Bountiful harvest.

Sweets for the sweets (I’m included here too)

It is a time for sharing the love and the food, or, in this case, the apples. Another Fall ritual, just like the mini pumpkins, is that I dispense apples to my furry friends. Michigan is a big apple producer (900 million pounds, give or take a million), so once Fall rolls along, apples are fairly cheap at Meijer. It is then I take advantage of the sales and get a bag for me … and a bag for my friends.

While walking around the produce section, I decided to get a second treat for myself, after reading a detailed description of a harvest dinner attended by fellow blogger Joni. One of the treats set beside each person’s plate was a huge candy apple. I have never had a candy apple, as my parents drilled into my head at an early age, that candy = cavities and I was only allowed to have the occasional hard candy. What my parents never knew is that my grandmother always buried wrapped Laura Secord candy treats in her apron pocket and they were thrust into my hand when my parents weren’t looking. So a candy apple treat, with its colorful candy that encased the apple, was a definite no-no for me. But I’ve had plenty of caramel apples, before and after having braces on my teeth. My mindset when I saw the display of caramel apples next to the healthful apples was “why not?” Then, if you are going to have caramel apples, might as well kick it up a notch and get the variety with chocolate chips and peanuts on them if you’re going to splurge on calories. Just brush your teeth afterward … old habits never die.

It was a gorgeous day for late October and I stopped to take a photo of the trees which, coincidentally, were the exact same color as those Rome apples.

Although I was wearing my “Peanut Lady” hat, I toted along the bag of apples. I was eager to offload the apples first – they were heavy. I left a few here on the picnic table for the squirrels and the birds. As an enticement, there had to be a few peanuts. I did this on a weekday morning, so I did not have time to stick around for three hours to get cute poses munching on apples. I do have some cute photos from last year of the squirrels smiling while enjoying their apples – you can click here if you’d like to view that post. Guess they liked the Jonathan apples better. 🙂

The view of the peak colors at the Park was worth a shot to show off those pretty leaves.

I supposed the squirrels and birds would have glommed onto an apple pie more readily – how thoughtless of me not to bring one! When we first moved here from Canada, I remember going to a restaurant with my parents and my mom glanced at the dessert selection. She said “apple pie à la mode … fancy that, these Americans don’t put cheese on their pie?” She was aghast. Apple pie with a slice of Black Diamond cheddar cheese was the only way I ever ate apple pie that Mom baked … and warm pie and melted cheese. Wow! I like my apples with a chunk of cheddar alongside them. (No, I did not bring along cheddar wedges for the Park furry and feathered pals.)

Hmm – if a thought bubble appeared over this sparrow’s head it would read “I hope Linda brought birdseed for us too and quits catering only to the squirrels, blue jays and cardinals.”

Well they checked the apples out … would they pass muster?

It appears there was some dissension in the ranks. Looks like somebody was about to get outta Dodge! The picture is kind of dark as it is under the pavilion roof, but you get the gist of the angry sparrow and one about to take flight – the others are nonchalant.

I continued on my good will journey, dispensing apples and taking a load off my arm, which had the tote bag with the remaining apples swinging on it … try carrying a tote bag with apples, a Ziploc bag with peanuts and the camera … I need another hand to get it all done with ease.

Aah – the special, custom-made memorial plaque, shows a tribute to a nature lover, like myself, thus a perfect spot to place these treats.

It wasn’t long before a squirrel came over to investigate and give the apple the sniff test.

Obviously he or she preferred peanuts, and though the apple may have some worth, peanuts rule in this Park.

I had a multitude of squirrel and Park photos taken so far this Fall and my picture folders were groaning with photos, separated into future posts, and I have finally reached the end of my Autumn Park photos. While I will always carry along the camera, I likely won’t be dragging it out as often on my walks, though I hope to capture more antics of my furry and feathered pals in the snow in the coming months, likely on weekends, when I have more time.

As we near our Thanksgiving holiday, I hope that your harvest is bountiful, your table will be laden with holiday fare and you’ll be surrounded by those you love.

This entry was posted in holiday, nature, walk and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

62 Responses to Bountiful harvest.

1. In all species, the healthy food gets eaten last! 🙂

Thanks for the link/shout out Linda! Those apple pictures are gorgeous! I much prefer a caramel apple myself to those hard red candy things, but have not had a fancy one with peanuts etc.

You’re welcome Joni – it prompted me to get those caramel apples and they had the plain caramel, but I of course had to be like a kid and get all the extra stuff on them. We used to go to a frozen custard stand – they are known all around my part of town and the custard is so creamy and tastes delicious all on its own. But I laugh at the kids sometimes who have all the extras on their cone – everything that they dip them in, they want. 🙂 We had a week or ten days in October that was just spectacular. I walked and walked and kept taking pictures every day. I always know what comes down the pipeline, so I have to seize the day.

• Joni says:

I missed all the lovely October weather, the nicest month of this year, so I don’t have any pretty pictures of trees at all.

Yes, you had an eventful October and not in a nice way and your Summer was consumed with the reno and the wasps. That week to ten days were the best of our entire Fall … tomorrow is not looking good with the 45-50 mph winds and an all-day rain … it could be worse and be snow, so I’m grateful for that.

3. asgarmollart says:

Really amazing post friend, I like your work. Here is a new friend, Stay connected always.

My husband loves candy apples but won’t eat them any more because he is afraid of breaking a tooth and having to go to the dentist. I prefer caramel apples.

I’d be afraid of that too Ruth. I won’t eat anything that would break a tooth and when I had braces on my teeth for three years, gum and anything sticky was forbidden. I one time had a loose wire (I had the wraparound braces – they don’t exist now) … my father took tin snips as it was a long holiday weekend and we covered the wire with dental wax. The orthodontist insisted I ate caramels or chewed gum – silly man. I hated going there as he would have a rubber mallet as would his two assistants and they would pound in new hardware or restring wires. Not fun. I never ate hard candy, yet I got cavities and what my grandmother gave me was not enough to cause that to happen. When I was a kid, we went to the dentist and got fluoride painted on our teeth – it was a clear coating like nail polish and the dentist painted your teeth and you had to clamp down on cotton balls to help it dry without your teeth touching. It was once a year – is this a Canadian thing, or did they do this here too? (I am mindful you are younger than me.)

5. An apple a day … Cute pictures of all your fury friends, Linda! I’ve never had one of those candied apples either. They just never appealed to me. Lucky squirrels and other critters to be treated to such a feast! You are a kind woman! 🐿

Thanks Sabine – last year I got much cuter pictures as they sat and ate the apples and dragged them around first while I was still there. I wasn’t allowed hard candy growing up, so it would not appeal to me either. I was allowed a candy cane at Christmas and that was about it – my grandmother had Lifesavers and would give them to me or Humbugs (those were buttered rum hard candies) … you think I could remember that name to put in my post … now it comes to me. They were brown and white striped, little pillow-shaped hard candies and one of Laura Secord’s biggest sellers. They were like a Russell Stover or Sanders. I like feeding them and get a kick out of those squirrels – they enjoy and need the food, so it is a win-win!

• I wouldn’t think squirrels eat hard candy, but then again they probably eat just about anything. I hope winter won’t be too harsh for you and your furry friends! ☃️

I think they eat about everything too Sabine. My neighbor used to feed them Christmas cookies. She liked to bake, but also got a lot of phone calls. She would put a batch of sugar cookies in the oven, then get a call and they would burn on the bottom – not burnt black, just brown, so she’d wait til they cooled and then line them up along the deck railing and she had “takers” in a matter of minutes. Never the birds because the squirrels would rush over. I decided to try feeding Parker some M&Ms one time after researching to ensure the chocolate or candy was okay for him. Always curious – they were a hit, but I don’t think he associated the fact there was a nut under the candy/thin layer of chocolate underneath. I think this is where I introduced Parker, though not by name,

I hope Winter is kind to us too. The last three, maybe four years have been pretty rough.

I know the little critters love to see you coming. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

7. The colors in your photos are brilliant.

Thanks Anne – the apples and those leaves were exactly the same color. That was a beautiful weather week we had … we’ll wait an entire year to have a stretch of warmth and color like that again.

• I hope you are wrong about the weather. You deserve more lovely weeks.

Thank you Anne – it seems the forecast gets worse each time I hear it. We are going to have very high winds tomorrow beginning at 9:00 a.m. and lasting through the day (40+ mph winds) and Saturday will be a sleety mess. Much too early for this wintry mix to be going on, but it is more reasonable now, than on Veteran’s Day when we had 8.8 inches of snow … that was downright ridiculous!

Miss Linda…………………….it was a pleasure reading your beautiful November day at the park feeding the park critters treats that they liked

Glad you enjoyed it Ann Marie; I know they enjoy the apples, not as much as last year though … at least when I was around. Last year they were chomping on their apples before I left. I’m done dispensing treats (other than peanuts) until Christmas week; I got a little something to put out for the birds and the squirrels, though I know the squirrels will likely take it for themselves. They cannot be respectful and polite, like at Elizabeth Park at the tree where all the feeders are and everyone awaits their turn … do you notice that little feeding station when you and Steven drive by?

9. I can’t wait to see what they get on Thanksgiving…lol

Ha ha – mini pumpkin pies perhaps? No, I am done with treats (except peanuts) now until around Christmas time. I got something to leave for the birds and squirrels, though the squirrels are piggy and will try to eat it first. The sparrows nest underneath the pavilion – I may try to hook it under there somehow. It will keep the seeds dry. Last year the squirrels ate the seed bells and sunflower seeds I left for the birds – and the suet too. Someone strung some string between two trees. I don’t know why as it is not strong rope that would hold a tree upright if it was listing. Can’t figure it out, but it’s too high to reach to put a feeder and besides it might pull the string down and the birds will fall and the bell treat on top of them and maybe they’s be injured. I am thinking about putting it in the water fountain – it’s been broken for years so no one drinks from it … anywhere else the squirrels can access it.

10. sounds like you need to get a back pack Linda. I carry one each day.When your in the Park just sling the camera around your neck to keep your hands free.
    I can’t believe you’d eat all those candy apples!
    Peanuts are their own trading currency, like smokes in jail and a much healthier choice too!

I do have a lightweight waterproof backpack I got a few years ago at back-to-school time and got another one from one of the 5Ks I was in this year.
      That is a good idea instead of using the tote bag on my arm, especially if I lug along the crampons, which are heavy and I put them in heavy bubble wrap so I did not gouge myself on the “teeth” walking to and from the Park a week ago after the big snow storm. I’m not into my heavy squall jacket yet and it has big cargo pockets. I’ve been feeding them more than I usually do due to that storm and the frozen ground. I didn’t eat those apples over one day – in fact, when I went to eat them, they had turned mushy and each one fell off the stick – grrrr. I ended up chopping them up and having them that way. In the end, I think plain apples with cheese are a better treat!

11. Shelley says:

Your generosity to the critters is so nice. Around our yard, they get the apples that are not so fresh and ripe – they are easier for them to break into (I hope!). I love all the pops of red in your photos. And that you treated yourself to some caramel apples. We grew up with the cheese on the apple pie too. But the alamode is nice with French vanilla bean ice cream! Now I’m hungry – and feel the need to burn off some calories… Happy Thanksgiving week to you, Linda. I hope you get to take plenty of enjoyable walks and that the snowstorm holds out and misses your state.

I enjoy feeding them in the Fall Shelley. I know they are putting away peanuts for the Winter, but feel they should have some other treats too. Like us humans – “man cannot live on bread alone” – but they resist and are always stubborn initially. I will return at Christmas with more treats (for the birds too) and have to devise a trick to keep the mischievous squirrels away. I like that flavor of ice cream too. Actually I’ve not had pie in years, since I won’t buy a whole one, although Meijer has the mini pies you can buy. Enjoy your holiday with the girls and your big 55 b’day as well!

• Shelley says:

You’re so kind, Linda, your efforts warm my heart! Thank you for the holiday wishes. I hope you enjoy that mini pie!! It’s the perfect size if you ask me. The big pies lead to too many servings!!

I am glad to read that you bought yourself a treat along with the treats for all of your furry friends. I didn’t see anyone actually eating the apples. Did they take them? We grew up eating apple pie with either ice cream or homemade whipped cream. Mmmmm… I am hoping for some apple pie for Thanksgiving dinner!

Yes, I had read that fellow blogger’s “harvest dinner” and they had candy apples as appetizers. I don’t even think they sell candy apples anymore – bad for the teeth. I ended up cutting mine up with their caramel, nuts and chocolate still on them as they all fell off their sticks! Hope you get that apply pie Laurie for Thanksgiving. I also hope your son/family got there safely. The radio station I listen to regularly, the morning anchor/husband have been visiting their son in Denver and planes have been grounded due to all the snow for hours, maybe a day! She called in and tweeted a picture of the snow at the airport. The squirrels did not lunge for the apples, preferring the peanuts instead and I waited a while and had to leave as it was during the week and I had to get to work. Last year, I was lucky to get several photos of them lugging them around or pushing them and also eating the apples and enjoying them – they were very cute doing that!

• Laurie says:

I did not get apple pie for Thanksgiving, but I did get a really yummy S’mores pie made my my niece.
        I don’t know if I told you, we had a tornado warning early Friday morning (4 a.m.) There were some tornadoes spotted in Scottsdale!
        My son and his family did get home safely but they got a bunch of snow yesterday in Steamboat springs.
        I guess the squirrels eventually ate the apples. Peanuts are more calorie-dense and that is what they want at this time of year@!

Wow – I didn’t hear about the tornado warnings – the news was full of stormy weather last Wednesday and today, but Friday it was ad nauseum about Black Friday. (This year it was the lack of people at the malls – a little twist.) That is scary and I heard that a family was crossing a swollen creek in a Jeep and a child was lost in the water. I never heard that story until today though. Is Steamboat Springs having a bad Winter?
        When you visited at Easter they still had the snow as you said it was a white-knuckle drive getting to the airports through the mountains. Perhaps that is the norm.

• Laurie says:

There were lots of people out shopping in Scottsdale. Thank goodness I didn’t have to be among them. I am not a good shopper!

Steamboat Springs had their snowiest month of October ever. I am not sure about November, but they seemed to get a lot of snow then too.

I am not a good shopper either Laurie. I went one year on Black Friday to try it out and Black Friday was a fairly new concept then. This was before the stores were not open on Gray Wednesday, nor on Thanksgiving Day as they are now. Just a throng of people at Fairlane Mall and you moved like in a herd of cattle and had to extricate yourself from the crowd to get into a store … never again! At least in Scottsdale they are not bundled up, feeling bulky with winter clothing, before they even start hauling around their bags of bargains. Snow in October would not sit well with you nor me – we are snow haters, although I must admit it must be pretty if you don’t have to drive in it or shovel it.

• Laurie says:

I would imagine the crowds for Black Friday are not what they once were. I am doing most of my shopping online this year and I imagine lots of people are like me. So much easier! I shop in our small town as much as possible, but there are no toy stores, so those I have to get online!

You cannot beat the deals online, Black Friday or otherwise – Amazon dangles their variety and low prices, all just a click away, in front of you so who can resist? And the great sales are just an added bonus. The retail workers will rejoice when the store owners have a heart and let them enjoy their holiday at home, and not waiting on customers.

• Laurie says:

So true! They even have to work on Thanksgiving these days!

13. Eliza says:

Your grandmother sneaking you treats made me laugh. I love reading their thoughts 🙂 l. You took great pictures as usual. Cool that you’ve gotten all the August pictures! No need to take your camera always ‘m- unless you’re doing cool stuff in the snow. You can probably get awesome photos from just outside your door and now that it’s colder you need to keep warm!

Can’t recall what else I was going to say…

Love, light and glitter

Yes, she was funny about that – and it was “our secret” – my parents were very strict about eating candy when I was growing up, a candy cane at Christmas and a chocolate bunny at Easter but the jellybeans, well I was lucky if I got one of them as they were pure sugar.

We had a gorgeous day today, very mild and felt like Spring or a September day … it all goes bad though tomorrow, it was fleeting but nice.

14. Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you have a blessed one! … we have a candy making whip near us who makes “turtle apples.” Those are caramel apples that are then drizzled with chocolate and dipped in chopped pecans. Oh. My. They are absolutely delicious, and it’s hard for me to not eat the whole entire thing, especially, when I’ve convinced myself it’s healthy because after all, it’s an apple! 🍎🍏🍫😂🤣