Season’s Eatings.

HEADER

Summertime:  the weather is hot and the eatin’ is good.

Here in my part of town, if you’re going to splurge calorie-wise, or money wise to have a sweet frozen treat, the best place to go is Calder’s Dairy or Bob-Jo’s Frozen Custard Stand.  They are the local favorites and each place has been around for decades.  Thinking back … the only frozen sweet treat better than these two places, was sharing a grape popsicle with my best friend Linda Crosby while we sat in the two-ring wading pool back around 1960.  Yup, those were the best of times … you’d get one whole popsicle and have to break it evenly down the middle.  We’d be dripping popsicle juice into the wading pool and walking around with wide grape smiles until Mom washed off all the evidence.

Even more Summer delights are on the grill – burgers, hot dogs and ribs.  It’s a wonder we can fit into our clothes by Summer’s end, and that’s why we have to have plenty of fruits and veggies to balance our iced confection habits.

Today’s destination was a trip to beautiful Elizabeth Park followed by a short visit at the Lincoln Park Farmer’s Market

I left early to beat the heat because it was wicked hot once again (75 degrees and 89% humidity).  One more day of this sultry weather and we will have a short cool spell (thankfully).

I prefer trekking in Trenton’s Elizabeth Park on Sundays as there are less people, so the critters are usually more abundant.  On Saturdays there are kids with soccer practice and lots of parents watching them, so the parking spaces fill up fairly quickly.

As I said in one of my last trips to this venue, I vowed the next time I was here, that I would tote along some crusty bread to spread on the picnic table that is nestled in a woodsy area.  You may recall I watched a boule being broken up and placed onto the wooden table slats and the squirrels and birds just went crazy for it.  I had some errands yesterday, so was out and about and stopped at Meijer to buy a couple of fresh baguettes.

BAGUETTE ON SINK1

BAGUETTE CLOSEUP1.jpg

I thought it was only fitting to get French bread since yesterday was Bastille Day, and, even though our eyes may be focused on world sports events like Wimbledon tennis and World cup soccer, with France’s victory, I think everyone has forgotten all about the Tour de France!

I parked the car and set out, first walking along the River on the Boardwalk, always a treat, especially on a hot and sticky day like today.

I didn’t discriminate and just bring bread; nope, I brought some oyster crackers for any ducks along the shoreline and peanuts for the squirrels.

But, either the ducks were lying low this morning, or the heat had them hunkered down somewhere cooler, as they were nowhere near the water.

I headed up the incline to the footbridge and saw a cute squirrel in the trees.  He was eyeing me very suspiciously as if I might reach in there and grab him.

SQUIRREL CHECKING ME OUT

What I did reach for was my Ziploc bag of peanuts, hoping to entice him out of the tree and onto the bridge area.

He studied my every  move.

SQUIRREL ON BRIDGE POST

Then finally, his eyes traveled along the bridge where he saw me place some peanuts.  I guess he figured I was trustworthy, because off he scampered along the top of the footbridge to get some treats.

SQUIRREL ALONG THE BRIDGE

I did one trip around the entire perimeter of Elizabeth Park, and it was shady in most places.  That sure was welcome.  I saw some squirrels and there were geese as well, so there were opportunities to tender some crackers and more peanuts.

I had broken up the baguettes at home.  The smell was just delightful as I was tearing them into bite-size chunks, so, I just had to sample a chunk of bread slathered with peanut butter to ensure it tasted okay for the critters.  It tasted fine (more than fine), so I hung the bag of bread, along with some oyster crackers and peanuts, onto my fanny pack for easy access.  I am sure I was listing to one side as I walked, but hey – I aim to please (plus I wanted to get a few pictures of the food fest).  I located the spot where some kind souls have set up a feeding station for the birds adjacent to a wooden picnic table.  Here the feathered and furry friends come to gather and munch down.

I emptied the contents of the bread bag on one side of the long table, plus put some on the ground.  The oyster crackers and peanuts were scattered at the opposite end of the picnic table.  It was time for me to hang out under the shady tree to watch what happened next.

I had a ten-minute wait before the first munchkin came a’callin’.

AA ROBIN IS FIRST.jpg

Then the squirrels went to investigate the opposite end of the table.

SQUIRREL ON RIGHT SIDE OF TABLE

SQUIRRELS 2 ON RIGHT SIDE

I got my pictures taken, then had to move on to get some more steps in before heading out of the Park and to my next destination, the Lincoln Park Farmer’s Market.

FARMERS MARKET SANDWICH BOARD1

Our local Farmer’s Market is a weekly pop-up affair that is located on a busy corner here in Lincoln Park.  The vendors gather each Sunday from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., from May through October.  Here they set up tables to sell flowers by the flat or basket,  fruits and veggies fresh from their trees and/or fields and a variety of wares like candles, candy, honey, kettle corn and trail mix.  Something new this year was a catering service with steam tables offering hot food.  I usually try to stop at least once a year to visit.

These were some of the offerings:

STRAWBERRIES

PLANTS1

SQUASH BEANS BLUEBERRIES1

HAPPY HARVES WARES

HAPPY HARVEST WARES1

JAM AND JELLY

POUND CAKE1

CANDLESA.jpg

I perused and took photos, but didn’t buy anything and it was mighty hot by then and I had parked far away, so I hustled to the car, switched on the A/C and just relaxed a few minutes.

Suddenly it is Sunday evening as I’m writing this post after coordinating my photos – where the heck did the weekend go?

55 Responses to Season’s Eatings.

1. Michael says:

Wow everything looks so good I think it was a sort of peanut butter and fresh baguette though that was the killer for me

Ha ha – you know Michael, I didn’t come home with anything because I was bad with that baguette. I only eat whole-grain bread now and have for years, and can’t remember the last time I had a baguette in the house. Not only that, I have been eating this boring Jif peanut butter that has no sugar, lowfat and reduced sodium. It tastes like it too. And, while reading some healthy food article recently, I saw that you should not scrimp on peanut butter – buy the one that has nuts and is full fat because it is healthier (thought it would seem to be contrary to good health). I went and got a big jar last time at the grocery store. I love crunchy peanut butter. So I was bad with sharing the baguette with the critters. My mom and I did the South Beach diet about 12 years ago. She needed to lose weight and had orthopedic issues so could not exercise. Doctor recommended the South Beach Diet which is low carb done in three phases to eliminate carb cravings. I went on it with her so we didn’t have two different meals. One thing you were allowed to eat was peanut butter on celery sticks. They are tasty. I can hear my mom looking at them sitting on a plate and saying how excited she was to eat them and could hardly wait and she was not being facetious. The first phase (2 weeks) was just a killer.

• Michael says:

All there is something so delicious about creamy Nutty Peanut Butter on soft white bread that makes you want to completely drop on any side of diet and shove it down my face

I just love bread – a produce market used to make these parmesan sticks, which looked like a baguette, but much smaller. I’d go get them on Saturday morning, fresh out of the oven, and get home, split them open and have them just with butter… people would be lined up at the market to get them when they came out of the oven. I don’t go there anymore – it is better. I want to try Nutella after hearing about it when the Thai soccer team wanted Nutella on bread or toast as a treat as their first meal after being rescued.

• Michael says:

You’ve not had Nutella? Oh my goodness it’s a thing absolutely beauty you need to get some of you need to get some real soon you can spread it on anything

WordPress is wonky this morning … typed something and it went into cyberspace. No, I’ve not tried it and perhaps I should reward myself the next time I treat the birds to baguettes or maybe sooner. That sounds like my kind of treat.

• Michael says:

Works well with peanut butter too..

If u mix nu tell a with weetbix u get ferrero roch. I kid you not .. Same company makes both..

Really? I did not know that and I love those – haven’t had them since my mom passed away. They were a favorite of hers and we always had them in the house. I have to go grocery shopping this week so I will get some … we have a kind of tea biscuit here which would be similar – at least we used to … maybe even an Arrowroot biscuit like babies chew on.

• Michael says:

The ones you our milk on for breakfast…yum.yum.

2. There’s enough food on those picnic tables to feed people! 🙂

I know Tom, but I do help out the hungry people too. I walked in the Fish and Loaves Food Pantry 5K last month … it was to raise $$ for the local food pantries, plus I always give to the “Stamp Out Hunger” campaign. There would have been more bread had I not had a sizable chunk of that baguette – first time I’ve had white bread in ages, as I only eat whole-grain bread, but it smelled heavenly! It was a special treat for them since I don’t get there every week. I figured with our drought their natural fruit and berries may not be plentiful. Must look out for the underdog. 🙂

3. MMmmm those all look so yummy… (mmm squirrel)

4. Can’t believe you didn’t buy anything!

5. susieshy45 says:

Baguettes for the creatures ? I love you, Linda. You are a kind soul. Those squirrels’ tails are so beautiful- spread out like peacocks’. The Farmer’s market pictures were awesome- I commend you on avoiding temptation and not buying anything. I think I would have loved a pound cake, all to myself( that is my low carb thing talking, don’t mind me). I am sad there is no news of Parker any more.
    Peanut butter, without sugar or with is heavenly and one of the things I can die for. The park is all green and not brown as one would have expected with all this scorching heat.
    Susie

They love that bread Susie. This was at Elizabeth Park which has many more geese than at Council Point Park, plus many squirrels as well. Their ducks are everywhere, along the shoreline and in a big pond, all out in the open, so you can feed them, so I usually take oyster crackers which they love.

As to the bread, in Elizabeth Park, someone set up a feeder station near this picnic table. It is awesome as they have multiple bird feeders and suet holders and people fill them up. Maybe someone who likes the birds but cannot have a feeder at their home or apartment? And I was in this spot in the Park a few month ago and someone came along with a huge boule and broke it up for the birds and left it there. I wanted to get a boule, but they were so hard and crusty that I thought I wouldn’t be able to pull it apart, let alone take a piece for myself. So I got baguettes instead. 🙂 They loved it.

That Jif peanut butter (“Simply Jif”) I have been using for several years, but after reading it is actually healthier to have the real peanut butter or the “natural” peanut butter, since the nuts and oils are good for you, I just bought a jar of crunchy regular Jif recently. I was in Heaven – I love peanut butter and that other stuff was the creamy variety but seemed tasteless to me. I’m not a fan of the natural peanut butter either – too oily tasting. I want to try Nutella after hearing the Thai soccer team boys who were trapped in the cave, wanted bread or toast with Nutella on it as soon as possible. I should have bought that when I bought the bird bread.

I am sad not to see Parker, but more squirrels have returned, plus a group of young ones as well. I can tell by their attitude toward me. They don’t recognize me, don’t gravitate toward me and, if I lay out peanuts, they don’t know what to make of it. They sniff, but don’t eat them right away, sometimes scampering back to wherever they came from.

The Park is green there because there are many trees – my lawn looks brown and crispy right now. We are scheduled to have rain and a thunderstorm tonight, (it was already rumbling just as soon as I got on ‘Reader”), but tomorrow we’ll get torrential rains and several rounds of thunderstorms. I was going to go grocery shopping, but after losing all my food to the last power outage, I just ran in and picked up a few things.

• susieshy45 says:

When I read your posts and about people who still look out for animals and treat even those in the wild as their own, my faith in humanity is restored. Thank you for sharing such stories- the table, the bread put out etc..,

Susie – [I was typing a response and WordPress flipped out on me and went into a comment area I’ve never been before … a split screen look … sigh.] I do think that animals can bring people together, whether they are domesticated animals or wildlife. Look at all the people standing watching the turtle laying eggs. Many of them I pass in the Park and say “good morning” but here we all are having a group conversation about turtles and their young. And, on social media, I often read the comments on news stories … people can be venomous toward one another sometimes, but, when there is a story about how a fireman rescued ducklings from a storm drain while Mama duck stood by anxiously awaiting the outcome, people … the same regular commenters, all mellow out and are in agreement how nice that was as opposed to when people sometimes intentionally hurt animals for sport … these same commenters rallying for the cause of the animals. It is interesting to watch human behavior like that. I see it with babies and children as well, but more so for animals.

6. TJ says:

Looks like a wonderful Farmer’s Market!

It is nice but small TJ, and they set up on a busy street corner. I think I usually go in mid-July and there is much more fruits and veggies there, but I guess the crops are probably slow this year due to the cold Spring. You and I like the Fall and I have passed by in the Fall when they had bouquets of sunflowers and pumpkins sitting out. I almost wish it was Fall after this hot day. We have heat tomorrow but torrential rain and storms tomorrow, then three days of cool weather, then a whole lot of rainy days. You’ll get a break from the heat and from watering at least, if you get similar weather to down here.

7. Ann Marie stevens says:

Miss Linda…………………………..actually I’m saying that to myself right now too…………………….where did that weekend go?…………………….thanks for the tour of Lincoln Park’s Farm Market………………………..I used to take another lady to visit it every Sunday………………….we always came home with something because it looked good

The weekends seem to flit by way too fast Ann Marie. Not only do weekends go by quickly but Summer is speeding by (even with this incessant heat). I took a picture of the hot food but it was too dark so didn’t use it. That is something newer – looked and smelled good though.

8. What a nice spread you laid out for the critters! I’ve also read that they are finding that fat (within reason, of course) can actually be good for us so enjoy your peanut butter! The important thing is to make sure it doesn’t contain added sugar. Isn’t it crazy how what used to be “good” is now bad, and what used to be “bad” is now good?! Fortunately, the birds and squirrels don’t need to worry about such foolishness.

Yes the birds and squirrels don’t worry about cholesterol or their weight – lucky them! Remember when we ate red licorice for years, then were told it was bad for us? Then eggs are good, then bad, and now it is okay to have eggs once a day … and whole fat dairy is fine too. Now it is okay in moderation, after drinking skim milk that tastes like water for years. Last week I heard that Sucarol, a sugar substitute, is very bad for you and can cause onset of diabetes – regular sugar is bad for your teeth. I don’t know how we lived so long already Janis!

9. I think it’s great that you spread out treats for the critters and wait for them to pose for you.

I really like to see them there on that table coming together, doesn’t matter whether it is squirrels or birds, the jays will fly down and grab something and take off again, a woodpecker as well, and the other birds and squirrels will linger. They don’t bother one another on that table … in the backyard feeders I used to see the squirrels terrorize the birds by hopping onto the feeder and the birds would sit nearby with sad faces and watch the squirrel gobbling up their seeds. I should put this into a blog post, because it as if they forget they are different species, and are just there to fill their bellies, tolerating each other’s presence.

10. John says:

Here in Sweden the farmers lost up to 50% of theirs harvest. The government must help the farmers and they have also asked EU about help, but I wonder if they give us some… Sweden and Germany is the 2 countries who pay most to the European union so I hope we will get something back. It’s much money.

I hope that the EU helps out … if the farmers cannot salvage their crops or feed their livestock, not only will they not be able to sustain their families but do you think it could be a recession there in Sweden? I wonder if the U.S. would help out? Likely not this administration.

It is a very sad situation for your country… we had a big freeze in the Spring a few years ago, all the flowering fruit trees, especially the cherry and apple crops for which Michigan is a big producer, were damaged. The buds came out and opened, then a killing frost killed off the buds. The farmers lost a lot of their crops that year and cherries and apples were expensive and were brought in from other states until the following year when the crops stabilized again.

Love the photos of the squirrel “eyeing” you. What a nice way to spend the day, even if it did pass quickly! I really enjoy Farmer’s Markets.

Rebecca – at least I have luck getting squirrel pictures because when you are seeing them eye to eye, they seem to freeze in place sometimes. This guy kept eyeing me like I was invading his personal space – it was really funny. I like Farmer’s Markets too. They did not have as much as they usually do yesterday, and I’m thinking this is because it was a cool Spring and the farmers did not sow their seeds as early as usual. My mom used to love new potatoes and beefsteak tomatoes and we would drive out into the country to the roadside stands to get them every August and September. Then they started the Farmer’s Market in our city, so by August they were plentiful and I’d go every Sunday. They don’t sell beefsteaks or new potatoes in our grocery store. When it is Fall, they will sell pumpkins, and some gourds and also sunflower bouquets – I will have to go back again. All the bigger farm markets are only open on weekdays and only during the day.

12. I bet your furry friends could reduce that Pound cake to crumbs in a few minutes!

I’ll bet they would! I need to treat them to some oatmeal cookies with raisins sometime or baked goods instead of boring bread the next time I go. I got those miniature “Nutter Butters” for the squirrels and they are sandwich cookies with peanut butter in between. They loved those and they’d finish them off and come scrambling back for more. We have no-brand oatmeal cookies and they are inexpensive, so that will be my next treat. The squirrels are starting to come back and there are young ones in the bunch … I’ve taken some pictures but I been very busy at work and having to stay later in the evenings, so I’ve not had as much time to write posts and keep up in Reader and do comments/replies. We were slated for a stormy night and I shut my computer early and went to bed last night.

One of the walkers who feeds the squirrels has suggested to me that the squirrels were not hiding from a predator bird at all, but enjoying the mulberries and other berries in the Park right now and so not as “needy” for peanuts yet. I did point out “Stubby” though and told him you suggested it could be a dog since it might have been a ground attack judging from the way the tail was missing. He agreed with you and said not to worry about hawks or eagles and perhaps the squirrels are also attending to their young who were about to leave the nest. I have some pictures of young squirrels to write about … they don’t know me and don’t understand what peanuts are … I set them out, they run away. I’ll have to work on those critters a bit to get them used to me and what peanuts are for. 🙂 Skinny bodies and skinny tails … youngsters.

• try to give them natural foods as possible & leave any processed or sugar foods at home.

Yes, I do except I treated them once to Nutter Butters and Parker last year got a bag of M&Ms. I take apples that get withered as well. I have some safflower seeds I bought for the cardinals at the Park. Years ago I had a cardinal at the house who loved them. She had a nest in the barberry bushes and every night when I got home from work I gave her a Dixie cup of safflower seeds on the patio and she enjoyed them. She’d see me coming up the sidewalk, then come out of the barberry bush and wait there ’til I went in the house and got her treat. I tried to treat the cardinals at the Park, and they turn their nose up (beak up?) at them, preferring to scam the squirrels’ peanuts instead.

• oh oh…….A Cardinal gang causing trouble! Next thing you know they’ve moved in & your suitcase is packed by the roadside!

13. Everything at that Farmer’s Market looks delicious. The only way I eat natural chunky peanut butter, is when I dip dark Belgian chocolate in it. The best combination! 🙂

I’m not a fan of wildlife feeding, because it makes those critters dependent on humans. Their ability to find their own food will diminish and they might die because of it. When feeding bigger animals in nature (like bears), they might become aggressive and might have to get killed.:-(

Liesbet – the Belgian chocolate and chunky peanut butter does sound wonderful and dark chocolate is good for you, so nibble away on that combination.

This is a bigger park than I usually walk in and people set up multiple feeders and suet holders to cater to various birds. I hope they do this all Winter at this Park when food is scarce and there are no grubs or berries that the birds can find. I try to get to Elizabeth Park at least once a month and it is not that woodsy to have bears, or even deer, so no worries with feeding them “people food”, but I would not do it at a state park which is a more heavily wooded area. We have had incidents where I live, (which is not rural at all), where coyotes are coming into the city and attacking small dogs. This has been happening the past few years, but there has been much construction of new freeways (one such project nearby began in February 2017 and goes through November this year). The new expressways go through formerly wooded areas and the animals are scared and come running out. Very sad for the animals as humans continue to ravage their territory.

14. sharonchyy says:

They look so fresh and good!

15. Another day of you sharing your kindness with the wildlife, you are so thoughtful. I absolutely love it. The farmers market food sounds lush too.

It was a a fun day Zena – I do like catering to those birds and squirrels, especially since the squirrels at Council Point Park have not been around as much as usual, although their youngsters are around, but not sure who I am and don’t like taking peanuts from me; they turn around and run away. In time, they will learn I’m treating them and come around and the magic will begin with them as well. 🙂

16. Ellie P. says:

Dang, now I’m hungry! Mmm, let’s slather some o’ that homemade jam on that French bread, with strawberries afterwards, and… yeah, I could do with half a popsicle. I’ll split it with you!

17. lindasschaub says:

Now this is bizarre because I know I wrote you back Ellie, so likely it went to SPAM at your end. Was it me calling you a “berry girl” that did it? I know you said you loved berries so figure you liked those strawberries in the photo. I did respond saying that the bites of baguette were delicious, despite me eating only whole grain and rustic bread for several years now … it smelled so fresh when I opened the wrapper. They had boules, which is what I wanted, however, they were quite pricey and not that large, so I went with baguettes instead. I wonder if they still make the twin popsicles … if you tried to split them, occasionally they would split badly with one person getting 3/4s of a popsicle and the other a measly 1/4 portion.