Morning Munch.

We all enjoy our morning meal in different ways – some like a healthy breakfast, still others grab a cuppa Joe and nosh on a donut. Some of us prefer leaves. I saw this groundhog Friday morning. He was so intent on grabbing a bite to eat, he didn’t see me right away and this is the closest I’ve ever gotten to this roly-poly guy who lives in a burrow at Council Point Park. Since we were about to enter another heat wave I guess he figured that I was not going to beat him up for the brutal Winter that lingered on and on and … well you remember it and if you didn’t live through it, you read my posts where I was whining about it. Enjoy these pics and your day!

This entry was posted in nature, Uncategorized, walk and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Morning Munch.

He is plump. With claws that look menacing. You were a brave woman to get these photos, but I’m glad you did. I’ve never seen a wild groundhog this close-up before.

Thanks Ally – I was surprised that groundhog was out in the open as usually it is in the bushes, or like that one time when it was peering out of its burrow and giving me the stink eye. I’ve really only seen them in pictures too, like Pugsatawney Phil on Groundhog Day.

Thank you – it was fun seeing him/her there, as usually that groundhog is hiding in the bushes or peering out of his burrow. It was so focused on eating, that groundhog never saw me standing there. 🙂

2. downriverdem1 says:

Wow. He’s big.

Hi Cathy – I’ve been walking at Council Point Park for six years and I usually see the groundhogs at a distance. Earlier this year, you might remember he was in his burrow and all I could see was his head and he was glaring at me. I was really surprised to see him/her out in the open … how does one get that roly-poly just by eating leaves?

3. Shelley says:

He is definitely getting his fill – those luscious green leaves – yum! So fun that he posed for you!

That’s a first as he usually hides in the bushes or pops into his burrow – I took some pictures of him in his burrow looking out and he has another burrow I see him in – very long tunnel, pretty amazing to look at. I can’t see how eating those leaves made him look so roly-poly! It was fun to see him and he was only out a couple of minutes. Then he saw me and freaked out.

Great pics! He was so absorbed in chowing down he didn’t even notice you!

That’s right Joni and when he finally saw me out of the corner of his eye, he freaked out and ran into the bushes, but I was standing there for about 10-15 minutes before he saw me. I can’t figure out how leaves put on all that weight!

• Joni says:

That is true – it’s really just salad! They must eat something else? Mice, small rodents?

I have seen the groundhog munching on mulberries – in fact the squirrels climb up into mulberry trees and bushes to eat them. There are some walkers in the Park that eat the berries right off the trees … I wouldn’t do that, but then maybe they don’t know the critters and the birds climb up there and eat them. I just Googled as I wasn’t sure what groundhogs eat and it says:

Primarily, groundhogs eat grasses, clover, alfalfa, and dandelions. In addition, groundhogs like to eat garden fruits and vegetables like berries, apples, lettuce, corn, and carrots.

Years ago my mom and I went to the Toledo Zoo to see the koala bear exhibit – we didn’t know about the habits of a koala bear – in those days there was no Google and all we knew was that they ate eucalyptus leaves. They sleep most of the time because their diet is only eucalyptus leaves, but the exhibit had a person there answering questions and giving facts on them – she saw us come back several times because the koala bears were sleeping on the branches and doing nothing else (they looked like those squirrels sleeping on the branches in my post from a few weeks ago); she said the eucalyptus leaves are mostly water and they have no energy so they are tired all the time … so the exhibit was kind of a yawn (pardon the pun) … as a person who collected teddy bears for years, I was disappointed … I pictured seeing a handler cuddling a cute koala bear and feeding it leaves … nope, not at all. I don’t know how the groundhog could be that fat … it needs to be walking the pathway a few times per day. 🙂

• Joni says:

So they are vegans, and you hardly ever see a fat vegan. That’s interesting re the Koala bears not having energy and sleeping all the time – I guess you are what you eat. And they need some energy/protein bars.

And you see those cute pictures of people when they go to Australia with koala bears … these were boring. We went into the building where the hippopotamus lived. He had a big swimming pool plus an area where he could walk around. So we just got into the building and he was like a kid and took a flying leap and plopped into the water – water went spraying everywhere – my mom got soaked. She was not too happy about it either. 🙂

• Joni says:

It’s been years….decades…..since I’ve been to a zoo. I took my mom with me today to get some a few more beach pics for tomorrows blog, and we stopped at the children’s animal farm – what a disappointment. No ducks at all, as the pond water was just a layer of green algae/scum no thick one would want to swim in. Hardly any animals, but tons of those messy Canadian geese. It was a bit muddy, so I had to use a beach towel to clean the mud and geese crap off the wheels of her walker and then sanitize it when we got home! I took about a 100 pics but it was cloudy, and when I got home hardly a one turned out…..delete….delete. But my mom enjoyed the outing, and we had fries from the chip truck. I remember you posting the pics of the algae in your marsh post last week. It seems to be a common problem.

I went to Heritage Park’s petting farm for kids last year. They had Christmas in July and wanted to see Santa and Mrs. Clause and their reindeer (just the head reindeer, not the whole fleet) (fleet is not the word here) … very few animals and always eating or running into the barn. I’ve had days like that – take a lot of pictures and then blurry, or missing tails or heads – I had a ton of dragonfly pictures last weekend. I’ve taken some pics of algae at Council Point Park too – not used them yet and today the algae was gone, though it was bad last week. at our Park there are water lotuses – not a lot of them, but they are in bloom – that’s why I thought Lake Erie Metropark’s would be in bloom.

5. John says:

I really love your pictures, Linda!😊 Have never seen a groundhog except from the movie, Groundhog day! The movies Swedish name is Monday all the week…

Thanks John – that is the closest I’ve ever seen a groundhog either (except sticking his head out of the burrow and glaring at me last year). I’m probably the only person win the world who has not seen “Groundhog Day”!

6. Not an animal we get in the UK. Nice to see.

7. Ari says:

Awww how adorable!! I’ve never seen one even on photos 😁

I have never seen him out in the open either Ari. Or any other groundhogs. Usually he sees me and runs into the bushes, but this time he was so engrossed in leaf-eating, he didn’t see me standing there. 🙂

• Ari says:

I love seeing other people’s wildlife. We don’t have groundhogs so it’s such a cool experience seeing other people’s photos.

One of Bryan Fagan’s recommendations one time was a blogger in Australia – the amazing blooms that she sees on her walk just took my breath away – I visited the site in Winter here. I saw another groundhog on Saturday – this time he posed in the rocks. Lucky for me – I don’t see them that much. I enjoy the photos from around the world too – I’ve learned alot from my blogging interaction.

8. Cute critter! 🙂 Looks like he is eating tree leaves. Plenty of green there to eat for him. I can relate, being a vegetarian too.

I was surprised to see him out in the open Tom. And I’ve never seen him eating leaves before, just berries. Once I was near some mulberry tree and something moved and he was inside the tree eating berries not far from me – we both were startled at the same time. I’ve never seen him eating leaves before.

Fun pictures, Linda! It’s nice when you’re able to get up closer than normal. Thanks for sharing them.

Thanks Rebecca – glad you enjoyed them. I was happy I could do this post as it was odd seeing him out there in the open so I was able to see him and take pictures close up as well; a win-win morning.

Miss Linda………………………………cool pictures of Mr. Groundhog eating thatI can only remember it being freezing cold way back on February 2……………………………

Hi Ann Marie – that’s the first time I’ve ever seen him that close to take a picture of his whole body. I had the pic of him peeking out the burrow in the Spring or it is a glimpse of him on the pathway … this was near the houses as you go around the bend near the Wyandotte side where it is a little dense with the brush. He was feasting away – when he finally saw me … well, he freaked out a little and dropped his leaves and scurried off.

11. sharonchyy says:

You’re extremely good with photos, really good

I used to do battle with groundhogs in my garden. I would trap them and turn them loose several miles away near a lake. It was futile. I finally gave up and now buy all my veggies at a nearby farmer’s stand.
    You probably know this, but another name for groundhogs is “whistle pigs”. My oldest son used to whistle at groundhogs from our upstairs window. The groundhogs would immediately stop whatever they were doing, stand on their hind legs, and look around. It was funny to watch

I’ve heard that expression but didn’t realize they’d have such a reaction Laurie. So, with your newfound prowess in whistling, you could command them to leave the garden immediately, no trapping required. Whistle and line them up to exit the yard. My parents could never have a veggie garden because the squirrels and birds took bites out of the tomatoes and cast them aside … one bite, then they’d move on to the next tomato!

• Laurie says:

Ha! My whistling experiment was a failure. I never really learned to whistle with my fingers. It was funny to watch Ryan make them sit up, though.

I’ll have to try that next time I see one – I never knew the origin of that moniker. I whistle at the birds – they love it and continue on until I can’t whistle anymore as my mouth is dry or whatever … they are game though.

13. Eliza says:

Awesome! So cool he let you close enough (Yeah, I know he wasn’t aware)

14. Mackenzie says:

Hehe- you know I love my greens, but I’d have a hard time enjoying them for breakfast just plain like that! But good for the groundhog starting his day on a nutritious note, hehe.