Sojourn in the sticks.

I’m feeling a little weary this morning.  Over the weekend I walked almost 15 miles, drove about 80 miles and stayed up late to describe my adventures in two very long blog posts.  It is raining  right now, so here I sit, in my jammies, taking a load off my feet and writing about Sunday morning.

As you know, in a separate post I detailed my tour of the historic Grosse Isle North Channel Lighthouse and our delightful trip as we wended our way along East River Road through the historical neighborhoods and saw sites marking history-making events from long ago. We even caught a glimpse of a freighter and tug barge steaming down the Detroit River.

My lighthouse tour was at 1:00 p.m. so I had time to sneak in a walk at the Island’s nature preserve.  I hoped that on a peaceful Sunday morning I might be lucky enough to see a family of deer, but that didn’t happen.  Instead, I found it amusing that later in the day I would see deer in the exclusive neighborhood near the lighthouse, as our group waited to board the bus to return to the museum where we began the tour.

Earlier this Summer I’d made a few trips to the island looking for a good place to park and walk along the shoreline and/or trek through the woods.  A fellow walker at Council Point Park lives on Grosse Ile and had been showing me family of deer he kept seeing near his home.  So, he gave me some pointers on nature preserves and quiet places to see deer – this is one of them in  a Grosse Ile Open Space area.  These pictures were taken on a sunny day, the last time I visited this venue, but I took the same trails yesterday, but never took the camera out of the pouch as it was very dark and gloomy the entire day.

Grosse Ile Wildlife Sanctuary.

The morning was quiet as I pulled into this small nature preserve at Horsemill and Thorofare Roads.  It was woodsy, but not so dense that I didn’t feel comfortable walking there alone.

The occasional car whizzed by on Horsemill Road, but other than that, it was dead silent as I meandered through the woods.

Now, if you’re looking to immerse yourself in a little nature, just barely off the beaten path, this is the place to be.  It was quite humid and the scent of fresh mulch on the trails and heaped up nearby made for a heady experience.

The dappled sunshine showed me some of what this little nature preserve had to offer, like glimpses of water and sure footing as I walked along.

There were signs of interest, as well as facts and figures to make you say “wow – I didn’t know that!”

Unbelievably, both hour-long treks yielded no deer pics, as I had hoped; in fact, I saw no squirrels or birds, nary a bug or a butterfly, and not a single human either.

It was just the trees –n- me.

This entry was posted in nature, walk and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Sojourn in the sticks.

Your photos convey the quiet calm of the trail. I didn’t know MI had so many trails. No wonder you feel compelled to get out on them so often. Variety and opportunity are a great motivational gambit.

Thanks Ally – I must say it was peaceful both times I was there – not a soul around. I saw that pink sign touting Michigan’s land/water trails in a glass cabinet inside the woods and had to take a picture of it. I was amazed at how many trails are in Michigan. I know about the waterways as we are the Great Lakes State, but because I don’t own a boat, canoe or kayak, and I don’t know how to swim, I’ve never taken advantage of that form of recreation.

2. You made just the trees and you into a lovely post.

3. Ari says:

How lovely, though what a surprise that there was no butterflies or other insects, or birds. They must have found a juicy patch of land to hunt for their food instead. Stunning photos as usual

Thanks Ari. It was so peaceful – not a single creature there, and the funny thing was, later in the day I was on a lighthouse tour a mile or so away, and we were waiting on the bus, and a deer and fawns were a stone’s throw away. Of course, by the time I fumbled for the camera, they were gone and our bus showed up, so no shots.

• Ari says:

lol isn’t it always the case the minute you get your camera, they vanish! I find that with butterflies myself. I can be staring at one for 20 mins, then think “I’ll snap a photo” and suddenly off they go

That’s for sure Ari. A few months ago I was walking at the Park and a butterfly landed on my shoulder. Someone was talking to me and I could have had them take a picture but I figured it would fly off. I went around the perimeter path a good mile or so, and it was still hanging on my tee-shirt until it finally flew off!

4. Looks like you got in a peaceful walk around the park! I find critters often are the most active really early in the morning or late afternoon and early evening. I did watch a deer yesterday “prune” my wisteria on the other side of the fence!

Yes I have always found that too Sabine and when I go to Council Point Park, if I don’t go earlier in the day, the squirrels are not around. It is such a different experience the few times I’ve gone in the evenings and not just the slant of the sun – it is more like just walking in the neighborhood those times.

5. I love going to different nature trails. You get to see so many new things. So many interesting facts too!

It looks very peaceful and a good way to spend a restful Sunday….despite all the miles you put in!

I did enjoy it Joni – very peaceful there, and I will go back again as the walker at the Park told me once the leaves are gone the deer are easier to spot (however, they also run into your vehicles as well at that time of year, November being the worst, so maybe I need to take that idea under advisement for a little!

• Joni says:

It would be nice to get some pictures of Bambi up close. I have never seen one up close….just bounding across a field.

My friend lives in a rural area in New York and she has all kinds of photos she posts on Facebook of the deer traveling through her backyard (kind of like Shelley has from pics from her trail camera) … the deer come up to Carol’s door wall and peek in sometimes and they also eat her birdseed, berries from the berry bushes and all her hostas. But she still shows pictures and what a peaceful scene to see. I have this post that includes some of Carol’s “visitors” as well as a picture of me feeding a deer in Algonquin Park when I was six years old.

Sorry you didn’t see many animals, but you got some very nice nature photos! On hot humid days, little critters like to hunker down in the woods in the cool of the shade.

8. Eliza says:

You got to post a lot!!! Shame no squirrels although I do so love being out in the green.
    Love, light and glitter

9. Cool shots! 🙂
    Reminds me of a place that we used to frequent a lot when we were kids. It was the Sandridge Nature Center in Lansing, Illinois. They would occasionally find dead human body remains in nearby woods, but that didn’t stop us “loving nature” kids.
    These days, my advice, Linda, is to be extra cautious and to avoid rather woodsy places somewhat. There are just too many wack-jobs out there. Pepper-spray and whatever is recommended.

Yes, very peaceful and it was not dense at all, but I am careful Tom. I won’t go into a lot of wooded areas for that very reason. It is much more than just the fear of tick bites or mosquito bites. This was not far from the main drag. I do keep pepper gel and spray on me and a whistle but I am also mindful that I may not get a chance to use it either.

You had a big weekend! You need to take some time off work just to rest up from your weekend! 😉 It looks like a very pretty place to walk. Glad you could find a place that was woodsy, but you felt safe walking there by yourself. I am a little leary of trail running by myself now, but if a road was close by, I would probably feel safe. You are going to make your walking goal this year, no problem!

I did and was worn out this morning Laurie. It was just sprinkling and I admit I could have gone out, but decided to take it easy today – we are expecting rain most every day but in the afternoons so it won’t impact walking. I won’t go into the deep woods either – too many things going on these days. This was not far from the main drag so it was okay, but the bigger paved paths unfortunately are a better idea than the small rustic paths to be 100% safe.

11. Prior... says:

That did you know sign was cool and something to be proud of of

And the photos are wonderful –
    love that flower esp

12. Shelley says:

WOW – you’re in the right state to get your walking miles in! Great photos – despite the lack of squirrels and deer, you found lovely subjects to capture. Glad there weren’t any mosquitos to fight with too!!

13. you always seem to find something interesting in the seemly uninteresting subjects Linda!

Thanks Wayne – it sure was nice and peaceful in this little nature preserve in the sticks. They had big piles of mulch and had spread it on the trails and it smelled heavenly in the humid air. I took that picture of the old glacial rock and description of its origin, as I thought it might be of interest to you, because otherwise it was really nondescript. I liked that they identified the trees throughout the woods. And that sign – who knew Michigan had so many trails? They do not promote hiking here in Michigan – they are beginning to advertise the biking paths though.
      The tourism bureau is all about the waterways as we are the Great Lakes State. I think they should advertise the trails more – not this year though as most of them are soggy or muddy. As for tomorrow, after this torrential rain and storm, possibly severe, comes through later today, what parks aren’t flooded as of now, will surely be by tomorrow. We had almost three inches of rain Wednesday.

14. Sounds like it was a different kind of day for you whilst out in nature. Hope you didn’t miss the squirrels too much. There is something so beautiful about being surrounded by wise old trees who have seen it all ❤

I agree with you Zena. I am not inclined to go deep into the woods by myself, but this small wooded nature preserve had just enough nature and peace and tranquility without straying too far from the main road. I would like to go back when the leaves start to change color- I understand from a fellow walker who lives on Grosse Ile near the nature preserve that there are lots of deer there and when the leaves fall, there will be a better chance of seeing them out in the open.