Friday Frivolity.

I thought I’d dust off “Friday Frivolity” as it has been way too long and we need a smile. It’s been a few weeks of weather weirdness – we had Summer, Fall and Winter-like conditions cycling through and finally Fall seems to have won. During this time I needed to listen closely to the weather forecast before leaving on my walk because one time temps dropped some 33 degrees in one day alone!

It’s easy for us to deal with the weather eccentricities – we will just stick another log on the fire, or add a hat, scarf, gloves and a heavier coat before departing the house. My squirrel buddies at the Park are not so lucky because they can’t simply don or remove a layer. That’s why they’ve been foraging like crazy for months, tucking away treasures like acorns and begging shamelessly for peanuts. What they haven’t promptly buried, they’ve eaten as they’re bulking up for the long Winter months ahead. I may like to think I’m helping them fatten up for those lean days, but Mother Nature has done her part too – she’s given my peanut pals an extra layer of fat to keep them warm and their fur thickens too. Right now they look like roly polies and I’ve got a collection of pudgy peanut pals to share in an upcoming post. We’ll have a little mirth at their girth.

If you’ve followed this blog awhile, you’ve met Parker, the cute and precocious Fox Squirrel who has my heart.

He had my heart twice on this past Valentine’s Day – you can read the post by clicking here or just admire him below:

Meet Puff and Fluff.

The Park is full of gray and black squirrels too. They are much smaller than the Fox squirrels and timid by nature – sometimes even rattling the bag containing the peanuts causes them to split, right up the nearest tree. I try to sweet-talk them down, even tossing a few extra peanuts onto the path, or at the base of the tree as an incentive, to no avail. I sometimes think it’s a ploy on their part – “let’s see how many extra peanuts Linda will give us by staring at her from up here!” They’re not so dumb are they?

But two furry fellows in this crowd of petite squirrels are a little friendlier and have appeared in some of my recent photos taken at the Park. I’ve named them Puff and Fluff. They look cuddly and let me approach them without bolting … so far anyway.

This is Puff, a sweet, jet-black cloud of fur with a floofy tail.

I tried his name out and he turned and looked at me – he liked it!

Puff soon discovered that he got extra peanuts for being so attentive …

… a tasty reward which he promptly put to good use cramming two into his mouth.

This is Fluff, aptly named for his huge tail that he often swishes wildly, or in this case, is using to keep warm.

I think Fluff is pondering what pose would net the most peanuts – what an endearing, but shy boy here.

Well it worked … soft touch that I am, I gave him extra peanuts and even pointed them out as they were hard to find in those colorful leaves.

I walked away as he was happily munching, but the next time I passed by, I got this look … who could not smile and toss out a few more peanuts?

I’m sure you’ll be seeing lots more of Puff and Fluff and their friends in the months ahead.

This entry was posted in nature, walk, walking and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Friday Frivolity.

Such great shots Linda! Have a great weekend. 🙂

2. yarncraftsbymary says:

They’re all so cute! We had two squirrels, Harry and Marve, visit our porch in Illinois. I’ve seen white squirrels, but never black.

3. Yes! Keep the Fluff and Puff shots coming!

4. I’ve never seen a black squirrel before, except in pictures. Puff is so handsome! And Fluff is precious, too, with all the different colors in his coat. Parker is so cute holding that big heart. You’ve got some fantastic shots, Linda. I think the first one of Fluff is my favorite. 💙

Glad you like the photos Barbara. The black squirrels are very sleek, jet black and some have a pinkish nose. They are small like the gray squirrels and so very timid. The Fox squirrels like Parker are much bigger. They all seem to get along though. Parker is very cute and I took those cookies around Valentine’s Day and got pictures of him hogging all the cookies and not sharing with the others. That picture of Fluff with the tail over his head was my favorite too – it sure sheltered him from the cold air that day.

5. J P says:

The black squirrels are fascinating to me. I’m not sure when I last saw one.

They are small like the gray squirrels JP and they move very quickly. They are usually pretty skittish and will give me wide berth when I lay down peanuts. They sometimes won’t go get them until I walk away. These two have become more trusting throughout the Fall.

6. We don’t have black squirrels here. I also love the extra ear tuffs they grow in the fall to keep warm.

They are really timid and run away most of the time. These are getting used to me. The black and gray squirrels are the same size and will run up a tree and peek around the corner at me … that’s my signal to leave I guess. I see those built-in “earmuffs” on the Fox squirrels in the Winter – whatever works to keep warm!

7. Christie Hawkes says:

Thanks, Linda, for starting my day with a smile. These guys really are cute and endearing. I found your blog through a comment you left on Laurie’s Meditation in Motion. I’m sure glad I did! I hope you are having a lovely day!

Glad to give you a smile to start your day Christie. My furry pals give me a smile every morning too as I walk through the Park and they start my day off right. Thank you for stopping by Christie. Laurie and I are the same age and often compare “back-in-the-day” notes with one another. We had another very warm day (for November in Michigan) … we are getting spoiled, but a little snow by the end of the weekend. Have a good evening.

8. bindyamc says:

Nice ! It was interesting to read that Puff responded to your calls.Cute ones!

Oh they are cute as can be. Great names, too. Happy Weekend.

10. Oh Linda, those guys are absolutely adorable!! Great photos! All of them! 🙂

That Fluff is a cutie! Nice photos! 🙂

12. Dave says:

Looks like Fluff could wrap himself up in his oversized tail (a built-in fur coat) if he gets cold. We have the same weather pattern as you this year. An early October snowstorm shooed all of our ground squirrels (and other digging creatures) into their holes for the winter. Fall temps came right back a week later but not so the squirrels. Surely they were well-prepared down under and are now enjoying their winter hibernation.

Yes, Fluff does have a built-in fur coat with that tail. When you mentioned how big their tails were a few weeks ago, I had this photo in mind. I’ve seen those squirrels use their long, furry tails like an umbrella when the snowflakes start flying fast and furiously. Interesting that all the ground critters scurried to their holes for the Winter. We have a couple of groundhogs at this Park, but I wouldn’t have noticed their absence as I only catch sight of them about three or four times a year. We’ve run the gamut of very high winds twice this week, snow one morning and today I went out to downright balmy weather. Crazy!

Miss Linda…………………………….I’m happy to meet “Puff” and “Fluff”…………………..actually today I drove to Monroe to visit with my pretend daughter and she was in the middle of feeding her pet fox squirrel in front of her house with peanuts and he was adorable and fun to watch……………it’s easy to fall in love with squirrels…………………………..I just wanted to tell you that!.

These squirrels sure are cute, as is Parker, but in a different sort of way because they are so petite and angelic looking. That sounds so cute Ann Marie. It is a relaxing way to begin my day.

All three are beautiful, and that fluffy tail. That is like his very own shelter over his head. So cute. I always love the one holding the cookie. That is a perfect shot.

I think they are beautiful too Sandra – even more so in real life, like when you see Mittens (although he is quite photogenic too). It is incredible how they hold that furry tail over their head and I have another picture similar to that one in this week’s Wordless Wednesday. It is a Fox squirrel. I’ve seen them in the Wintertime when it starts snowing while I am down at the Park and they do use it like an umbrella. Thank you Sandra – that is my favorite shot of Parker … I was lucky he picked that heart cookie up and faced me. 🙂

2 more squirrel pals to add to your ever-growing cast of characters! Even though those black squirrels are timid, I think they might be my favorites. They are just so darn cute!

Yes, more characters to share with you and cutie pies on top of it. Those jet-black squirrels are timid and a few, like this one, are starting to come around. I had to prove to them I was “safe” and not going to scoop them up and take them away from the Park. 🙂

I like the new kids on the block! They’re full of personality and charm! Looking forward to seeing more of them.

17. Great pictures but Parker is still my favorite!

18. Great names Linda! Fluff is my favorite! That Parker did hog all those cookies! I think he’s a horder!

19. bekitschig says:

Aaawwww, thank you Linda! They are too cute … I’ve worked my way up to a few decent squirrel pictures. Saturday in the park we even meet 2 ladies with peanuts who looked like crazy squirrel ladies. There seem to be lots of us 😉 Good for the fluffy tails!