It's Valentine's Day …

… and American Heart Month too.

I figured it was the perfect opportunity for another installment of “A Girl and Her Squirrel” – oh, I know I have inundated you with more posts than usual lately, and some were really long, with lots of words and pictures. So, since brevity is the soul of wit, it’s time to let the photos (and Parker) do the talking.

These pictures were taken on February 3rd after my walk. Parker was a real sweetie and I was lucky that he seized the opportunity to grab one of these big, heart-shaped cookies I took to the Park, hoping to get a cute shot or two of him or the others.

I placed some cookies on the picnic table near the inspirational graffiti, then sweetened the pot by scattering a few peanuts around as well. There was a large dog running around the Park that morning and all the squirrels had scurried up the trees, so I left a big pile of peanuts on the picnic table where they could access them after I was gone.

Parker was fearless and the only squirrel to discover the cache of treats, as you’ll see below:

“Cool! Linda brought peanuts AND sugar cookies.
Wow are they big!”
“I’ll take this cookie to the ground so no one else sees me,
‘cuz all these goodies are just for me, me, me!”
“Linda will want to take my picture, so I’ll turn the red sugar side toward her
so I’ll be especially photogenic.”
“BTW – that’s why I get the best treats, ‘cuz I’m smart;
Linda’s a pushover when it comes to me.”
[Looking around] … “Hmm, looks like I’m still the only one here,
so I’m not telling the other squirrels because ya snooze, ya lose!”
“Gee, I’m getting full – good thing I didn’t eat peanuts first!”
“Mama always said ‘don’t let your eyes be bigger than your stomach Parker’ so
I buried the rest of my cookie and went back for peanuts.”

Not everyone is a cookie monster. I left a few heart-shaped cookies for the “house squirrels” and they were not interested in the least (while I was there anyway, because the next morning they were all gone).

Happy Valentine’s Day to you and those who make you smile!

This entry was posted in holiday, nature, walk, walking and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to It's Valentine's Day …

A perfect photo with Parker holding the cookie. How sweet he is, 🙂 I love how they bury everything, I watch them do that all summer. I find corn cobs and walnuts everywhere. I picked the black walnuts off the ground at a park and brought them home, the plan was to bury them to see if they would grow. The squirrels buried them for me. But of coarse nothing grew from them.

He is a cutie isn’t he Sandra? I have about 20 pictures of him and the house squirrels checking out the cookies. I never know how lucky I’ll get as to getting a picture of him up close eating something festive … sometimes they just ignore apples or pumpkins or even Nutter Butters in favor of peanuts, but this time it worked out … I had to smile when I saw the header picture on the screen (and what are the chances he would have the red sugar side toward me?) Glad to give you a smile.

2. Parker is a darling. Loved the photos! The ones of Parker are precious, and I liked the cookies in the fence, too. Great going!

Thanks Anne – happy to provide a little smile on Valentine’s Day and he wasn’t even eating chocolate. I probably won’t see any squirrels this morning as it is just 4 degrees. They are likely tucked in their nests to keep warm.

• Did you walk when it was 4 degrees? We’ve walked at zero, but temps don’t go that low very often.

Well, I heard the weather report while getting dressed to go out and he said it was then 5 degrees and the wind chill was in double digits below zero! It was very cold, but the sun was out and didn’t seem that bad as I was really layered up. But the walking was not so great. They’ve been clearing the perimeter path well, but did not yesterday as we only had one inch of snow (supposed to be 3-6 inches, but not complaining). That snow and a little freezing precip messed things up on the path, even the parking lot. I walked just one loop and that was on the snowy grass … only two walkers. Hit up the squirrels and took the car for a little ride instead.

Parker is a delight, isn’t he? Those little paws holding that cookie are cute. Wonder how much more energetic he was after eating all that sugar.

He sure is a delight Ally. I was lucky to get this shot where he posed before taking off to eat it. I’ll bet he had a sugar high all day. He tried to bury the last 1/3 of it, but the ground was too frozen. We have 4 degrees right now – I’m going to try and walk, but I may be the only one walking or begging for peanuts at the Park.

4. Parker is a very funny squirrel 🐿. 😂😂😂 He’s so adorable 😍. And I love the captions you gave his pictures, I felt Parker was really making a conversation with me😅

5. In my ‘hood, the cookies would get snatched by the raccoons or possums before the squirrels. That may be because the squirrels have so much other food.

I was not happy to find out we had a big rat raccoon hanging around in the backyard, I’ll tell you that. I feed the “house squirrels” before I leave on my walk, and the peanuts are often gone by the time I take the car out of the garage and unhook the trickle charger, etc. – it goes fast. Then I get pleading looks if I don’t get away fast enough or when I come home … they do make me smile. This morning I had the pair of cardinals swoop down for peanuts – wish I had the camera handy but it was 5 above and double digits below zero wind chill. I had the camera, but decided to leave it inside my zippered pocket, but they were so pretty.

6. Margy says:

A very obliging squirrel!

7. Uncle Tree says:

Always cute! 🙂 HaPPy VaLeNTiNeS DaY! ❤

Great photos and great captions! Parker is so willing to try anything, I think he should host his own food show on the food network!

9. susieshy45 says:

These are the best pictures ever- the sugar cookies turned just right, the orange grey fur all brushed and sprite, and the eyes so shiny and bright, what more could one want for a great photo?
    Parker is a pro at this now.The cuter he looks and the more he cooperates the more oohs and aahs he gets.
    Happy Valentine’s day, Linda and Parker,
    Susie

Hi Susie –
      (Sorry your comment went to SPAM and I didn’t see it last night before I left WP).
      Glad to give you a smile. I was happy with Parker’s pose here … in fact, I thought it was great that he posed on the table with the cookie since most of the squirrels, including Parker, have grabbed a cookie from the table and just run off with it to eat it right away. They usually do that with other treats and peanuts too. In the Winter, they are more apt to just sit and eat it as no other food can be foraged from the frozen ground, so they stay put and eat their fill. I got my shot just before he jumped down to eat in peace. Notice how chubby he still is with his fat layer and thicker fur, courtesy of Mother Nature … give him a few months and more running around and they’ll be skinny again (and it’s not from giving up treats for Lent). 🙂

10. What an adorable picture Linda!!!!!

Those pictures of Parker with his heart cookie are perfect! So cute!!! No wonder he has captured your heart.

Happy Valentine’s Day, Linda!

Thanks Laurie – he is a sweetie isn’t he and that cookie held in his paws was the cutest shot I think I have gotten of him to date. I was looking forward to sharing it on my Valentine’s Day post.

12. Happy Valentines Day Parker and Linda – y’all are the best! xo kim

Thanks Kim and I was inspired by you to give the cookies to the squirrels after you remarked one of the treats a few weeks ago looked like it was heart-shaped. You put the bug in my ear, so glad you enjoyed it. ♥

Miss Linda………………………..Happy be-lated Valentines Day to you!………………………..I love Mr Parker eating the valentine heart cookies!

Thank you again for your Valentine’s Day card Ann Marie and I gave all the cookies to Parker and his pals and my “house squirrels” … I did not touch a bite of them. Wasn’t that nice of me? He sure was a cutie with that big heart-shaped cookie.

Love these photos! I had no idea squirrels would eat cookies!

15. Aw – such a sweet post, Linda. Parker’s posed perfectly too! Happy belated Valentine’s day – your kindness always warms my heart!

16. Oh what a lovely post on the girl and her squirrel. ❤❤ what better way to fill your heart with love than spending time with these beauties ❤

Glad you enjoyed it Zena – I really felt lucky to get that top picture with the cookie up close and in his paws. You are right – filling my heart with Parker is always a little joy in my life when I am at the Park,