lettuce they probably like eating anything green……………….I knew of the geese to like the dandelions………………………………………..that’s why the lawn maintenance sprays the grassy hills by the pond then to get rid of the geese…………………………..I suppose

I have often seen the rabbits eating grass, but I’ve not seen rabbits like I usually do – I’d see several on one walk in the Park, and in the neighborhoods. The geese were liking the dandelions when yellow – they were grabbing them up by the beakful, and the goslings were too. At Council Point Park, once the goslings have flown on their own, they will spray the grass with something so the geese won’t go there. It is something made of grape extract so it is not harmful to them. It is because walkers were worried about being attacked by the geese. Then the geese lose their flying feathers when they moult in the Summer, so they won’t be around for awhile.

3. It may be cool but it looks like the critters are enjoying their spring. I love the dandelions!

They really are enjoying the cool and rainy weather … sometimes we have had May weather that was as hot as those dreaded “Dog Days of August” and the smaller birds don’t have to rely on birdbaths to drink and take baths … they are in their glory.

4. pendantry says:

When I used to keep hamsters I’d often feed them dandelions… they loved the things!

The dandelions are very nutritious – especially the head portion and they sure are plentiful. There are still lots of the yellow ones around in the neighborhoods … I could feed an army of hamsters and rabbits on my own. 🙂 Years ago, I’d pull each one out by hand, but other neighbors didn’t do likewise, and the seeds blew over so I don’t bother with them anymore. In a month or so, they will be gone for good anyway. The yellow dandelions have added some color as we still have this cool Spring and not many have planted flowers or put out too many porch pots yet. .

5. susieshy45 says:

Linda,
    The fur baby is huggable.
    The geese are adorable and their dandelion story enticing.
    Your rainy, cold weather is making me envious.
    Sigh !
    Susie

Susie – Every time I see a bunny at the Park, I want to pick it up and cuddle it. I had a white bunny when I was younger – they really are sweet pets.

Those geese just don’t like those spent dandelions for some reason, but right now, all this rain is making the grass very green and lush, so they are in their glory grazing on it.

I know, we always want what we can’t have … you are suffering in the heat and we have too much rain and chilly weather … we need a happy medium.

• susieshy45 says:

I feel where we are is the happy medium. Where you are is the best for you and where I am is best for me. The grass cannot be greener on the other side.
        Bunnies are sweet – I wish I had some here. But we only have stray cats- I guess I should be happy with them.

You do have a point Susie. Bunnies are becoming popular for pets, especially the floppy-eared bunnies. I’ve never had a cat because I’m allergic to them. I have taken care of people’s cats when they were on vacation, but that’s about it.

6. TJ says:

You are so fortunate to have such a wonderful park to walk through and enjoy wildlife! ❤

Surprisingly, since we live further north than you, I think our spring has been much nicer than yours. We are enjoying many sunny days with just-right temperatures. In fact, we could use a bit more rain. Too bad you can't send your surplus our way.

Yes, I really do try to make the most of that Park and wish I had discovered long before I did.

We had rain this morning – it had stopped, I went out and soon afterward, it started again. Didn’t get far, then this afternoon, rumbles of thunder and then torrential rain all afternoon and I think it finally stopped. I think it is done until Saturday. Then Sunday as well. Monday we will salvage. Wish we could send some your way to help your trees and plants.

7. Ellie P. says:

I feel deprived! I have never held a bunny! To paraphrase Sheldon Cooper:
    “Warm bunny, soft bunny, little ball of fur.
    Sleepy bunny, happy bunny, purr purr purr.”
    Oh wait… do bunnies purr? Hmm…

They are very lovable Ellie. When I had my canary, I followed the vet’s Facebook site and every Friday they featured a “Pet of the Week” and they often had rabbits. Some of them were the floppy-eared variety and very beautiful. I did a post on Scratch, my rabbit, and located the post but back in 2014, my pictures were to tiny. I tried to edit it and enlarge it to no avail. You can peek here or I will see if I have a normal-sized photo and send it to you that way. https://lindaschaubblog.net/2014/04/20/hoppy-easter/

8. I’m walking in short-sleeved tops these days. The fog was so thick this morning that I wore a neon-yellow shirt for visibility.

We have that weather too Anne, much to my chagrin. A few days ago it was 50 in the morning when I went out – today, almost 70 and it go to 83 today. We have a heat wave coming for the next week. No in between weather … Spring passed us by. I have done that as well as to the fog. Over the years, Robb has done some contract negotiations with unions and asked for a tee-shirt with their union name on it for both of us. I have one from Bricklayers Union and had it on one day and a bunch of guys stopped and honked … not at me, but at my shirt and gave me a thumbs up. I wrote a post about – what are the chances that some tradesman from the Bricklayers Union come by when I was wearing that shirt?